The Trial by Franz Kafka

by Franz Kafka

1920s (6)
Read (23)
(1)

English (141)  Italian (5)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (5)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (170)
I am glad I listened to this one as I am not sure it would have held my interest in print. However it does keep begging you to get to the end to find out what happens. ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (Sep 2012):
- Here's an obvious case of "What else is there to say?" Here's something: We of course have Max Brod to thank for this, and most of Kafka's works, seeing the light of day. After Kafka's early death, his good friend reworked the unnumbered manuscript pages into a finished product. (In German, the original) Later translated by Willa and Edwin Muir, and my edition of that translation is further revised and given added material by an E.M Butler. I tell you all this because it is worth considering whether the final-final-final novel is very close, or very far, from the mind's eye of the author. We'll never know, unless the very recently court-opened files of Kafka's, kept locked away by Max Brod's secretary's daughter for many years in Israel, contain papers that shed any light on The Trial. Stay tuned. In the meantime, I'll continue to chew on Titorelli the painter, and the unfinished reality, and feel, of this book. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Aug 14, 2018 |
Read this in one day - which is probably a major insult to Kafka. Is it about the dilemma between domestic life and dedication to writing - what is it about? There are so many possibilities in any world - and in our world of CCTV and algorithms. This was a re-read and I am pretty sure this is another of those books that I thought I had read in full but hadn't. ( )
  jon1lambert | Aug 6, 2018 |
The Trial is a compelling read, but also frustrating. Questions are never answered and your left scream WHY???? K wakes up to find out he is being arrested, he is never told why, he is free to go about his daily life as long as when he is summoned to the court he comes. He tries to dismiss the trial as nothing more than a shady court system trying to get a bribe out of him. More people learn of his trial and he begins to take it more serious. K explores options and meets other people on trial. The ending will mess you up.

So what is the point of The Trial? There are lots of meanings that can be placed to what is read. Bureaucracy, a variety of metaphors the trial represents, or simply nothing but the text that is provided. Either way its a great short read that is interesting til the end. I didn’t know how I felt at the ending, was just kind of lost for a feeling, but I think that feeling of not know what I am feeling fits well with The Trial. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
In today’s world, which feels so much less clear and more upside down to me than the one I used to know, this book seems more prophetic than science fiction. An exploration of the absolute absurdity and uselessness of life and the total breakdown of any sensible justice system, it makes you shiver a bit. Does it make sense to struggle when there are no answers (in fact, not even questions that can be put to anyone other than yourself)? Seeking to understand what is going on around you, what is being done to you and what is expected from you is tantamount to insanity, for there are no explanations and no rules that you are allowed to know. There is less justice for those who seek to understand their human predicament, and more leniency for those who just happen to stumble upon the right approach or the right judge. Even the lawyers are clueless, and I don’t even want to try to make sense of how religion fails in this novel.

What, indeed, is K’s crime? It doesn’t matter. He doesn’t know what he has done, we don’t know what he has done, but living, alone, is crime enough. There is nothing to believe in in K’s world. If there are higher-ups, he is never able to reach or understand them, in fact they seem to exist in theory only. The only people he ever meets are lowly officials. If the higher powers do exist, are they of any use to him? I wonder how much of what he is saying about “higher powers” is truly Kafka grappling with the concept of God. Other people seem to believe in them, there are rumors that they have done things, made rulings, but K finds no evidence that they exist. Every person K meets is part of the court system, which must mean he is being judged by humanity itself rather than something outside of humanity.

This book is so psychologically dense and complicated that I am sure I only walked away with a fragment of what Kafka was trying to convey. It certainly serves to humble one when encountering the mind that is needed to produce such a story.

However, and this is a big however for me, I hated reading it. It pushed and pulled and stood still. I didn’t care what happened to K except in that larger sense that he seemed to represent mankind--if it can happen to him, it can happen to you. My second Kafka, and I find him far too challenging to enjoy, but important because he makes you think and will not allow you to look the other way.

If I were rating this on any pleasure grid, it would get 1-star from me. But rated on a meaning grid, it probably deserves 5-stars. I have compromised and given it 3.5.
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
Una mañana cualquiera, Josef K., joven empleado de un banco, se despierta en la pensión donde reside con la extraña visita de unos hombres que le comunican que está detenido -aunque por el momento seguirá libre-. Le informan de que se ha iniciado un proceso contra él, y le aseguran que conocerá los cargos a su debido tiempo. Así comienza una de las más memorables y enigmáticas pesadillas jamás escritas. Para el protagonista, Josef K., el proceso laberíntico en el que inesperadamente se ve inmerso supone una toma de conciencia de sí mismo, un despertar que le obliga a reflexionar sobre su propia existencia, sobre la pérdida de la inocencia y la aparición de la muerte. La lectura de El proceso produce cierto «horror vacui» pues nos sumerge en una existencia absurda, en el filo de la navaja entre la vida y la nada.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Raja, AnitaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salter, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simojoki, AukustiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zampa, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Someone must have been telling lies about Joseph K., for without having done anything wrong he was arrested one fine morning.
"The Court wants nothing from you. It receives you when you come and it dismisses you when you go."

A Josef K., un giovane impiegato di banca che conduce una tranquilla vita borghese, viene notificato di essere in arresto per una colpa misteriosa. Il giovane cerca di difendersi, ma non riesce neppure a sapere di che cosa precisamente venga accusato. Lenta ma inarrestabile, la macchina processuale invaderà a poco a poco tutta la sua esistenza finché, solo e abbandonato da tutti, Josef K. accetterà di soccombere. Scritto nel 1925, capolavoro della letteratura europea, Il processo è forse il romanzo di Kafka che meglio descrive l’angosciosa condizione dell’uomo in una società divenuta ormai troppo complessa, vissuta come un meccanismo implacabile e fine a se stesso, minacciosa e indifferente a qualsiasi autentico valore.
(piopas)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805209999, Paperback)

The story of The Trial's publication is almost as fascinating as the novel itself. Kafka intended his parable of alienation in a mysterious bureaucracy to be burned, along with the rest of his diaries and manuscripts, after his death in 1924. Yet his friend Max Brod pressed forward to prepare The Trial and the rest of his papers for publication. When the Nazis came to power, publication of Jewish writers such as Kafka was forbidden; Kafka's writings, many of which have distinctively Jewish themes, did not find a broad audience until after World War II. (Hannah Arendt once observed that although "during his lifetime he could not make a decent living, [Kafka] will now keep generations of intellectuals both gainfully employed and well-fed.") Among the current crop of Kafka heirs is Breon Mitchell, the translator of this edition of The Trial. Rather than tidying up Kafka's unconventional grammar and punctuation (as previous translators have done), Mitchell captures the loose, uneasy, even uncomfortable constructions of Kafka's original story. His translation technique is the only way to convey the comedy and confusion of this narrative, in which Josef K., "without having done anything truly wrong," is arrested, tried, convicted and executed--on a charge that is never disclosed to him. --Michael Joseph Gross

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:13 -0400)

A new edition of Kafka's classic work--certain to become the new standard.

Legacy Library: Franz Kafka

Franz Kafka has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Franz Kafka's legacy profile.

See Franz Kafka's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182903, 0141194715

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,031,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible