Mary Barton (1848)

by Elizabeth Gaskell

2,334594,918 (3.65)1 / 221
This is Elizabeth Gaskell's first novel, a widely acclaimed work based on the actual murder, in 1831, of a progressive mill owner. It follows Mary Barton, daughter of a man implicated in the murder, through her adolescence, when she suffers the advances of the mill owner, and later through love and marriage. Set in Manchester, between 1837-42, it paints a powerful and moving picture of working-class life in Victorian England.… (more)
    Emma by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    kara.shamy: In some ways the heroines in these two novels are alike, but they are very different in other respects, and more strikingly, their respective journeys to the altar/married life go in diametrically opposite ways, in a sense! Both are true classics in my estimation; reading these two novels exposes the reader to two of the greatest English-language novelists of all time in the height of their respective powers. While all readers and critics do not and will not share this superlative view, few would dispute these are two early female masters of the form and are well worth a read on that humbler basis ;) Enjoy!… (more)
    How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn (charlie68)
    charlie68: Both novels portray clashes between management and workers and there sometimes tragic consequences.
    Daniel Deronda by George Eliot (kara.shamy)
    Hard Times by Charles Dickens (shemthepenman)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Cecrow)
    Nice Work by David Lodge (KayCliff)
    A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Writings (Penguin Classics) by Charles Dickens (charlie68)
    charlie68: The character's of John Barton and Ebenezer Scrooge compliment each other.
    Shirley by Charlotte Brontë (MissBrangwen)

Life for the Victorian poor and a murder to solve. ( )
  dimajazz | May 7, 2021 |
Really enjoyed the first half of the novel, found the second half a slog. I wish Gaskell had been less quick to forgive the 'masters'! ( )
  shemthepenman | Apr 24, 2021 |
I really enjoyed listening to this book. It detailed the heart-wrenching plight the poor endured in Victorian England. It was written around the time Dickens was writing his earlier novels. It went into the desparate measures people can resort to out of deprivation and desparation, from prostitution to murder. So sad that many of our ancestors endured (and some people still do) such horrid living conditions in many parts of the world throughout history. Such needless suffering that all could have (and still could be) prevented. ( )
  Stacy_Krout | Apr 1, 2021 |
A far finer-grained report of the ways, means and place of 19th century industrial England than Dickens, I think, so much so that I'm slow to consider reading Dickens again for a long time. Not like I ever did. Without his condescension and bubbly optimism there is space in Gaskell's mostly lean prose for all the good stuff: children and old people dying one after the other, a legitimate if truncated plot about the labor struggle, and the daily habits of starvation. In the labor piece we witness the absurd pretense at powerlessness on the part of the bosses to prevent starvation, a bold, callous and moralistic lie that we all need to see nenuded in the Trump age.
Also present are a few small turns to the audience for a polemic message as we love so much from Harriet Beecher Stowe, and on the other hand some appeals to the religious view that now seems backward but rings true and honest in Gaskell's voice and in her time. At the end she chickens out and makes things come out easy, with a moralistic upbeat conclusion, but that's to be expected from the era. An excellent book that must not be forgotten! ( )
  EugenioNegro | Mar 17, 2021 |
A bit to dense and slow for me.
Despite that probably something that I'll reread someday and would advice others to read. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |

Strimban, JackCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strimban, RobertCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uglow, JennyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, EdgarEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There are some fields near Manchester, well known to the inhabitants as 'Green Heys Fields,' through which runs a public footpath to a little village about two miles distant.
Mary Barton owes its inception to very personal events, hinted at in the first sentence of the Preface ('circumstances that need not be more fully alluded to'). (Introduction)
Three years ago I became anxious (from circumstances that need not be more fully alluded to) to employ myself in writing a work of fiction. (Preface)
Oh Mary! many a hasty word comes sorely back on the heart, when one thinks one shall never see the person whom one has grieved again!

The story is set in the English city of Manchester during the 1830s and 1840s and deals heavily with the difficulties faced by the Victorian lower class.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014043464X, 0141039388, 0141199725

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,529,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible