Gone with the Wind (1936)

by Margaret Mitchell

After the Civil War sweeps away the genteel life to which she has been accustomed, Scarlett O'Hara sets about to salvage her plantation home.
    The Wind Done Gone by Alice Randall (lquilter, petersonvl)
    lquilter: This work was rewritten to tell the other side of Gone With the Wind, the story that Mitchell elided with her romanticized view of racism and slavery and its "happier when they were slaves" survivors. The Mitchell estate chose to sue for copyright infringement, but lost because the court recognized that this work is an important critical commentary on Gone with the Wind, and the beliefs that animated the original.… (more)
    Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: They are both scandalous women. It’s a love hate relationship.
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (lquilter)
    lquilter: Jubilee is the true story of the author's great grandmother, a woman born to slavery as the daughter of a slave and a white slave-owner. She acted as servant to her white sister, and was a witness to antebellum life, the Civil War, and Reconstruction.
    Oh, Kentucky! by Betty Layman Receveur (blonderedhead)
    blonderedhead: Strong female heroine in a sweeping, romantic and exciting historical fiction novel. I loved both books...and think others might, too.
    The Wind Is Never Gone: Sequels, Parodies and Rewritings of Gone with the Wind by M. Carmen Gomez-galisteo (Prinzipessa, Prinzipessa)
    Prinzipessa: This book explains Gone with the Wind and analyzes its sequels, parodies as well as the fan fiction stories based on Gone With the Wind.
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (GCPLreader, fulner)
    GCPLreader: melodrama in the midst of war and the invasion (and burning!) of a major city
    fulner: rich people sit around and talk about war as if it didn't matter
    A Skeptic's Luck by A.D. Morel (A.D.Morel)
    A.D.Morel: There's this feeling of longing, that she will not quite get there, yet we are passionately rooting for the main character, we go through her travails with her.
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (Lapsus_Linguae)
    Lapsus_Linguae: Both main heroines are strong-willed independent women who take up entrepreneurship.
    The Legacy by Katherine Webb (tesskrose)
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (StarryNightElf)
    Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal (fulner)
    fulner: The amount of similarities between the girls of antebellum South in Gone with the Wind and the Indian girls in Erotic Stories for Punjabi widows is striking.
    The Winds of Tara: The Saga Lives On by Katherine Pinotti (veracity)
    veracity: 'Winds of Tara' is an unauthorised sequel to 'Gone with the Wind'.
    Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson (theshadowknows)
    theshadowknows: These books share a similar epic, sweeping feel in bringing to life a lost and fading ideal (the American frontier in Heart of the West and the old, genteel south in Gone with the Wind.)
    My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Katherine by Anya Seton (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Its about having to deal with a very strong, charismatic man. *Sigh*
    Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley (Nyxn)
    Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig (mrstreme)
Elevenses (186)

English (393)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (405)
As usual, a better story than the movie.

I read when I first moved to Charleston because it seemed appropriate at the time. Part of what made it fun for me was knowing some of the geography.

I'm glad I read it but it isn't one I'll go back to. In spite of the topic ans setting, it wasn't quite a bodice ripper (or burning plantation novel, as my husband calls them), but close enough that one rad is enough for me.

KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
I have seen the movie too many times to count, but I had never read the book. As was to be expected, the book had so much more detail than the movie. Especially about the history of life in Atlanta after the war. And now I need to watch the movie again. ( )
  BookLove80 | Mar 12, 2021 |
When I read this I could not believe the ending. 1200 plus pages for what? That! ( )
  Nicole_girl | Mar 8, 2021 |
Maybe 3.5 stars.

So, this book has an unlikeable narrator. Scarlett is a classic narcissist. I was warned about this when I started, I quickly saw that it was true. But it's not really an issue if you accept it. Then it becomes a bit of a fun ride about what incredibly selfish thing she will do next.

The best way to read this book is as a historical source about the mentalities that informed the construction of a memory of the Civil War south. It helps greatly in dealing with the racism and gender roles.

There are four principal characters to be concerned with here - Scarlett and Rhett, the two principal protagonists, and Ashley and Mellie, the two supporting protagonists.

Scarlett and Ashley are easy to hate. Scarlett is selfish, entitled and vindictive. Essentially she wants everything to revolve around herself, and if that does not happen, she makes sure that it does. She has three principal concerns - herself, her family plantation - Tara, and Ashley. She also cares a bit about her parents, and has a little bit of concern for others, but that is mostly in the context of how they can be of help to her. And yet, her selfishness drives her to great things, incredible feats of bravery and daring, excellent improvisation, and finally a heroic effort to overcome the restrictions of her gender. Scarlett is easy to hate, but also can be extremely entertaining. Its only when her selfishness becomes delusional that Scarlett is difficult to read. Her obsession with Ashley drives her life to ruin. Her indifference towards her children evokes genuine hate.

Ashley on the other hand is the definition of a 2-dimensional character. Always idealistic, always dreaming, and always useless. Throughout the book he is nothing but a burden - a mental and emotional one on Scarlett, and a physical one on Mellie and to an essence Scarlett. His idiotic inability to settle his awkward relationship with Scarlett leads to great misery for all.

Rhett is contradictory - he is too many things. At the beginning he is the worldly-wise realist who knows the Confederacy is doomed. Then he is the garish opportunist, indulging in greed and vulgar display, rousing anger and opposition. Then he is the sudden patriot. Then once again the opportunistand yet also a closet idealist and yet a collaborator. And then he is Scarlett's love, but always at a distance! Then he is the devoted father! Then the spurned husband. And lastly the disillusioned lover. But logic does not dictate his actions or transformations.

Why was he caught in Atlanta at all if he was so well informed and connected? Why had he not left the Confederacy before? His sudden bout of patriotism is presented as a noble act, and yet this ignores that he left three women, one of them dying, a child and an infant in a war ravaged area in the middle of the night. Why does he display his wealth and get arrested, when his money is in England and he has zero reasons to stay in Reconstruction Atlanta? If he truly loved Scarlett, always, like he claimed later, why did he not make this plain, or talk of marriage, ever? He demonstrated that he could change for his daughter, but never tried to change for Scarlett.

And finally Mellie. She is less a character, and more a caricature. Always loving, calm, trustful, well-mannered, quiet, believing - she is literally too good to be true. If Scarlett was delusional about Ashley, Mellie was delusional about Scarlett and Ashley. Her blindness severely strained credulity.

So overall, while the book is a fascinating read about the South, the characters are severely wanting. And please don't call this a romance novel. ( )
  Andorion | Feb 6, 2021 |
The reader is supposed to care whether two morally loathsome characters (one of them a philandering profiteer and the other a suggestion of Medea and succubus combined) find love together? The facile creed at the center of the novel (like suits like) just doesn't work without at least a glimmer of moral redemption. The drama kept the pages turning, but I suspect I was just aching for the moment one unscrupulous piece of work finally told the other that he didn't give a damn. ( )
  BeauxArts79 | Feb 4, 2021 |
An old fashioned, romantic narrative with no Joycean or Proustian nonsense about it, the novel is written in a methodical style which fastidious readers may find wearying. But so carefully does Author Mitchell build up her central character of Scarlett O'Hara, and her picture of the times in which that wild woman struggled, that artistic lapses seem scarcely more consequential than Scarlett's many falls from grace.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 6, 1936)

This is beyond a doubt one of the most remarkable first novels produced by an American writer. It is also one of the best.

The historical background is the chief virtue of the book, and it is the story of the times rather than the unconvincing and somewhat absurd plot that gives Miss Mitchell's work whatever importance may be attached to it.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Ralph Thompson (pay site) (Jun 30, 1936)

Mitchell, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Ein Mensch ist in seinem Leben wie Gras/er blühet wie eine Blume auf dem Felde;/wenn der Wind darüber geht, so ist sie nimmer da,/ und ihre Stätte kennet sie nicht mehr. Psalm 103
To J. R. M.
Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm, as the Tarleton twins were.
As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. (Scarlett)
I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies. (Prissy)
After all, tomorrow is another day.
My dear, I don't give a damn.
This LT work is for Margaret Mitchell's original 1936 novel, Gone with the Wind. Please distinguish it both from partial copies of the work (one or another volume from a 2, 3 or 4-volume set) and from the 1939 movie version of the same name. Thank you.

Set in Georgia at the time of the Civil War, this is the story of headstrong Scarlett O'Hara, her three marriages and her determination to keep her father's property of Tara, despite the vicissitudes of war and passion.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,919,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible