Peony in Love (2007)

by Lisa See

Peony is the cloistered daughter of a wealthy family is betrothed to a suitor she has never met, these lyrics from The Peony Pavilion mirror her own longings. In the garden of the Chen Family Villa, a small theatrical troupe is performing scenes from this epic opera. Peony attends the production, watching from behind a screen, but catches sight of a handsome man and begins a journey of love and sorrow.… (more)
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See (emib, mcdougaldd)
    mcdougaldd: Both are about women's roles in 17th century China. The author is very good at describing the times and attitudes.
    Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden (leahsimone)
    Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier (leahsimone)
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Different premise but makes use of what happens to souls in the afterlife
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (leahsimone)
    The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo (library_gal)
    Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Ghosts reach into our world to complete tasks left undone
    The Secrets of Jin-shei by Alma Alexander (Yorkist)

English (141)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (143)
Interesting take on the Oriental afterlife ( )
  aldimartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
Interesting take on the Oriental afterlife ( )
  Andy_DiMartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
An interesting premise with mediocre execution: The Peony Pavilion tragic-romance opera is the instigator of female longings and ambitions in 17th century China, at a time of political upheavals and mayhem. The central character's romantic encounter is gripping and engaging, and coincides with her intellectual awakening. This momentum is interrupted when [SPOILER ALERT] the main character dies about one-third into the book. Unsurprisingly, having a dead main character slows and drags the rest of the novel, which wallows too much in Chinese ghost-conventions and becomes almost a paean to female masochism, sinking into high-faluting whining about how no one pays attention to women. There's a valid point to be made, but it's made at too great length and insistence. It's the same problem I have with Virginia Woolf: Get over it already, lady. Stop complaining and start working -- as a writer. ( )
  oatleyr | Aug 22, 2020 |
I am glad that I listened to it rather than read it. I enjoyed the beginning because of the historical background for that time period and the one before. I have read a lot about foot binding so I already knew many details about. The play that was given as a 16th birthday present, I was also familiar with. But the main character's story was incrediably tragic and could have been prevented. From the time that Peony kept her eyes when she had a chance to see her betrothed, I knew that it would be very difficult to listen to the rest of the story.

I made it to the end but it was depressing that I could never listen to it again. The author wrote beautifully but I would not attempt this book if you are depression prone. ( )
  Carolee888 | Jun 30, 2019 |
More like 3 1/2 stars. Original and well written, although every now and then I came upon a 20th century-sounding phrase that ripped the historical veil a little for me. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
For BOB LOOMIS, in celebration of his fifty years at Random House
Two days before my sixteenth birthday, I woke up so early that my maid was still asleep on the floor at the foot of my bed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,413,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible