Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett

Waiting for Godot (1953)

by Samuel Beckett

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (guyalice)
    guyalice: Stoppard's play's been called "Waiting for Hamlet," as both are existentialist plays featuring a pair of clueless (yet tragic) idiots.
    Rhinoceros by Eugène Ionesco (interference)
    interference: Ebenfalls ein Klassiker des Absurden Theaters.
    Incidences by Daniil Kharms (ateolf)
    The Woman in the Dunes by Kōbō Abe (christiguc)
    Seven Plays by Sam Shepard (SandraArdnas)
    Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel (Othemts)

English (114)  French (6)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (125)
TBH, I may have given this a higher rating because I also saw the production and loved it. Also TBH, if you don't love absurdist writing, you're not going to like this ( )
  JennVelez | Feb 9, 2019 |

Waiting for Godot in Antarctica

An audience gathers to preview a screening of a new version of this Samuel Beckett play. The directed striped his rendition down to bare existential black and white by filming in Antarctica and using penguins as actors. The problem of dialogue is solved by the technique of voice-over.

In the first act, two penguins stand on bleak, snow-covered ice. There’s a close up of one penguin. The voice-over says, “Nothing to be done.”

The camera slowly scans to the other penguin who waddles next to the first. His voice-over begins, “I’m beginning to come round to that opinion.”

The play continues in this manner. Occasionally, the two penguins rock back and forth in their stark, empty white world. When in the middle of the second act, a third penguin approaches, the two penguins waddle awkwardly to an icy hill and then toboggan on their stomachs down the hill and into the water.

After a soul-searching monologue, the third penguin also toboggans down the hill into the water. At the end of the play the two original penguins rock back and forth. One penguin says, “Well, shall we go swimming again?

The other penguin replies, “Yes, let’s go.”

But the penguins do not move.
  Glenn_Russell | Nov 13, 2018 |
Going to the party as Godot and never showing up. ( )
  adaorhell | Aug 24, 2018 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (Apr 2011):
- Vladimir: Yes you do know them.
Estragon: No I don't know them.
Vladimir: We know them, I tell you. You forget everything.

- Is this an existential masterpiece?
Is this crap?
Are they waiting for hope? Or, are they not?
Pointless to review a work meant for the stage. But I'd gladly put on my theatre of the absurd hat and go see it. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Jul 8, 2018 |
Really? This has been so trumped up. Either I badly need an explanation for something I'm too dull to grasp (entirely plausible), or this is crap like Catch-22 that was so "avant-garde" so existential but entirely pointless.
  rosechimera | Mar 16, 2018 |

Kuhlman, RoyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ouředník, PatrikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Phillips, TomIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenfeld, EricEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estragon, sitting on a low mound, is trying to take off his boot. He pulls at it with both hands, panting. He gives up, exhausted, rests, tries again. As before. Enter Vladimir
ESTRAGON: (giving up again) Nothing to be done.
"Don't talk to me. Don't speak to me. Stay with me."
ESTRAGON: Nothing happens, nobody comes, nobody goes, it's awful!
ESTRAGON: We've lost our rights?
VLADIMIR: [Distinctly.] We got rid of them.
VLADIMIR: That passed the time.
ESTRAGON: It would have passed in any case.
VLADIMIR: Yes, but not so rapidly.
VLADIMIR: Moron!
ESTRAGON: Vermin!
VLADIMIR: Abortion!
ESTRAGON: Morpion!
VLADIMIR: Sewer-rat!
ESTRAGON: Curate!
VLADIMIR: Cretin!
ESTRAGON: [With finality.] Crritic!
VLADIMIR: Oh!

A seminal work of twentieth-century drama, Waiting for Godot was Samuel Beckett’s first professionally produced play. It opened in Paris in 1953 at the tiny Left Bank Theatre de Babylone, and has since become a cornerstone of twentieth-century theater.

The story line revolves around two seemingly homeless men waiting for someone—or something—named Godot. Vladimir and Estragon wait near a tree on a barren stretch of road, inhabiting a drama spun from their own consciousness. The result is a comical wordplay of poetry, dreamscapes, and nonsense, which has been interpreted as a somber summation of mankind’s inexhaustible search for meaning. Beckett’s language pioneered an expressionistic minimalism that captured the existentialism of post-World War II Europe. His play remains one of the most magical and beautiful allegories of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:07 -0400)

Two old tramps wait on a bare stretch of road near a tree for Godot.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,170,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible