Gone with the Wind (1936)

by Margaret MITCHELL

After the Civil War sweeps away the genteel life to which she has been accustomed, Scarlett O'Hara sets about to salvage her plantation home.
    The Wind Done Gone by Alice Randall (lquilter, petersonvl)
    lquilter: This work was rewritten to tell the other side of Gone With the Wind, the story that Mitchell elided with her romanticized view of racism and slavery and its "happier when they were slaves" survivors. The Mitchell estate chose to sue for copyright infringement, but lost because the court recognized that this work is an important critical commentary on Gone with the Wind, and the beliefs that animated the original.… (more)
    Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: They are both scandalous women. It’s a love hate relationship.
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (lquilter)
    lquilter: Jubilee is the true story of the author's great grandmother, a woman born to slavery as the daughter of a slave and a white slave-owner. She acted as servant to her white sister, and was a witness to antebellum life, the Civil War, and Reconstruction.
    Oh, Kentucky! by Betty Layman Receveur (blonderedhead)
    blonderedhead: Strong female heroine in a sweeping, romantic and exciting historical fiction novel. I loved both books...and think others might, too.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (StarryNightElf)
    The Wind Is Never Gone: Sequels, Parodies and Rewritings of Gone with the Wind by M. Carmen Gomez-galisteo (Prinzipessa, Prinzipessa)
    Prinzipessa: This book explains Gone with the Wind and analyzes its sequels, parodies as well as the fan fiction stories based on Gone With the Wind.
    A Skeptic's Luck by A.D. Morel (A.D.Morel)
    A.D.Morel: There's this feeling of longing, that she will not quite get there, yet we are passionately rooting for the main character, we go through her travails with her.
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (Lapsus_Linguae)
    Lapsus_Linguae: Both main heroines are strong-willed independent women who take up entrepreneurship.
    The Legacy by Katherine Webb (tesskrose)
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (GCPLreader, fulner)
    GCPLreader: melodrama in the midst of war and the invasion (and burning!) of a major city
    fulner: rich people sit around and talk about war as if it didn't matter
    Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson (theshadowknows)
    theshadowknows: These books share a similar epic, sweeping feel in bringing to life a lost and fading ideal (the American frontier in Heart of the West and the old, genteel south in Gone with the Wind.)
    My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal (fulner)
    fulner: The amount of similarities between the girls of antebellum South in Gone with the Wind and the Indian girls in Erotic Stories for Punjabi widows is striking.
    The Winds of Tara: The Saga Lives On by Katherine Pinotti (veracity)
    veracity: 'Winds of Tara' is an unauthorised sequel to 'Gone with the Wind'.
    Katherine by Anya Seton (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Its about having to deal with a very strong, charismatic man. *Sigh*
    Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig (mrstreme)
    Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley (Nyxn)
Elevenses (189)
1930s (113)

English (400)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (412)
Gahhh! im not sure if i hate or love this book more. ( )
  Kat_books | Nov 9, 2021 |
flung rosses riotously with the throng dancing to put thy pale lost lilies out of mind
  komalzaidi | Oct 20, 2021 |
I could write pages and pages of papers on this book. Rhett, Will Benteen, and Melly (Oh, Melly!) are fantastic characters that leap from the page. It's very much a character driven novel and, up until after Ashley returns to Tara, I liked it. But Mitchell crosses a line that should not be crossed with Ashley. We, as the audience, get the point and do not need a second reminder. (a little voice inside tells me that this is part of her genius, but I choose to ignore it)

So, to sum it up, I didn't like this book. But I couldn't put it down. And I do admire her larger-than-life characters. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Classics
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
Classics
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
An old fashioned, romantic narrative with no Joycean or Proustian nonsense about it, the novel is written in a methodical style which fastidious readers may find wearying. But so carefully does Author Mitchell build up her central character of Scarlett O'Hara, and her picture of the times in which that wild woman struggled, that artistic lapses seem scarcely more consequential than Scarlett's many falls from grace.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 6, 1936)

This is beyond a doubt one of the most remarkable first novels produced by an American writer. It is also one of the best.

The historical background is the chief virtue of the book, and it is the story of the times rather than the unconvincing and somewhat absurd plot that gives Miss Mitchell's work whatever importance may be attached to it.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Ralph Thompson (pay site) (Jun 30, 1936)

MITCHELL, MargaretAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Ein Mensch ist in seinem Leben wie Gras/er blühet wie eine Blume auf dem Felde;/wenn der Wind darüber geht, so ist sie nimmer da,/ und ihre Stätte kennet sie nicht mehr. Psalm 103
To J. R. M.
Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm, as the Tarleton twins were.
As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. (Scarlett)
I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies. (Prissy)
After all, tomorrow is another day.
My dear, I don't give a damn.
This LT work is for Margaret Mitchell's original 1936 novel, Gone with the Wind. Please distinguish it both from partial copies of the work (one or another volume from a 2, 3 or 4-volume set) and from the 1939 movie version of the same name. Thank you.

Set in Georgia at the time of the Civil War, this is the story of headstrong Scarlett O'Hara, her three marriages and her determination to keep her father's property of Tara, despite the vicissitudes of war and passion.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,002,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible