The Mists of Avalon (1982)

by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Series: Avalon, Published Order (1), Avalon, Chronological Order (7)

14,708278289 (4.07)2 / 650
When Morgan le Fay (Morgaine) has to sacrifice her virginity during fertility rites, the man who impregnates her is her younger brother Arthur, whom she turns against when she thinks he has betrayed the old religion of Avalon.
    The King Must Die by Mary Renault (krasiviye.slova)
    krasiviye.slova: Similar decline and fall of the matriarchy theme, with different spins.
    Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey (cataylor)
    Mabinogion Tetralogy by Evangeline Walton (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: Very similar subject on mythology, Celts, Druids, and Matriarchy.
    Confessions of a Pagan Nun: A Novel by Kate Horsley (fyrefly98)
    The Language of the Goddess by Marija Gimbutas (CurrerBell)
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (alchymyst)
    Lily of the Nile by Stephanie Dray (legxleg)
    legxleg: I am pairing these two books together because both have a thread of female-centric religion struggling to survive.
    The Song of Albion Collection: The Paradise War, The Silver Hand, and The Endless Knot by Stephen Lawhead (charlie68)
    charlie68: Also a fun blend of early British myths.
    The Forest House by Marion Zimmer Bradley (AniIma)
    AniIma: Fantastic, mythical, Arthurian Legend. Wonderful and skillfull storytelling by the author, Marion Zimmer Bradley.
    Queen of Camelot by Nancy Mckenzie (lannabrooke13, wordcauldron)
    lannabrooke13: I personally thought Mckenzie's version was much more realistic and engaging!
    wordcauldron: My favorite retelling of Arthurian legend. Period.
    Hild: A Novel by Nicola Griffith (kiwiflowa)
    Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (ktoonen)
    ktoonen: Similar writing style, with strong feminist themes in epic fantasy.
    Votan and Other Novels by John James (LamontCranston)
    Bulfinch's Mythology by Thomas Bulfinch (charlie68)
    charlie68: Another fun group of myths.
    The Circle of Ceridwen (Circle of Ceridwen Trilogy, #1) by Octavia Randolph (al.vick)
    The White Mare by Jules Watson (al.vick)
    Hawk of May by Gillian Bradshaw (MissBrangwen)
    The Wolf Hunt by Gillian Bradshaw (cataylor)
    The Black Chalice by Marie Jakober (lquilter)
    lquilter: Like Bradley's Mists of Avalon, Marie Jakober's The Black Chalice has similar patriarchy-superseding-matriarchal-magic themes, but with Germanic mythology. Beautifully written.
    The Circle Cast by Alex Epstein (Bitter_Grace)

English (260)  Dutch (9)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  All languages (277)
women's viewpoint and Pagan perspective, sort of
  ritaer | Jun 3, 2021 |
Marion Zimmer Bradley was so important to me when I was a teenager. I read so many of her books, and I am not sure how many times I read the Mists of Avalon, but for a couple of years it was a huge part of my imagination. I forgot about this book for many years, and in 2020 for some reason I decided to revisit it. The first 2 evenings that I spent reading the first part of the book was like a visit to the past. I did have a different perspective on things, and more criticisms as well, but I still did very much enjoyed it. Last night I learned about Marion Zimmer Bradley being a pedophile, and I read the article in the Guardian. I was so shocked. Usually I try to make the separation between the book and the author, but this time I am not being able to. I am not being able to concentrate, and I am most certainly not enjoying myself. I am not going to force myself to do this. I will always cherish the memories of my younger self and how much the young Clarissa loved this book, but I am not going to continue re-reading it. It will stay in the past. ( )
  Clarissa_ | May 11, 2021 |
One of my favorite books of all times. ( )
  MarlaBurr | Mar 14, 2021 |
Both a woman’s perspective on the Arthurian legend and a telling from the Druidic perspective. I had read this a number of years ago but found the audiobook experience entirely fresh. I had little recollection of many details. It odd an always entertaining story.
  waldhaus1 | Feb 4, 2021 |
Truly fascinating. Feels like The Once and Future King is the dumbed-down history the winners wrote and this is the actual, real thing. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
In ''The Mists of Avalon,'' Marion Zimmer Bradley's monumental reimagining of the Arthurian legends, the story begins differently, in the slow stages of female desire and of moral, even mythic, choice. Stepping into this world through the Avalon mists, we see the saga from an entirely untraditional perspective: not Arthur's, not Lancelot's, not Merlin's. We see the creation of Camelot from the vantage point of its principal women - Viviane, Gwynyfar, Morgaine and Igraine. This, the untold Arthurian story, is no less tragic, but it has gained a mythic coherence; reading it is a deeply moving and at times uncanny experience.

Marion Zimmer Bradleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bralds, BraldtCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herranen, PaulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ohl, ManfredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richardson, NatashaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sartorius, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"...Morgan le Fay was not married, but put to school in a nunnery, where she became a great mistress of magic."
— Malory, Morte d'Arthur
Morgaine speaks...In my time I have been called many things: sister, lover, priestess, wise-woman, queen.
a land ruled by priests is a land filled with tyrants on Earth and in Heaven
the faith of Christ is a fitting faith for slaves who think themselves sinners and humble
What of the King Stag, when the young stag is grown?
The French edition is divided into 2 volumes.
The Brazilian and Spanish editions are divided into 4 volumes.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,952,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible