The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

The Grand Sophy (1950)

by Georgette Heyer

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (Bjace)
    Bjace: While it's not in the same genre, the books are similiar. Both Sophy and Flora Post are Miss Fix-its, whose practical, problem-solving approach to life is a contrast to the silliness of their relatives. Also, both are delightful reads in different ways.
    Lord Rutherford's Last Retort by Elizabeth Harcourt (ClareDauncey)
    Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer (moonsoar)
    moonsoar: The main females in both books are up to the same sort of shenanigans in both books.

English (98)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (103)
When I first wanted to try Heyer's romances to see what all the fuss was about, the two books that were most often recommended to me were this one and Frederica. I started with this one, and it was the beginning of a beautiful relationship between Georgette and me.

The Ombersleys are leading a relatively quiet life among the Upper Ten Thousand of British society in the Regency period, when Lady Ombersley's brother, a diplomat who lives abroad mostly, drops his 19-year-old daughter, Sophia, on them for an extended visit. Sir Horace is being sent to Brazil and doesn't want to take Sophy along (her mother having died when she was a little girl).

It doesn't take long for Sophy to upend the family, with her gifts of pet monkeys and knack for ruffling the feathers of high society in general and stodgy eldest son Charles in particular. It's a madcap ride toward the eventual happy ending for all involved, and Heyer's deft touch with meticulously recreating the time period combined with her sly sense of humor keeps the pages turning all the way. ( )
  rosalita | Jul 17, 2018 |
I first read this book 50 years ago. The re-read had me laughing out loud many times. I believe the word "irrepressible" suits Ms. Sophy well. I thought it was delightful that her father had her number and that she found a man who was not only willing to take her on but knew exactly what he was getting into in doing so. Such fun. ( )
  whymaggiemay | May 7, 2018 |
This is my favorite of Heyer's Regency Romances and that's saying something.( I've read nearly all of them and have been disappointed once.) Heyer has a light, witty voice that is fantastic. I listened to the audiobook and laughed out loud throughout, and received more than one strange glance from my family. Sophy is a delightful character. She is easily in my top five characters of all time.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ( )
  MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |
Love all Georgette Heyer's books. She's the next best thing to Jane Austen--and that's very high praise.
  Louisetitchener | Mar 3, 2018 |
I enjoyed the Sophy character tremendously, so perhaps rated this with more stars than I might normally, given the plot's shortcomings. The story was a bit strange where her father's paramour the Marquesa was involved. The dénouement [spoiler!!] where Charlbury is winged and the imbroglio at Sophy's family country estate is too elaborate and comes across as forced. Overall the portrayal of the other characters was hugely amusing ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jul 1, 2017 |
"By now entrenched in the Regency subgenre she had created, for her next novel, The Grand Sophy, Georgette Heyer created a protagonist able to both challenge its rules and manipulate its characters, and a tightly knitted plot whose final scene almost begs for a stage dramatization. The result is either among her best or most infuriating books, depending upon the reader. I find it both."
added by lquilter | editTor.com, Mari Ness (May 28, 2013)

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Woodward, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The butler, recognizing her ladyship's only surviving brother at a glance, as he afterward informed his less percipient subordinates, favored Sir Horace with a low bow, and took it upon himself to say that my lady, although not at home to less nearly connected persons, would be happy to see him.

When the redoubtable Sir Horace Stanton-Lacy is ordered to South America on diplomatic business, he leaves his only daughter Sophy with his sister's family, the Ombersleys , in Berkeley Square. Upon her arrival, Sophy is bemused to see her cousins in a sad tangle. The heartless and tyrannical Charles is betrothed to a pedantic bluestocking almost as tiresome as himself; Cecilia is besotted with a beautiful but feather-brained poet; and Hubert has fallen foul of a money-lender. It looks like the Grand Sophy has arrived just in time to sort them out, but she hasn't reckoned with Charles, the Ombersleys' heir who has only one thought - to marry her off and rid the family of her meddlesome ways...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140221894X, Paperback)

Sophy sets everything right for her desperate family in one of Georgette Heyer's most popular Regency romances.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:18 -0400)

When Lady Ombersley agrees to take in her young niece, no one expects Sophy, who sweeps in and immediately takes the ton by storm. Sophy discovers that her aunt's family is in desperate need of her talent for setting everything right: Ceclia is in love with a poet, Charles has tyrannical tendencies that are being aggravated by his grim fiancee, her uncle is of no use at all, and the younger children are in desperate need of some fun and freedom. By the time she's done, Sophy has commandeered Charles's horses, his household, and finally, his heart.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,023,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible