Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

Vanity Fair (1847)

by William Makepeace Thackeray

9,584123301 (3.88)1 / 575
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Both works are about women who would do anything to gain a life of luxury.
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It's all about what people do for entertainment, status, and sport. Along the way, the entire spectrum of society is satirized.
    Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe (flissp, Booksloth)
    Bleak House by Charles Dickens (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Obra soberbia de Dickens. Más "luminosa" que otras de sus obras. Historia larga, pero atrapante.
    Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (Antarehs)

English (117)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (123)
Ok, I'm not going to lie, by and large I have little idea what this was about (it was kinda like shoving four seasons of a television sitcom into one weekend...). That being said, I found it hilarious. The author's writing voice was phenomenal, and the character depth and building was wonderful. ( )
  benuathanasia | Mar 29, 2015 |
Well, there's more life in this than in Dickens. Simultaneously more ebullient and affectionate, more mordant and morbid, less principled and progressive, certainly, but realer. Dickens is your vegan uncle who listens to public radio and gives you that painfully earnest pep talk that you often just don't wanna hear right now but that usually makes you feel better, and Thackeray is your really funny rich alcoholic Republican uncle who's great when you're in the mood but only has a bottle of sparkling wine and some mayonnaise at home in the fridge (and some shadows lurking in the corners). I found it really touching how this book started off kind of light-hearted and poking fun at everybody's foibles, but then by the end everyone was weary and full of psychic wounds and hints of even darker things and I don't think Thackeray even planned it that way. Just like every party, just like life. Who of us is happy? It's a relief, saying that. ( )
6 vote MeditationesMartini | Oct 9, 2014 |
Victorian writing impresses me. This book is at the top for its exquisite writing and story. ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |
This was a reread for me of a book that I know I loved the first time around but could remember almost nothing about. As I read, the plot came back to me, but much of it was pretty unfamiliar. Fortunately, my remembrance of loving it held true.

This is a novel of contrasting characters. There is the steadfast, honest, naive Amelia vs. the smart, conniving, enigma Becky Sharp. There is the all-show, no substance George vs. the loyal, talented, but modest William Dobbin. How these characters and the substantial supporting cast of parents, brothers, friends, and family interact composes this novel.

You can't read this Victorian novel without comparing to Dickens (at least I couldn't!) and I felt that it came out very favourably. I found the characters, especially the supporting ones, to be of much more substance and less of caricature than Dickens's characters. I also appreciated that the saintly Amelia is shown at the end to have been not so innocent in her treatment and usage of the faithful Dobbin and that though Becky is often the villian, she is a character that I loved to hate.

I found a lot of depth to go with the entertainment found in this book. It is a book that I will most likely reread again at some point. ( )
  japaul22 | Jun 8, 2014 |
Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray calls itself a "novel without a hero." In the post-movie-tie-in book cover and blurb, one would be expected to believe that it's a book with a heroine, namely, Becky Sharp. But, I argue, that's a present day contrivance, much in the same way that the film industry has convinced a generation of readers that Pride and Prejudice is a romance in the modern sense of the word.

Certainly the book starts off on the promise of a book about a plucky young woman out to conquer the world now that she has finished school. That conceit though, is tossed out at the end of the first chapter, along with Becky Sharp's dictionary.

With Becky blending into the ensemble cast of characters, I started to rethink the idea of a hero-less novel. If I turn to the entertainment industry again, this time television, Vanity Fair is most like Seinfeld if it had aired after the attack on the World Trade Center.

Essentially Vanity Fair is a seres of comic sketches that look at British culture before, during and after the Battle of Waterloo. ( )
  pussreboots | Apr 25, 2014 |

Trollope, JoannaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tuomikoski, AinoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To

B.W. PROCTER

this story is affectionately dedicated
While the present century was in its teens, and on one sun-shiny morning in June, there drove up to the great iron gate of Miss Pinkerton's academy for young ladies, on Chiswick Mall, a large family coach, with two fat horses in blazing harness, driven by a fat coachman in a three-cornered hat and wig, at the rate of four miles an hour.
But, lo! and just as the coach drove off, Miss Sharp put her pale face out of the window and actually flung the book back into the garden.

No one is better equipped in the struggle for wealth and worldly success than the alluring and ruthless Becky Sharp, who defies her impoverished background to clamber up the class ladder. Her sentimental companion amelia, however, longs only for caddish soldier George. As the two heroines make their way through the tawdry glamour of Regency society, battles—military and domestic—are fought, fortunes made and lost. The one steadfast and honourable figure in this corrupt world is Dobbin with his devotion to Amelia, bringing pathos and depth to Thackeray's gloriously satirical epic of love and social adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:43 -0400)

"Thus asks Thackeray in his gloriously entertaining saga, as a vibrant cast of characters scheme and scramble for life's prizes on the crowded stage of Vanity Fair. And no one is better equipped in the struggle for wealth and worldly success than Becky Sharp, Thackeray's supreme creation. Brilliant, alluring and ruthless, she defies her poverty-stricken background to clamber up the social ladder, while her sentimental companion Amelia longs only for caddish soldier George." "As the two heroines make their way through the tawdry glamour of Regency society, battles - military and domestic - are fought; fortunes are made and lost. And amid the fast-paced action stands Dobbin with his unrequited love for Amelia. A true gentleman in a corrupt world, he brings pathos and depth to Thackeray's epic tale of love and social adventure."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Legacy Library: William Makepeace Thackeray

William Makepeace Thackeray has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See William Makepeace Thackeray's legacy profile.

See William Makepeace Thackeray's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439831, 0141199644, 0141199547

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,174,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible