Crime and Punishment (1867)

by Fyodor Dostoevsky

38,67343739 (4.25)3 / 971
Determined to overreach his humanity and assert his untrammelled individual will, Raskolnikov, an impoverished student living in the St. Petersburg of the Tsars, commits an act of murder and theft and sets into motion a story which, for its excrutiating suspense, its atmospheric vividness, and its profundity of characterization and vision, is almost unequaled in the literatures of the world. The best known of Dostoevsky's masterpieces, Crime and Punishment can bear any amount of rereading without losing a drop of its power over our imagination.… (more)
    My uncle's dream / The little hero by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (PrincessPaulina, zasmine)
    PrincessPaulina: "The Idiot" is overlooked compared to Dostoevsky's other work, but in my opinion it's the most engaging. Deals with upper crust society in pre-revolutionary Russia
    zasmine: For more of his social dissection
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (Booksloth)
    The Trial by Franz Kafka (SanctiSpiritus, Kantar)
    The Stranger by Albert Camus (chrisharpe, DLSmithies)
    DLSmithies: A compare-and-contrast exercise - Raskolnikov is all nervous energy and hypertension, whereas Meursault is detatched, calm, and won't pretend to feel remorse. Two masterpieces.
    Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (SanctiSpiritus, Kantar)
    The Man Without Qualities: A Sort of Introduction; Pseudo Reality Prevails {Vol. 1 of 2} by Robert Musil (ateolf)
    The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga (infiniteletters)
    Hunger by Knut Hamsun (ateolf)
    The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings [Bantam Classics] by Edgar Allan Poe (GCPLreader)
    The Lost Highway by David Adams Richards (figsfromthistle)
    figsfromthistle: Both novels show the unravelling of the human conscience and the lengths the main protagonists go to convince themselves that their crime was necessary.
    Herzog by Saul Bellow (SanctiSpiritus)
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind (klerulo)
    klerulo: Both these works attempt to get inside the head of singularly amoral sociopathic murderers.
Wanted (2)
1860s (9)

English (378)  Spanish (15)  Italian (7)  Catalan (6)  German (5)  Finnish (5)  French (4)  Dutch (4)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Tagalog (1)  Swedish (1)  Czech (1)  Slovak (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (435)
I got a hardback Modern Library illustrated version from the 40's, and it has awesomely creepy drawings. Otherwise, I agree whole-heartedly with the establishment that deemed this book a classic. It is either proof of my unhealthy psyche or the mark of an ingenious novelist that I identify very strongly with the murderous protagonist of this novel. Probably both. ( )
  jdegagne | Apr 23, 2022 |
Honestly, this book was tough to read, the pacing was kind of like an amusement park, you wait in line to go on the ride, that means 80-150 pages of slow setup and exposition, and then you finally get to ride, 20-30 pages of intense emotion and suspense, but when it ends you have to wait in line again.
That said, I really enjoyed it, great story and characters; the suspense was on point, you almost never know what’s going to happen, which I found really surprising for a book this old, normally their age makes them predictable and tropey, but not this one.
Also, it was kind of hard to understand who everyone was, considering I’m not used to Russian names, and a lot of people are referred with their surnames, which can be shared by characters who have nothing to do with each other, but a quick trip to a character list did the trick for me.
Dostoyevsky’s philosophy presented on this book (basically in how Rodion justifies himself) was also interesting.
It is weird to hear Dostoyevsky’s communist views(considering how Russian communism turned out) through some character monologues, even though it is completely useless to progress the story, it feels like he wanted to tell everyone about his ideals in any way possible.
Overall, a good but tough read, really gives a perspective on the 1800s Russia, and a really good story toppled with amazingly written characters.
  diogsis | Apr 4, 2022 |
A magnificent "whydunnit". It would have been interesting to find out more about Raskolnikov's childhood and university years, though one of the novel's strengths is how it leaves the reader ample space to interpret how this young man became a killer. Near the end of the book, R's mother says to him, "ever since your father died everything makes me cry" – as often happens, we're given a glimpse of something largely out of sight, in this case the emotional impact of that loss on R himself.

For me, part of what makes C&P great is that it somehow makes me feel empathy for odious characters like R and Svidrigailov. Reading it this second time – in Oliver Ready's excellent translation – also made me appreciate more the book's social commentary, the way city life isolates vulnerable individuals, and how alcoholism and economic inequality blights the lives of poor women and children especially. The desperate scene involving Katerina Ivanovna and her children, where they're forced to dance and sing to beg for money, is one that will always stay with me.

The scenes involving R and Porfiry are also very memorable for me. Not just for the interplay of detective cat & mouse, but also for the way their conversation contains some of the book's big ideas, giving us a sense of the intellectual climate among the radical youth of Russia at the time. Dostoevsky seems keen to show how these ideas can become corrosive outside the framework of faith and community.

C&P is far from perfect though – for me, the book's big flaw is how the figure of Lizaveta is largely forgotten, allowing R off the hook. How and why he inspires such loyalty and devotion in those around him remains a mystery to me; for example, like Ruth in the Bible, Sonya says she will follow R to the ends of the earth. That said, I personally prefer C&P to The Brothers Karamazov, which despite all its strengths I found too bloated and didactic at times, complete with an epilogue that was even more sentimental than this one. ( )
  dbredford | Feb 1, 2022 |

dbredford | Feb 1, 2022 |
Five stars for the novel, 3 for the bizarre dainty-lady translation. Must get hold of another version of this.
  hierogrammate | Jan 31, 2022 |

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. bridge. (Garnett translation)
Toward the end of a sultry afternoon early in July a young man came out of his little room in Stolyarny Lane and turned slowly and somewhat irresolutely in the direction of Kamenny Bridge. (Coulson translation)
On a very hot evening at the beginning of July a young man left his little room at the top of a house in Carpenter Lane, went out into the street, and, as though unable to make up his mind, walked slowly in the direction of Kokushkin Bridge.
At the beginning of July, during an extremely hot spell, towards evening, a young man left the closet he rented from tenants in S____y Lane, walked out to the street, and slowly, as if indecisively, headed for the K______n Bridge. (Pevear and Volokhonsky translation)
In het begin van juli, het was tegen de avond en bijzonder warm, verliet een jongeman het kamertje dat hij aan de S-steeg in onderhuur bewoonde, en begaf zich traag, besluiteloos bijna, in de richting van de K-brug.
The original Russian title is “Преступление и наказание”.

Student with an axe:

Meets pious prostitute
No hilarity
(starwing)

Legacy Library: Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Fyodor Dostoyevsky has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Fyodor Dostoyevsky's legacy profile.

See Fyodor Dostoyevsky's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451530063, 0140449132

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,163,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible