dismiss

Circe by Madeline Miller

Circe

by Madeline Miller

3,4081982,618 (4.29)359
In the house of Helios, god of the sun and mightiest of the Titans, a daughter is born. But Circe is a strange child -- not powerful, like her father, nor viciously alluring like her mother. Turning to the world of mortals for companionship, she discovers that she does possess power -- the power of witchcraft, which can transform rivals into monsters and menace the gods themselves. Threatened, Zeus banishes her to a deserted island, where she hones her occult craft, tames wild beasts and crosses paths with many of the most famous figures in all of mythology, including the Minotaur, Daedalus and his doomed son Icarus, the murderous Medea, and, of course, wily Odysseus. But there is danger, too, for a woman who stands alone, and Circe unwittingly draws the wrath of both men and gods, ultimately finding herself pitted against one of the most terrifying and vengeful of the Olympians. To protect what she loves most, Circe must summon all her strength and choose, once and for all, whether she belongs with the gods she is born from, or the mortals she has come to love.… (more)

English (193)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (197)
My second Madeline Miller, I have to admit I liked Song of Achilles slightly better, but ONLY SLIGHTLY. I loved both. :)

She really brings Circe to life, from Hawk to Nymph to rambunctious daughter of Helios to the mistreated sister to the woman who just says "f***-it I'd rather live alone. "

I didn't really miss the lack of a constant plot.

This is a story of a life, even if it is a story of a god's life, and she's really caught in a sore spot. I simply LIKED this in the way I'd love to watch a movie about a wonderfully complex character as she lived and grew as a person and sometimes had these famous people drop in every once in a while. Daedalus, Jason and his Argonauts, Medea, a certain main of Ithica, and a couple of badass gods, too.

And you know what? She comes out on top. Some tragedies, yes, and a lot of crap, but I love how this ends. Even with the tragedy.

I can see why so many people fall in love with these books. :) I did, too. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I loved this! Granted, this was very slow-moving and the plot wasn't all that exciting, but I didn't mind at all because I enjoy Miller's writing immensely. Her style is so lyrical and beautiful without using lots of unnecessary words which I think many eloquent writers do.

I know my way around Greek mythology pretty well but there were still new and interesting facts woven into this story that I hadn't ever heard! I loved how this story turned Circe into a well-rounded character one could be sympathetic for after she had been the enemy in everything I'd so far read about her. The way this novel addressed the miseries of eternal life was fascinating as well; I've always wondered how immortal beings don't eventually get bored. I also really loved the ending, it made so much sense for the story to go there.

Now I'm also really in the mood to pick up [b:The Penelopiad|39837245|The Penelopiad|Margaret Atwood|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1523633543s/39837245.jpg|3016476]. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
There's a feeling you get in your chest, and the bottom of your belly, when you see something beautiful, something excruciating in its loveliness. When you read the last line of a poem or novel, and you know it is something special, meaningful, and devastating. It doesn't happen often, which probably makes it that much more powerful. This book does that. ( )
1 vote carlypancakes | May 28, 2020 |
Gorgeous writing! The story hooked me right away... until it didn’t. It was a five star read until it just got bogged down and stalled on Telegonus.

I know I have some biases but I cannot abide by books where the character has no heart until she has a child. Sigh.

It did pick up near the end but by then I was over it. ( )
  gakgakg | May 28, 2020 |
Circe by Madeline Miller is pretty good antiquity fanfiction – which means to say good things about "Circe" and about fanfiction. It manages to convey how everybody in Greek myths is cruel or stupid or both in some way – not the most uplifting book, but a good take on Circe, to be sure. ( )
  _rixx_ | May 24, 2020 |
“Circe” will surely delight readers new to the witch’s stories as it will many who remember her role in the Greek myths of their childhood: Like a good children’s book, it engrosses and races along at a clip, eliciting excitement and emotion along the way.

Miller has taken the familiar materials of character, and wrought some satisfying turns of her own.

[W]hat elevates Circe is Miller’s luminous prose, which is both enormously readable and evocative, and the way in which she depicts the gulf between gods and mortals.

Written in prose that ripples with a gleaming hyperbole befitting the epic nature of the source material, there is nothing inaccessible or antiquated about either Circe or her adventures.

The character of Circe only occupies a few dozen lines of [the Odyssey], but Miller extracts worlds of meaning from Homer's short phrases.

Madeline Millerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weeks, PerditaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

For Nathaniel
νόστος
When I was born, the name for what I was did not exist.
“A happy man is too occupied with his life. He thinks he is beholden to no one. But make him shiver, kill his wife, cripple his child, then you will hear from him. He will starve his family for a month to buy you a pure-white yearling calf. If he can afford it, he will buy you a hundred.” “But surely,” I said, “you have to reward him eventually. Otherwise, he will stop offering.” “Oh, you would be surprised how long he will go on. But yes, in the end, it’s best to give him something. Then he will be happy again. And you can start over.”
This was how mortals found fame, I thought. Through practice and diligence, tending their skills like gardens until they glowed beneath the sun. But gods are born of ichor and nectar, their excellences already bursting from their fingertips. So they find their fame by proving what they can mar: destroying cities, starting wars, breeding plagues and monsters. All that smoke and savor rising so delicately from our altars. It leaves only ash behind.
Timidity creates nothing.
But in a solitary life, there are rare moments when another soul dips near yours, as stars once a year brush the earth. Such a constellation was he to me.
As it turned out, I did kill pigs that night after all.

In the house of Helios, god of the sun and mightiest of the Titans, a daughter is born. But Circe is a strange child--not powerful, like her father, nor viciously alluring like her mother. Turning to the world of mortals for companionship, she discovers that she does possess power--the power of witchcraft, which can transform rivals into monsters and menace the gods themselves.

But there is danger, too, for a woman who stands alone, and Circe unwittingly draws the wrath of both men and gods, ultimately finding herself pitted against one of the most terrifying and vengeful of the Olympians. To protect what she loves most, Circe must summon all her strength and choose, once and for all, whether she belongs with the gods she is born from, or the mortals she has come to love. Amazon

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,596,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible