Bleak House (1853)

by Charles Dickens

12,356229416 (4.18)6 / 1488
Focusing on Esther Summerson, a ward of John Jarndyce, the story traces Esther's romantic coming-of-age and, in classic Dickens style, the gradual revelation of long-buried secrets, all set against the foggy backdrop of the Court of Chancery. Mixing romance, mystery, comedy, and satire, to limn the suffering caused by the intricate inefficiency of the law.… (more)
1850s (4)
My TBR (14)

English (218)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (227)
Dicken's best novel. Nice balance between his early humor and his late pessimism. Will destroy any lingering faith you have in the legal system. ( )
  Gumbywan | Jun 24, 2022 |
I'm making my New Year's resolution early: I will not waste time on books I'm not enjoying. The perfectly perfect Esther and Ada are grating on my modern sensibilities. How I long for a female character with human foibles! Lady Dedlock may be that character, but I can't get to her for all the dripping goo. Romantic literature simply isn't for me.
  IVLeafClover | Jun 21, 2022 |
My favorite of the 3 Dickens I can remember having read (although I'm sure I must've read at least 2 or 3 more). A lawsuit that goes on forever. Written from 1852-53, Dickens already had a clear idea of what a mess lawyers cd make of the world. If only he cd see it now! ( )
  tENTATIVELY | Apr 3, 2022 |
Long, convoluted, with many characters but quite compelling for large portions. My first dickens work, i was fearful of something a bit darker or at least more depressing. The characters seem at times both very human and at others to be much more like caricatures. Funnier than i expected in places and with more social satire. Still it is very... long. ( )
  wreade1872 | Nov 28, 2021 |
Dickens. Should definitely re-read, now with longer life, and literary, view. ( )
  MGADMJK | Aug 27, 2021 |
Bleak House represents the author at a perfectly poised late-middle moment in his extraordinary art.

You have to embrace Bleak House for what it is – a rambling, confusing, verbose, over-populated, vastly improbable story which substitutes caricatures for people and is full of puns. In other words, an 800-page Dickens novel.
added by tim.taylor | editThe Millions, Janet Potter (Jan 31, 2011)

Dickens, CharlesAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Dedicated, as a remembrance of our friendly union, to my companions in the guild of literature and art

Dedication of the 1853 edition
London. Michaelmas term lately over, and the Lord Chancellor sitting in Lincoln's Inn Hall.
This world of ours has its limits too (as Your Highness shall find when you have made the tour of it, and are come to the brink of the void beyond).
His family is as old as the hills, and infinitely more respectable. He has a general opinion that the world might get on without hills, but would be done up without Dedlocks. He would on the whole admit Nature to be a good idea (a little low, perhaps, when not enclosed with a park-fence), but an idea dependent for its execution on your great county families.
Indeed, he married her for love. A whisper still goes about, that she had not even family; howbeit, Sir Leicester had so much family that perhaps he had enough, and could dispense with any more.
He is of what is called the old school - a phrase generally meaning any school that seems never to have been young.
He must confess to two of the oldest infirmities in the world: one was, that he had no idea of time; the other, that he had no idea of money.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439726, 0141199091

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102642, 1400109086

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,531,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible