The Brothers Karamazov (1880)

by Fyodor Dostoevsky

24,90128694 (4.38)4 / 997
Dostoevsky's last and greatest novel, The Karamazov Brothers (1880) is both a brilliantly told crime story and a passionate philosophical debate. The dissolute landowner Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov is murdered; his sons--the atheist intellectual Ivan, the hot-blooded Dmitry, and the saintly novice Alyosha--are all involved at some level. Brilliantly bound up with this psychological drama is Dostoevsky's intense and disturbing exploration of many deeply felt ideas about the existence of God, freedom of will, the collective nature of guilt, and the disastrous consequences of rationalism. Filled with eloquent voices, this new translation fully realizes the power and dramatic virtuosity of Dostoevsky's most brilliant work.… (more)
    The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky (PrincessPaulina, melies)
    PrincessPaulina: "The Idiot" is overlooked compared to Dostoevsky's other work, but in my opinion it's the most engaging. Deals with upper crust society in pre-revolutionary Russia
    The Master of Petersburg by J. M. Coetzee (xtien)
    xtien: Brilliand novel by Coetzee about a fictional Dostoevsky
    Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche (igor.chubin)
Romans (21)

English (255)  Italian (6)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (285)
Penguin first published the Magarshack translation in 1958. My copies were printed in 1967, with a different cover than the one shown here, but I can't be bothered to go through 25 pp of listings to find it.

The point is not the cover, nor even the exact translation. Someday I might still learn Russian to read these in the original. The point is that this is powerful literature. ( )
  HenrySt123 | Jul 19, 2021 |
K.
  18cran | Jun 7, 2021 |
Wow. Complex, moving, and always brilliant, the story of three brothers is Fyodor Dostoyevsky's (1821-81) masterpiece, one of the greatest novels of all time. ( )
  Jimbookbuff1963 | Jun 5, 2021 |
This book tells the story of three brothers, and each one of them has a different existential position towards life and meaning. The way how each character develops is remarkably consistent with their own world view and philosophy. They all search to understand what it means to be human, to be a good person, what it means to be a son or a brother, and they all struggle with the origin of evil that exists in their own heart. Their path is a constant battle between our instincts for good and evil, the power our passions have over us, our lack of dominion of ourselves, the capacity for hate, for love and for forgiveness. This book is absolutely wonderful.

It doesn't surprise me that Dostoyevsky had, later on, such an important role in the development of existentialist philosophy, because this book focuses mainly on how we relate to life at the most primordial level, the way we exist (or to some extent choose to exist) shapes our perception of everything, our behaviours, in a way that is more original than our theories or rational understanding of the world. This is what Kierkegaard (the father of existentialism) would call 'mood' or 'tonality', which which is closer to our innermost being than concepts, thought and even perception.

This book is about so many things, and the origin of evil is always there, together with the power that our passions and emotions have over us. Characters like Alyosha (the youngest brother) and Father Zossima are not manipulated by passions in the same way as other characters because they have something transcendent that serves as mediation between their own feelings and desires and life, which is God.

Dimitri and Ivan (the two older brothers) have their own path to follow, their own search for light and goodness. Guilt is an important aspect of both their characters, although they are so different from each other. Ivan is the materialistic character, the one who has no faith in humanity, as we can see in the poem he wrote, 'The Gand Inquisitor'. Dimitri is constantly turned towards the immediacy, to such an extent that he has no control over himself or what he thinks he needs in order to be able to live; he doesn't have the strength to follow the ethical values he believes in.

My conclusion is that this is one of the greatest masterpieces the world has ever created. This is not a book to be read just once in a lifetime, but something I want to re-read over and over again, such is its depth in understanding human nature. ( )
  Clarissa_ | May 11, 2021 |
Remarkable. A landmark. Need to sift through all my notes and read the book again before attempting anything like a review. ( )
  chrisvia | Apr 29, 2021 |

Dostoevsky, Fyodorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anhava, MarttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bazzarelli, EridanoForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brockway, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davidson, FrederickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eichenberg, FritzIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eng, Jan van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fondse, MarkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Verily, verily, I say unto, you, except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringth forth much fruit.
— John 12:24
Tillägnas Anna Grigorjevna Dostojevskaja
Dedicated to

Anna Grigorievna Dostoevsky
Alexey Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his tragic and obscure death, which happened just thirteen years ago, and of which I shall speak in its proper place. (Garnett, 1912)
Aleksei Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner of our district, extremely well known in his time (and to this day still remembered in these parts) on account of his violent and mysterious death exactly thirteen years ago, the circumstances of which I shall relate in due course. (Avsey 1994)
Alexey Fyodorovitch Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovitch Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his gloomy and tragic death, which happened thirteen years ago, and which I shall describe in its proper place. (Garnett, Great Books, 1952)
Alexei Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of a landowner from our district, Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, well known in his own day (and still remembered among us) because of his dark and tragic death, which happened exactly thirteen years ago and which I shall speak of in its proper place. (Pevear/Volokhonsky, 1990)
Very well then - tell me the truth, squash me like a cockroach.
(McDuff,1993)
In schools children are a tribe without mercy.
(McDuff, 1993)
I have, as it were, torn my soul in half before you, and you have taken advantage of it and are rummaging with your fingers in both halves along the torn place...O God!
(McDuff, 1993)
I'm a Karamazov - when I fall into the abyss, I go straight into it, head down and heels up . . .
Individual volumes should not be combined with the complete set/work or different volumes of the same set/work.

Tre fratelli con caratteri molto diversi: uno orgoglioso e sensuale, uno razionale fino all'eccesso e uno sinceramente religioso; un figlio illegittimo malato ed emarginato ed un padre avaro e crudele, odiato e disprezzato da tutti.
(piopas)
Sad Russian people
griping about God and stuff.
Wish Dad was still here.
(LeBoeuf)

Legacy Library: Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor Dostoevsky has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's legacy profile.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,649,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible