The Princesse de Cleves by Madame de La…

The Princesse de Cleves (1678)

by Madame de La Fayette

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (andejons)
    andejons: Similar premises: married, upper class women fall in love with men of less than perfect moral standing. The outcomes are very different though.
    Madame de Pompadour by Nancy Mitford (agmlll)

English (35)  French (8)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (46)
1634-1693
  Marjoles | Mar 15, 2019 |
I think there's a good story in here somewhere. I wasn't fond of the writing style and there were way too many characters mentioned for me to keep track of who was who. The end was especially disappointing. To see happiness that comes along so rarely in life so close at hand, and to see Madame de Cleves just walk away from it was so frustrating! ( )
  ErinMa | Feb 22, 2019 |
My only criticism of my copy of this book is that it doesn't tell me whose translation it is. I'd been aware of Princess of Cleves for a long time but it wouldn't have occurred me to read it, but as I got it from SantaThing, I now had it and once I got into it, I enjoyed it very much. ( )
  mari_reads | Jul 21, 2018 |
Studied this in university back when I hadn't figured out I was asexual so had a tricky time explaining to my boyfriend that the reason I loved it so much was that the girl decided not to get with the guy (whom a friend and I had dubbed the Jerk de Nemours). Lol, good times.

Still remember all the literary discussion about the significance of watching/seeing, and all that guff; and still love it. The Jerk de Nemours strikes me even more now as a creepy stalker dudebro. Her husband also comes across as more controlling and sulky. Retiring to a Pyrenean convent remains the best possible solution. ( )
  zeborah | May 13, 2018 |
Court intrigue on being trapped by roles, societal and self-imposed, and how decisions get made vis-à-vis desire or conscience. ( )
  encephalical | Jan 15, 2018 |

Ortiz, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prins-Willekes Macdonald, I.E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swarth, HélèneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swarth, HélèneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
At no time in France were splendour and refinement so brilliantly displayed as in the last years of the reign of Henri II.

Considered to be the first true French novel and a prototype of the early psychological novel.

This groundbreaking novel made a splash when it was initially published in 1678, changing the course of literary fiction forever. Rather than following in the same vein as the one-dimensional romances that preceded it, The Princess of Cleves tackles its characters' inner dilemmas with unprecedented sophistication and nuance.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible