dismiss

Gone with the Wind (1936)

by Margaret Mitchell

After the Civil War sweeps away the genteel life to which she has been accustomed, Scarlett O'Hara sets about to salvage her plantation home.
    The Wind Done Gone by Alice Randall (lquilter, petersonvl)
    lquilter: This work was rewritten to tell the other side of Gone With the Wind, the story that Mitchell elided with her romanticized view of racism and slavery and its "happier when they were slaves" survivors. The Mitchell estate chose to sue for copyright infringement, but lost because the court recognized that this work is an important critical commentary on Gone with the Wind, and the beliefs that animated the original.… (more)
    Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: They are both scandalous women. It’s a love hate relationship.
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (lquilter)
    lquilter: Jubilee is the true story of the author's great grandmother, a woman born to slavery as the daughter of a slave and a white slave-owner. She acted as servant to her white sister, and was a witness to antebellum life, the Civil War, and Reconstruction.
    Oh, Kentucky! by Betty Layman Receveur (blonderedhead)
    blonderedhead: Strong female heroine in a sweeping, romantic and exciting historical fiction novel. I loved both books...and think others might, too.
    The Legacy by Katherine Webb (tesskrose)
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (GCPLreader)
    GCPLreader: melodrama in the midst of war and the invasion (and burning!) of a major city
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (StarryNightElf)
    A Skeptic's Luck by A.D. Morel (A.D.Morel)
    A.D.Morel: There's this feeling of longing, that she will not quite get there, yet we are passionately rooting for the main character, we go through her travails with her.
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (Lapsus_Linguae)
    Lapsus_Linguae: Both main heroines are strong-willed independent women who take up entrepreneurship.
    The Wind Is Never Gone: Sequels, Parodies and Rewritings of Gone with the Wind by M. Carmen Gomez-galisteo (Prinzipessa, Prinzipessa)
    Prinzipessa: This book explains Gone with the Wind and analyzes its sequels, parodies as well as the fan fiction stories based on Gone With the Wind.
    My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Winds of Tara: The Saga Lives On by Kate Pinotti (veracity)
    veracity: 'Winds of Tara' is an unauthorised sequel to 'Gone with the Wind'.
    Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson (theshadowknows)
    theshadowknows: These books share a similar epic, sweeping feel in bringing to life a lost and fading ideal (the American frontier in Heart of the West and the old, genteel south in Gone with the Wind.)
    Katherine by Anya Seton (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Its about having to deal with a very strong, charismatic man. *Sigh*
    Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig (mrstreme)
    Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley (Nyxn)
1930s (37)
Elevenses (179)

English (378)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (390)
Well I was tempted to just post a gif with someone giving a middle finger, but heck, I can do better than that. And honestly I want to explain (though I think my updates did a great job of that) of why this is from beginning to end pretty much one of the most disappointing books I have read this year.

I think at this point in time, many Americans have watched Gone With the Wind with Vivian Leigh and Clark Gable.

We all watched as Scarlett and Rhett clashed, how Rhett loved Scarlett who was too stubborn to let go of her girlhood obsession with Ashley Wilkes. We watched Atlanta burn. We saw Scarlett talking about how after all tomorrow is another day.

I saw this movie when I was around 8 or 9. And I fell in love with the clothes and sets. I really didn't get the whole Civil War thing (I was 8) and I was confused about the concept of slavery. Though I was a black female, it had not entered my head that a person could own another person. Of course as I read books and was in different grades I learned more about the Civil War. And what I learned was and still is distasteful to me.

As everyone noted when I posted updates and reviewed Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee I was flabbergasted that authors out there could have characters speaking about state's rights when it came to what caused the Civil War.

How confused and just flat out ticked off I was by characters that actively opposed blacks abilities to go to school alongside white children as a bad thing. I wondered at Harper Lee's own beliefs and how much of that bled into her work. And I find myself wondering the same thing about Margaret Mitchell.

Mitchell was born in 1900. That was 35 years after the end of the Civil War. Reconstruction was over by the late 1870s so she was born about 20 years or so at the end of that.

Growing up in Atlanta I am sure that she heard stories from her parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents about the Civil War. How the Cause was the only thing that mattered, that Yankees were scum, and how the South treated their slaves fairly and like family. And how many slaves were not happy at all about their freedom.

If you ever read Mitchell's biographies she goes into this and what her mother told her about the War and riding to see ruined plantations (I haven't read any of these, just asked a friend who is a Civil War hobbyist who has read a biography about Mitchell).

So with that coloring her perceptions you can read her beliefs loud and clear (at least I do) while reading Gone With the Wind. And there have been many many articles, books, etc. on the fact that Gone With the Wind has actually led to many people erroneously taking that book/movie and concluding that was true to what was going on with regards to the Civil War. That the South was this gentile place, where women were ladies, men were gentlemen, and the Negroes were happily singing in the fields and not at all unhappy with their lots in life. That the Yankees (and how I got tired of reading this word) came along and ruined things for the South by trying to force freedom on those that didn't want to be free. That all of the state's that seceded did so because they refused to be ground under the boot of the North.

The plot for this book is very simple. It follows the character of Scarlett O'Hara, living in Georgia, from the age of 16 to 28 years old during the Civil War and Reconstruction era in the United States. Written in the third person, we get to delve at times into other character's heads here and there, however, our main focal point is Scarlett.

At times I will say that I admired the character of Scarlett. A woman running her own business, making her own decisions, and doing accounts better than a man was definitely ahead of her times. But other than that, there was not much to like or root for with regards to this character.

Initially readers find out that Scarlett marries her first husband because she's mad that Ashley (a man she really knows not a thing about and who she has built up in her own mind) is going to marry someone she feels is beneath him. Marry in haste and repent at leisure was definitely a saying meant for her. We get to read about her very sad and short marriage which produces her first child. Afterwards we don't really get a sense besides pages here and there about what was going on at the same time. We have Scarlett continuously going from her home at Tara to Atlanta to stay with an aunt and Melanie Wilkes (Ashley's now wife) and Scarlett doing so just so could hear any word of Ashley.

At this point the word pathetic came to mind many times to me while reading about Scarlett.

And this is seriously the whole book. It is a lot of reading about Scarlett's machinations of those around her in order to stay close to Ashley. They have some conversations here and there, but man, I wanted to say wake up to her repeatedly.

Scarlett is not written very well in my opinion. Neither are a lot of other characters except for Melanie Wilkes. That was the only character that I found to be complex, to have hidden depths and strength that I was very interested in reading more about. I wish that someone had thought to write a story from her point of view. I would read that.

Scarlett is at times a femme fetale, and other times act as if she's a child. She's smart about business, but really dumb about life and what her actions could mean for her and her children. This makes no sense because we heard about her upbringing by her very rules following mother. So every time Scarlett did something, like inviting people she knew would not be accepted by polite society to her parties, her being shocked at being cut made me roll my eyes.

Rhett was a typical romantic hero. Rude, brash, but very sexual in his dealings with Scarlett. I think readers were supposed to find him charming. I did not. I think it was because even though at times he said some oddly poetic and true things, he like many of the characters tended to show their hypocrisy a few pages later when something came up that could cause them problems.

Case in point, Rhett refuses to volunteer for the Cause until Atlanta falls. Though he did serve (only 8 months) he refuses to talk about it and doesn't care what people say about him. In fact, this is how he appeals to Scarlett, by making her not care what people think and for the two of them and her children to make their own way in the world. Then Scarlett has his child, and all of a sudden he is worried about what would people think of her based on his actions. Apparently he didn't care a thing about what people thought until they had a baby though by all accounts in this book he did love and care for Scarlett's two children. There are numerous actions by Rhett that did not make me sympathize with him at all. Another action was when he took Bonnie away after he had a fight with Scarlett but left the other two children there.

I actually felt for Scarlett quite a bit because all along Rhett has been telling her that she shouldn't care what others think. When she finally takes his advice, he then acts as if everything she has done is wrong, and she needs to be totally different (though he praised her for business acumen and was quite happy with how smart she was when they first married) in order to fit in with the polite society that was happily rejecting them at the time.

There are a multitude of characters in this book that you may be pressed to keep a sheet on, since they come and go throughout the book. For me, most of the characters were cardboard cutouts. For example, the character of Ashley Wilkes was maybe an inch deep as a character. Ashley Wilkes goes on and on about things in the past, wants Scarlett, doesn't want her, does thing that call into question his manhood, and there is not much to him. I think if Mitchell wanted to make him a viable romantic hero for Scarlett there should have been more interaction with these two. And also we should have seen that he was about something. Based on the very little we get about Ashley, as a cold reader, I found him to be lacking and didn't need the character of Rhett always pointing out his flaws to Scarlett.

The writing was crude (there are a lot of slurs against several races in this book) and not in my opinion very good. I think the problem was that anytime a not learned white character spoke, the dialogue became unreadable. I started to hate it when a black character spoke at all. It would take me at least 2-3 minutes to decipher what in the world they were supposed to be saying. Same issue I had with characters like Archie speaking (he being the mountain man that hated women and Negroes) with him sounding like he had never heard the English language. This is a style I hate in books. Also there is a lot of Southerners were treated wrong by the North passages you had to get through. I had to read through how bad Reconstruction was, how without the Klu Klux clan running around poor white women were going to be accosted by angry apelike black men, how crooked the Democrats were, etc. It was just all over the place.

It also didn't help that most of this book was just plain filler. Reading about the actions of the North during the Civil War in long passages at times combined two different genres together for me that did not work well. MItchell was ultimately writing a romance novel, however, it is crammed with historical events that make the book read like a history book. I love history, but this was so boring and slowed the entire book down when the pacing should have stayed consistent.

And that to me leads me to the other problem. The flow of this book. It was all over the place. Told in five parts (and really long parts) the whole book felt overly long. Sometimes the book flowed wonderfully (when Scarlett gets back to Tara with Melanie, her baby, and her son) and then at other times you just read and read and want the end to come (when Scarlett marries Frank Marshall and starts her business) and you realize, nope, more chapters yet to come. The chapters ended on odd notes, there were multiple story climaxes and then when you do get to the end you just feel relief you stuck with it and got done with the book.

The settings of places such as Tara were actually written quite well. I could picture Tara, Twelve Oaks (the Wilkes plantation) and a few of the other plantations that were nearby Tara. However, Atlanta, the homes there, the places, none of that read real to me at all which is surprising. Mitchell crams a lot into this book, but it seemed to me, that if I had not none that Mitchell was born and raised in Atlanta, I would have assumed she had never been there. That is one thing that will drive me a bit crazy when reading a book. I want to feel as if I am at the place that the author describes. I want to imagine it in my own head. Atlanta felt like a mythical place that could not exist based on the way that Mitchell describes it.

The ending when it comes was not surprising at all. Foreshadowing is all over this book as you read it. You know what the end is going to be for Scarlett. Though a lot of people read hope into her lines of "well tomorrow is another day" while watching the movie, I would say they (Hollywood movie) interpreted that wrong. In the end, Scarlett realized how childish and futile it was saying that tomorrow is another day. That she needed to start seeing things for how they were and being a better person. One thing is true, she wants to return to Tara (where she always turns to when things go badly for her, and where she goes to get strong) which leads me as a reader to believe that once she returns she will get what she wants in the end.

All in all, I would say only read Gone With the Wind if it's on a list you have for books you want to read before you die. It did not enlighten me at all. I did not find it that great of a book, and I would not recommend it. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I read this when I was really quite young to be doing so and gobbled up those hundreds of thousands of words like it was a mere pamphlet. What with all the Sweet Valley and this book, it is no wonder that I have a reading ~thing~ for queen bees. Preferably of the brunette variety.

Oh, and I'm not named after the house. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
A very well-written blockbuster of a novel. It's DECADES since I saw the movie, so came to it with very vague recollections of the story.
Firstly I liked Scarlett more than I was expecting to. Unsentimental- well, over most things- driven, and utterly out for herself...especially when the Civil War brings an end to her pampered Southern lifestyle.

As a Brit, I'd never really considered what life was like in the immediate aftermath. How did all those Southerners feel about the North ending slavery? I learnt a great deal from reading this- there's history alongside a fast-paced storyline - and the Yankees certainly werent only about bringing in an ethical society. Much corruption, disenfranchisement of Southern whites, overnight empowerment of former slaves...all resulting in a fractured, angry society....and the beginnings of the Ku Klux Klan (made me think of post WW1 Germany,fiercely policed and impoverished by the rest of Europe...and the anger and resentment finding vent in escalating anti-semitism.

But this is primarily a story of people...Scarlett O'Hara, the feisty Irish/Creole plantation owner, her two weak husbands, Ashley Hamilton, on whom she pins all her drreams for years, and his wife- and Scarlett's friend....the good-natured Melanie.
And Rhett Butler, the wealthy, handsome, sardonic character- a goodie or a thoroughly bad man? - always around on the fringes...
Stonking good read. ( )
  starbox | Jun 5, 2020 |
This Pulitzer Prize winning novel begins just before the war between the states. Scarlett O'Hara is sixteen years old. Her father is Irish and her mother is French. She has two living sisters and three brothers who died while very young. While at the Wilkes barbecue, after professing her ardor for Ashley Wilkes, in the library, she meets that rogue, that scoundrel Rhett Butler. And so it begins. Their relationship begins with fiery passion and never changes.
As I began reading this very BIG book, I decided to accompany Scarlett on her journey. She is not the best companion. She's spoiled, selfish and immature. I do believe through the years, she does mature. However, at the end of the journey, she is still spoiled and selfish. It's all about Scarlett. Throughout the story, no one defeated her and no one broke her spirit. Her motives, throughout the book, at best were questionable, however, she does possess a few redeeming qualities. She loved her parents dearly. Scarlett was good for her word. She promised Ashley she would look after Melanie and she did. During the war she took care of Melanie and her baby. With the help of Rhett Butler, accompanied by Melanie, her baby, Wade and Prissy she traveled through war torn Georgia hiding from those the Confederates fought. Her destination ~ Tara.
She was a STRONG character! She was, without a doubt, one of the strongest female protagonists I've met, in fiction.
She loved Math and had a good head for business.
She didn't care what anybody thought or said. Gossip was just that, gossip.
Now I turn to Rhett Butler. Rejected by his family and the citizens of Charleston, he came to Georgia. He traveled frequently and there are a few surprises in the story about him. He was a blockade runner during the war, however, toward the end of the conflict, he fought with Georgia. I loved the way he teased and tormented Scarlett. I laughed with him as he plagued her. I thought he was hilarious. Rhett and Scarlett were so much alike, but I didn't think he was the bully Scarlett was. He could see right through her antics and read her mind, much to her distress. They were both incorrigible.
I can't say I really had a favorite character, however, I did like Mammy and Melanie. At times I was surprised at Melanie. Ashley was a broken man.
The book is well written. Highly recommend! ( )
  KatiesCottage | May 7, 2020 |
Unfortunately, it's one of those novels that tells an interesting story, but doesn't hold up under a second reading. The characters are flat, the writing less than stellar. ( )
  rodweston | Apr 23, 2020 |
An old fashioned, romantic narrative with no Joycean or Proustian nonsense about it, the novel is written in a methodical style which fastidious readers may find wearying. But so carefully does Author Mitchell build up her central character of Scarlett O'Hara, and her picture of the times in which that wild woman struggled, that artistic lapses seem scarcely more consequential than Scarlett's many falls from grace.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 6, 1936)

This is beyond a doubt one of the most remarkable first novels produced by an American writer. It is also one of the best.

The historical background is the chief virtue of the book, and it is the story of the times rather than the unconvincing and somewhat absurd plot that gives Miss Mitchell's work whatever importance may be attached to it.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Ralph Thompson (pay site) (Jun 30, 1936)

Mitchell, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Ein Mensch ist in seinem Leben wie Gras/er blühet wie eine Blume auf dem Felde;/wenn der Wind darüber geht, so ist sie nimmer da,/ und ihre Stätte kennet sie nicht mehr. Psalm 103
To J. R. M.
Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm, as the Tarleton twins were.
As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. (Scarlett)
I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies. (Prissy)
After all, tomorrow is another day.
My dear, I don't give a damn.
This LT work is for Margaret Mitchell's original 1936 novel, Gone with the Wind. Please distinguish it both from partial copies of the work (one or another volume from a 2, 3 or 4-volume set) and from the 1939 movie version of the same name. Thank you.

Set in Georgia at the time of the Civil War, this is the story of headstrong Scarlett O'Hara, her three marriages and her determination to keep her father's property of Tara, despite the vicissitudes of war and passion.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,972,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible