Madame Bovary (1857)

by Gustave Flaubert

22,325336114 (3.75)5 / 860
The text of this Norton Critical Edition is based on Eleanor Marx Aveling's celebrated translation, revised by Paul de Man.
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (roby72)
    The Awakening by Kate Chopin (StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: This is the American version of Madame Bovary - set in turn of the century Louisiana.
    The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton (Limelite)
    Limelite: Essentially the same greedy, social climbing woman who gets herself into money troubles and manipulates men to get out of them -- but with more success. Similar commentary on society, but instead of the bourgeoisie of village France it's the upper crust of NYC of nearly the same time but without the trenchant humor of Flaubert.… (more)
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (DLSmithies)
    DLSmithies: Don Quixote was Flaubert's favourite book, and I've read somewhere that the idea of Madame Bovary is to re-tell the story of Don Quixote in a different context. Don Quixote is obsessed with chivalric literature, and immerses himself in it to the extent that he loses his grip on reality. Emma Bovary is bewitched by Romantic literature in the same way. There are lots of parallels between the two novels, and I think putting them side by side can lead to a better understanding of both.… (more)
    Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Both works are about women who would do anything to gain a life of luxury.
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (Booksloth)
    The Awakening and Selected Short Stories {9 stories} by Kate Chopin (Dilara86)
    The Red and the Black by Stendhal (LittleMiho)
    Effi Briest by Theodor Fontane (roby72)
    The Bad Girl by Mario Vargas Llosa (browner56)
    browner56: The stories of two women, separated by 150 years, who search desperately for something they never find. Flaubert's legendary protaganist is the role model for Vargas Llosa's "bad girl".
    The Female Quixote by Charlotte Lennox (allenmichie)
    Something to Declare by Julian Barnes (KayCliff)
    Flaubert's Parrot by Julian Barnes (KayCliff)
    Mrs Craddock by W. Somerset Maugham (soylentgreen23)
    soylentgreen23: 'Mrs Craddock' evidently shares a lot in common with Flaubert's masterpiece, especially in terms of its representation of a woman married to a dull man, who wishes to have a renewed taste of passion, despite the likely terrible consequences.
    Sodom and Gomorrah by Marcel Proust (caflores)
    Die, My Love by Ariana Harwicz (potenza)
    potenza: Man Booker Intl finalist. Woman on the edge. Brutally feminist.
    The Doctor's Wife by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Lapsus_Linguae)
    Lapsus_Linguae: Both heroines love novels and wish to lead an adventurous life but instead, they both get married to down-to-earth medical men who, despite a sincere affection, never understand them.
    The Home and the World by Rabindranath Tagore (CGlanovsky)
    Serious Men by Manu Joseph (orangewords)
    Een zuivere liefde by Sofja Tolstaja (Monika_L)

Europe (49)
1850s (16)
Romans (17)
Read (17)

English (275)  Spanish (19)  Dutch (7)  French (7)  Italian (7)  German (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (1)  Galician (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (334)
Post-apocalyptic fiction is an interesting genre to me (and evidently many others, though I wonder what this says about America), primarily because modern civilization has gotten so comfortable that the idea of breakdown and collapse has a sick fascination to it: what would happen to me when the lights go out and don't come back on? For a long time I was afraid that this genre was going to be monopolized by an endless parade of tedious zombie nerdbait (how many Night of the Living Dead knockoffs do we really need?), but apparently I just wasn't looking hard enough, because Blindness was wonderful. The writing style is pretty interesting: nameless people talking to each other in quotation mark-less blocks of text for pages and pages at a time in a nameless country, though unlike some other books I've read that have used this conceit, the characters are all well-fleshed-out and relatable. The plot - an epidemic of sudden blindness strikes an unnamed country and a small group of people led by a mysteriously unaffected woman tries to survive – is fairly straightforward, but what makes the book memorable is the artful detail in this world. It reminded me of a much more literary version of the first half of Stephen King's The Stand in its depictions of the blindness' catastrophic effects, but Saramago's decision to focus the action on the asylum where the victims are quarantined and the savage Lord of the Flies atmosphere inside makes for a much more interesting psychological landscape. He won the 1998 Nobel Prize and I picked this book up after he died since it seemed to be one of his most-liked, I think I'll grab The History of the Siege of Lisbon next. ( )
  aaronarnold | May 11, 2021 |
I can't get past his style of writing. The story may be good but the telling is dreadful. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
Well, it was OK. I am glad I did read it, as it is one of those books that somehow we are expected to read at some point in time. It is just like going to Paris and not going up the Eiffel Tower, type of thing. So there, I can cross this one out of the book bucket list.

But I do find it interesting that a book that is nothing more than a cautionary tale of the perils a romantic woman may fall prey was so vilified by the same Victorian society that should had embraced it. One would think it would be made obligatory for young women of marriage age to read about the dangers of books, handsome rich men, and that wanting pretty things might cause financial ruin.

Poor Emma, though! Born 150 years too early, and too passionate for the times.
  RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |
Flaubert: La libertad del escritor
Colección: Historia Universal de la Literatura
Nº3 ( )
  Aido2021 | Apr 4, 2021 |
Finally read it! Flaubert is merciless. I'm kind of glad I didn't read it in school; I don't think I would have liked it as much as I did reading it now. ( )
  poirotketchup | Mar 18, 2021 |
Madame Bovary is many things - a perfect piece of fictional machinery, the pinnacle of realism, the slaughterer of romanticism, a complete study of failure - but it is also the first great shopping-and-fucking novel.
added by KayCliff | editTranslating Madame Bovary, Julian Barnes (Dec 4, 2020)

Flaubert, GustaveAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Viitanen, Anna-MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wall, GeoffreyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

detebe (20721)
Signet Classics (CE 2387)

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a student's study guide

To
Marie-Antoine-Jules Sénard
Member of the Paris Bar
Ex-President of the National Assemly
Former Minister of the Interior
To Louis Bouilhet
We were in study hall when the headmaster walked in, followed by a new boy not wearing a school uniform, and by a janitor carrying a large desk.
We were at prep, when the Head came in, followed by a new boy not in uniform and a school-servant carrying a big desk.
We were at prep when the Headmaster came in, followed by a 'new boy' not wearing school uniform, and by a school servant carrying a large desk.
We were in class when the head master came in, followed by a "new fellow," not wearing the school uniform, and a school servant carrying a large desk.
What would they be doing now? ... the sort of life that opens the heart and the senses like flowers in bloom. Whereas for her, life was cold as an attic facing north, and the silent spider boredom wove its web in all the shadowed corners of her heart.
Surprised by the strange sweetness of it, they never though to describe or to explain what they felt. Coming delights, like tropical beaches, send out their native enchantment over the vast spaces that precede them – a perfumed breeze that lulls and drugs you out of all anxiety as to what may yet await you below the horizon.
'Have you got your pistols?'
'What for?'
'Why, to defend yourself,' Emma replied.
'From your husband? Ha! Poor little man!'
Gone were those tender words that had moved her to tears, those tempestuous embraces that had sent her frantic. The grand passion into which she had plunged seemed to be dwindling around her like a river sinking into its bed; she saw the slime at the bottom.
She repented her past virtue as though it were a crime; what still remained of it collapsed beneath the savage onslaught of her pride.

"Madame Bovary", apparso a puntate sulla "Revue de Paris" nel 1856 e integralmente un anno dopo, incontrò subito un grande successo di pubblico - dovuto anche al clamore del processo a cui il suo autore, incriminato per oltraggio alla morale e alla religione, fu sottoposto -, imponendosi all'attenzione della critica come il capolavoro assoluto del romanzo moderno. Incentrato sulla superba figura di Emma Bovary - donna inquieta, insoddisfatta, simbolo di un'insanabile frustrazione sentimentale e sociale - e giocato su un antiromanticismo ideologico e formale di fondo, "Madame Bovary" come ha scritto Vladimir Nabokov, "dal punto di vista stilistico è prosa che fa ciò che si suppone faccia la poesia. Senza Flaubert non ci sarebbe stato un Marcel Proust in Francia, né un James Joyce in Irlanda. In Russia, Cechov non sarebbe stato Cechov".
(piopas)

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140449124, 0141045159, 1846141044, 0451418506, 0143123807, 0734306873

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010274X, 1400109043

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832106, 1907832114

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,859,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible