The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

The Grand Sophy (1950)

by Georgette Heyer

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (Bjace)
    Bjace: While it's not in the same genre, the books are similiar. Both Sophy and Flora Post are Miss Fix-its, whose practical, problem-solving approach to life is a contrast to the silliness of their relatives. Also, both are delightful reads in different ways.
    Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer (moonsoar)
    moonsoar: The main females in both books are up to the same sort of shenanigans in both books.

English (80)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (85)

I had a bad start with Georgette Heyer. The first two books I'd read didn't impress me and I didn't think much of those characters. Then I stumbled upon [b:Frederica|311196|Frederica|Georgette Heyer|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1395082866s/311196.jpg|2128291] and really wished that it wasn't just good luck. Well, I can say now that it wasn't an accident because The Grand Sophy is just as entertaining, lovely, humorous and occasionally over the top as Frederica, maybe even more.

From the start, when her father asks his sister to take care of her while he is in Brazil, you know you are in for a treat. The way he understates her personality is hilarious. His 'taking little thing' arrives with her monkey, a dog and her larger than life personality and the Ombersleys get help they didn't even know they needed.

This is a humorous book with exaggerated situations and people and I enjoyed it very much.
It might even work for people who don't usually read romance because there is so little of it here. You get it in the end, of course, but the book itself is more about the family and Sophy's way of dealing with problems. ( )
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
The unconventional and very independent Sophy stays with her aunt and uncle, and untangles varying problems in the lives of her cousins. This is a classic Georgette Heyer Regency romance, with cleverly interwoven plotlines, great characterisations, and gentle humour.

I re-read this every few years and thoroughly enjoy it every time. Sophy is one of the best of Heyer's creations and the plotting is brilliant.

Definitely recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Quite an enjoyable read once I got into the book. Laughed aloud multiple times at the irony and humor in Heyer's characters and situations. Would definitely recommend. ( )
  thea-block | Jan 25, 2016 |
Memorable characters, witty dialogue—a screwball comedy done Regency style! What a fun read! ( )
  Bluebird1 | Jan 14, 2016 |
This was a very funny book and normally I would say it was a joy too read but I'd forgotten what an antisemite Georgette Heyer was. That antisemitism comes out in in full force in this book. If it weren't for that I might have rated this book higher. I read this book many years ago and didn't think too hard about the antisemitism but this time it hit me like an iron bar. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jan 14, 2016 |
The butler, recognizing her ladyship's only surviving brother at a glance, as he afterward informed his less percipient subordinates, favored Sir Horace with a low bow, and took it upon himself to say that my lady, although not at home to less nearly connected persons, would be happy to see him.

When the redoubtable Sir Horace Stanton-Lacy is ordered to South America on diplomatic business, he leaves his only daughter Sophy with his sister's family, the Ombersleys , in Berkeley Square. Upon her arrival, Sophy is bemused to see her cousins in a sad tangle. The heartless and tyrannical Charles is betrothed to a pedantic bluestocking almost as tiresome as himself; Cecilia is besotted with a beautiful but feather-brained poet; and Hubert has fallen foul of a money-lender. It looks like the Grand Sophy has arrived just in time to sort them out, but she hasn't reckoned with Charles, the Ombersleys' heir who has only one thought - to marry her off and rid the family of her meddlesome ways...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140221894X, Paperback)

Sophy sets everything right for her desperate family in one of Georgette Heyer's most popular Regency romances.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:18 -0400)

When Lady Ombersley agrees to take in her young niece, no one expects Sophy, who sweeps in and immediately takes the ton by storm. Sophy discovers that her aunt's family is in desperate need of her talent for setting everything right: Ceclia is in love with a poet, Charles has tyrannical tendencies that are being aggravated by his grim fiancee, her uncle is of no use at all, and the younger children are in desperate need of some fun and freedom. By the time she's done, Sophy has commandeered Charles's horses, his household, and finally, his heart.… (more)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,143,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible