Bleak House (1853)

by Charles Dickens

11,706220415 (4.18)6 / 1443
Bleak House follows the fortunes and relationships of three characters whose fates are tied to the obscure inheritance case of Jarndyce v. Jarndyce, which is tied up in endless litigation. While many deserving and undeserving claim the inheritance, it is ironically being devoured in legal costs.
1850s (4)
My TBR (14)

English (211)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (220)
lawsuit consumes hopes and money
  ritaer | Jun 6, 2021 |
After watching the miniseries with Gillian Anderson, which I really enjoyed, I decided to read the novel. I had never read any Dickens before. The English is somewhat dated, and often a chore to plod through. The time and place and pop-culture and mannerisms and politics were also not well-known to me. I likely would have enjoyed the novel more if I had been more acquainted with them all. Overall, not bad at all. I’ve read better novels but do not feel like I wasted my time on this very long novel. ( )
  WadeBurgess | May 22, 2021 |
Abandoning in the short term because I'm all Dickens-ed out. Or, I'm all orphan-ed out. Also, can't find a great Librivox version.
  revatait | Feb 21, 2021 |
Not worth the slog ( )
  Andorion | Feb 6, 2021 |
The first part of pretty dry but the last few hundred pages more than make up for it ( )
  dntbrsnbl | Dec 30, 2020 |
Bleak House represents the author at a perfectly poised late-middle moment in his extraordinary art.

You have to embrace Bleak House for what it is – a rambling, confusing, verbose, over-populated, vastly improbable story which substitutes caricatures for people and is full of puns. In other words, an 800-page Dickens novel.
added by tim.taylor | editThe Millions, Janet Potter (Jan 31, 2011)

Charles Dickensprimary authorall editionscalculated

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Dedicated, as a remembrance of our friendly union, to my companions in the guild of literature and art

Dedication of the 1853 edition
London. Michaelmas term lately over, and the Lord Chancellor sitting in Lincoln's Inn Hall.
This world of ours has its limits too (as Your Highness shall find when you have made the tour of it, and are come to the brink of the void beyond).
His family is as old as the hills, and infinitely more respectable. He has a general opinion that the world might get on without hills, but would be done up without Dedlocks. He would on the whole admit Nature to be a good idea (a little low, perhaps, when not enclosed with a park-fence), but an idea dependent for its execution on your great county families.
Indeed, he married her for love. A whisper still goes about, that she had not even family; howbeit, Sir Leicester had so much family that perhaps he had enough, and could dispense with any more.
He is of what is called the old school - a phrase generally meaning any school that seems never to have been young.
He must confess to two of the oldest infirmities in the world: one was, that he had no idea of time; the other, that he had no idea of money.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439726, 0141199091

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102642, 1400109086

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,208,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible