Girl with a Pearl Earring (1999)

by Tracy Chevalier

A maid becomes a model for the 17th century Dutch painter, Vermeer. The woman, an artisan's daughter with a strong power of observation, describes his manner of work, his household and life of the day, including the rigid class system and religious bigotry. A debut in fiction.

A fictional tale about famous artist Vermeer and his unique painting style and subjects. The painting titled "Girl with a Pearl Earring," is reason for the tale. She is a young maid hired to be Vermeer's wife's maid, but Vermeer has an interest in her as well.

It was well written, and I was pulled in enough to not stop and I did think about it when I wasn't reading. But early on I was more intrigued by another book, so put this aside for a bit, and then obviviously picked it back up. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
This book is like fan fiction for Vemeer's painting "Girl with a Pearl Earring." It's a story about how the girl pictured in this painting came to Vemeer's house as a maid, helped Vemeer grind paint colors, was requested by Vemeer's patron buyer to sit for a portrait, raised jealousy from Vemeer's wife, and ultimately resigned from the family as a maid to marry and start a family. The girl loved art, and she had a crush on Vemeer. She often had to struggle between her yearning for art and her constraints as a working-class girl who needs to focus on supporting her family through manual labor. Ultimately she resigned herself to marriage to a fellow-working class man and loved her children and family. I'm glad she became content at the end, and I probably would have done the same myself. But it would have been great if she had had chance to live a life that pursued art. I admire her for her strong capabilities to do everything that comes to her path so well, whether it's laundry, cleaning, grinding paint, understanding art, or butchering.

Read this for a book club and really enjoyed the experience! ( )
  CathyChou | Mar 11, 2022 |
The book was well-written and mostly was good, but I was disappointed in some of it. ( )
  Wren73 | Mar 4, 2022 |
Abandoned after one third of the book, probably.

I was really really planning to love this book because I really really love the movie. But no.

After suffering with it for a couple of days I realized it would be better to just stop and leave it before I actually begin to hate the main character so much that it ruins the movie for me too. ( )
  alissee | Dec 8, 2021 |
This film, adapted from a work of fiction by author Tracy Chevalier, tells a story about the events surrounding the creation of the painting "Girl With A Pearl Earring" by 17th-century Dutch master Johannes Vermeer. A young peasant maid working in the house of painter Johannes Vermeer becomes his talented assistant and the model for one of his most famous works. (source: TMDb)
  aptrvideo | Oct 22, 2021 |
For a while it seems that it will be... an artist romance. Tracy Chevalier steers her novel deliberately close and tacks abruptly away. The book she has written, despite a lush note or two and occasional incident overload, is something far different and better... [Instead, it is] a brainy novel whose passion is ideas.

Chevalier's exploration into the soul of this complex but nave young woman is moving, and her depiction of 17th-century Delft is marvelously evocative.

Chevalier, Tracyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Strandberg, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tremain, RoseForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vázquez, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wulfekamp, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Chevalier's classic book takes place during the 17th Century and features Griet, a young Dutch maid, who moves in with the family of the well-known artist Vermeer; she discovers that her profession requires long hours, no privacy, and small contact with her own ailing family. However, Griet's only place of solitude is when she cleans Vermeer's studio and reveals to him her appreciation of his art.

4 1955

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,602,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible