Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Gone with the Wind (1936)

by Margaret Mitchell

The Wind Done Gone by Alice Randall (lquilter, petersonvl)
    lquilter: This work was rewritten to tell the other side of Gone With the Wind, the story that Mitchell elided with her romanticized view of racism and slavery and its "happier when they were slaves" survivors. The Mitchell estate chose to sue for copyright infringement, but lost because the court recognized that this work is an important critical commentary on Gone with the Wind, and the beliefs that animated the original.… (more)
    Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: They are both scandalous women. It’s a love hate relationship.
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (lquilter)
    lquilter: Jubilee is the true story of the author's great grandmother, a woman born to slavery as the daughter of a slave and a white slave-owner. She acted as servant to her white sister, and was a witness to antebellum life, the Civil War, and Reconstruction.
    Oh, Kentucky! by Betty Layman Receveur (blonderedhead)
    blonderedhead: Strong female heroine in a sweeping, romantic and exciting historical fiction novel. I loved both books...and think others might, too.
    The Legacy by Katherine Webb (tesskrose)
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (GCPLreader)
    GCPLreader: melodrama in the midst of war and the invasion (and burning!) of a major city
    The Wind Is Never Gone: Sequels, Parodies and Rewritings of Gone with the Wind by M. Carmen Gomez-galisteo (Prinzipessa, Prinzipessa)
    Prinzipessa: This book explains Gone with the Wind and analyzes its sequels, parodies as well as the fan fiction stories based on Gone With the Wind.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (StarryNightElf)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (Lapsus_Linguae)
    Lapsus_Linguae: Both main heroines are strong-willed independent women who take up entrepreneurship.
    A Skeptic's Luck by A.D. Morel (A.D.Morel)
    A.D.Morel: There's this feeling of longing, that she will not quite get there, yet we are passionately rooting for the main character, we go through her travails with her.
    The Winds of Tara: The Saga Lives On by Kate Pinotti (veracity)
    veracity: 'Winds of Tara' is an unauthorised sequel to 'Gone with the Wind'.
    Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson (theshadowknows)
    theshadowknows: These books share a similar epic, sweeping feel in bringing to life a lost and fading ideal (the American frontier in Heart of the West and the old, genteel south in Gone with the Wind.)
    Katherine by Anya Seton (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Its about having to deal with a very strong, charismatic man. *Sigh*
    My Name is Mary Sutter: A Novel by Robin Oliveira (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig (mrstreme)
    Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind" by Alexandra Ripley (Nyxn)
1930s (38)
Elevenses (179)

English (364)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (375)
Whine moar. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Complicated feelings with this one, both in reading it and how to review it. I don’t know that I’ve ever wavered so much on a star rating, in many ways this is five stars, but other aspects have me uneasy about giving it such a wholehearted recommendation.

This is most definitely a page-turner, which can’t be said of many books over a thousand pages long, it’s epic and yet intimately character driven, I get why it won a Pulitzer, I get why it made PBS’s 100 last year, and why it’s been on other favorite lists for decades.

As appealing as I sometimes (emphasis on sometimes) found Rhett to be, and though its engrossing in train wreck fashion (Scarlett is so smart in some ways and so oblivious in all the Ashley ways), the romantic entanglements tended to be of less importance to me than the women on their own.

Her racist views aside (I’ll address those momentarily), Scarlett felt very much ahead of her time. She’s ruthlessly and sometimes corruptly ambitious, she’s more obsessed with building an empire than being a mother, and she’s quite willing to break societal rules, including coveting a married man. While many of Scarlett’s choices would not be my own, I love that she just is who she is and is mostly unapologetic about it, there are plenty of male characters in pop culture unconcerned with their likability, but it’s far less common for female characters, so weirdly, a book from the thirties, managed to feel refreshing in that respect.

I also found it interesting to spend time on the losing side of a war, and loved that rather than it being so much about men running to the rescue and rebuilding, it’s more often these two women who pick up the pieces for their families, figuring out how to survive. Scarlett with her schemes, and Melanie leading with her heart, each, in her own way, proves emotionally stronger than any man in the story.

But, there’s also the cringe-worthy dialect for every black character, and consistently referring to them as stupid and lazy and like they need white people’s guidance or they just wouldn’t know what to do, not to mention all the other horrifying descriptors that I don’t want to mention. Obviously there’s a context to this, the book is told from the confederate south’s point of view, so racism isn’t unexpected and it wouldn’t be an honest depiction of that time and this particular set of white people if it pretended they weren’t racist. There’s also the fact that this wasn’t written in our more politically correct era so it couldn’t be handled with the delicacy that maybe (big maybe) the author might have used now, but even when you read with those caveats in mind, no caveat makes it comfortable to read ignorant, hateful things for page after page.

Sometimes I questioned why I would read a book with such problematic content, but at the same time I wondered, is it really better to to only read point of views you agree with, to only read about things that don’t make you angry or sad? Should we only read books where everyone is depicted as equals and treated fairly even though the world is still so far from that ideal? Or, is there maybe some value in reading challenging things that sting your heart and soul and compel you to stop and think, really stop and think about how it must feel to actually be on the receiving end of such hatred and disrespect, not just page after page, but day after day?

I continuously went back and forth about all of that in my head throughout the reading of Gone With The Wind and I still have no idea if there is a correct answer. Just, if you're going to read it, and it certainly is worth reading, it's this impressive achievement in storytelling, but brace for how offensive it also is. ( )
  SJGirl | Mar 18, 2019 |
This book.... I loved 30% of it, sort-of-liked another 40%, and hated the last 30%.

Every now and again there is a character you admire for their "gumption" even if they are shallow/practical/selfish, you still admire and respect and sort-of-love them. To me, that was Scarlett O'Hara. There were parts of this book where Scarlett was so passionate and wild and refreshing and admirable... but by the end I lost respect for her, and she seemed like a whiny, cruel brat.

And everything was very unsatisfying. There were some awesome, cheeky & sarcastic romantic scenes between Scarlett & Rhett but the relationship never reaches a crescendo, its promise is never really fulfilled. I feel like there was a big chunk missing from their romance. It began and ended in the right places, but in the middle it got really muddled.

And the ideology of the book, from a modern perspective, was incredibly jarring. I don't know Margaret Mitchell's politics- if she was incredibly dumb or incredibly clever in a subtle way, and I'm not sure I want to know. And the book rambles and repeats its ideology to the nth degree.

Some happenings at the end of the book seemed like cheap trashy drama, which was disappointing. Like the book was trying to manipulate me into feeling emotion because I'd lost most of my interest in Scarlett.

If this book were rewritten, and tweaked just a little bit, I would have loved it. I did love it and get thrills from it for a while, and now I wonder where it all wend wrong. I had a similar feeling from Tess of the d'Ubervilles, which sort of scarred me a little, and I think this will too. That lack of trust in an author is kind of sad.

Sweet_Serenity | Mar 14, 2019 |
I couldn't find my copy listed on here, but it's 1448 pages, no 1024 as listed.
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
It's so long that's why it only gets 4 stars ( )
  mollygerry | Nov 19, 2018 |
An old fashioned, romantic narrative with no Joycean or Proustian nonsense about it, the novel is written in a methodical style which fastidious readers may find wearying. But so carefully does Author Mitchell build up her central character of Scarlett O'Hara, and her picture of the times in which that wild woman struggled, that artistic lapses seem scarcely more consequential than Scarlett's many falls from grace.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 6, 1936)

This is beyond a doubt one of the most remarkable first novels produced by an American writer. It is also one of the best.

The historical background is the chief virtue of the book, and it is the story of the times rather than the unconvincing and somewhat absurd plot that gives Miss Mitchell's work whatever importance may be attached to it.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Ralph Thompson (pay site) (Jun 30, 1936)

Mitchell, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Ein Mensch ist in seinem Leben wie Gras/er blühet wie eine Blume auf dem Felde;/wenn der Wind darüber geht, so ist sie nimmer da,/ und ihre Stätte kennet sie nicht mehr. Psalm 103
To J. R. M.
Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm, as the Tarleton twins were.
As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. (Scarlett)
I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies. (Prissy)
After all, tomorrow is another day.
My dear, I don't give a damn.
This LT work is for Margaret Mitchell's original 1936 novel, Gone with the Wind. Please distinguish it both from partial copies of the work (one or another volume from a 2, 3 or 4-volume set) and from the 1939 movie version of the same name. Thank you.

Set in Georgia at the time of the Civil War, this is the story of headstrong Scarlett O'Hara, her three marriages and her determination to keep her father's property of Tara, despite the vicissitudes of war and passion.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068483068X, Hardcover)

An anniversary edition of Margaret Mitchell's timeless classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

The turbulent romance of Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler is shaped by the ravages of the Civil War and Reconstruction.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,148,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible