Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (2005)

by Lisa See

English (338)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (346)
La historia de la relación entre Lirio Blanco y Flor de Nieve me fue atrapando sin que me diera cuenta, hasta el punto en el que me fue imposible dejar de leer. No me convenció nada su comienzo, pero ya en la sobrecogedora escena del vendado de pies (que he incluído en las notas) vi que Lisa See puede introducir al lector en la historia de una forma incomparable. He visto documentales sobre esta costumbre china, fotografías y relatos de mujeres que lo han sufrido, pero sólo con las palabras de Lisa See se me pusieron los pelos de punta. La autora da voz a Lirio Blanco en el más amplio sentido de la palabra, pues la sencillez y naturalidad de su lenguaje hace que nos parezca que Lirio blanco nos está hablando, a nuestro lado.
  L0r0 | Mar 22, 2015 |
This was very good. A bit short for the scope of the story, and for my tastes. But still very good, allowed for a great connection to Lily as a human character. Not to mention the cultural tidbits were really awesome. And foot-binding almost made me throw up. Which is, I suppose, a good sign. ( )
  dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |
Highly recommended! A heartbreaking book in many ways, but such a provocative inside view of Chinese culture and women's roles within it. And for once (slight spoiler alert!) the main conflict between two women wasn't over a romantic relationship with a man! :) ( )
  AlisonLea | Jan 10, 2015 |
The book is incredibly engaging. Even as I struggled to keep my own Western perceptions in check – not being able to contain my shock and frustration at the way Chinese mothers degraded their daughters and Chinese daughters considered themselves unworthy of any kind of goodness in their lives – I also could not put the book down for a full 12 hours one night. The story of Lily and Snow Flower is one of beauty and even courage, at times, and it is remarkably vivid in its presentation of Chinese culture in the late 19th century. Every phrase paints a clear picture, and every scene provokes some kind of emotion. Yet, in everything there is the thread of friendship that perhaps only women usually come to know… that which transcends family and which thinks nothing of intense affection. I have felt such love in my own life only a couple of times, and it is truly deeper than familial love because it is one of choice. Ultimately, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan is the chronicle of two friends who chose to devote themselves to each other for life, no matter the cost. Author Lisa See made me desire that type of love once again simply by telling this story. ( )
  phrenetic.mind | Dec 30, 2014 |
I thought I would never finish this book. It was definitely all about character development, and it would probably be a good book for group discussions, but I guess I just wasn't in the mood for it. Off to the thrift shop it goes. ( )
  megansbooklist | Nov 30, 2014 |

Lisa Seeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ridder, SusanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Song, JanetNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am what they call in our village "one who has not yet died" -- a widow, eighty years old.
No matter how scared I was of her words, I wanted to cling to those wings and fly away

Friends Snow Flower and Lily find solace in their bond as they face isolation, arranged marriages, loss, and motherhood in nineteenth-century China.

In nineteenth-century China, in a remote Hunan county, a girl named Lily, at the tender age of seven, is paired with a laotong, “old same,” in an emotional match that will last a lifetime. The laotong, Snow Flower, introduces herself by sending Lily a silk fan on which she’s painted a poem in nu shu, a unique language that Chinese women created in order to communicate in secret, away from the influence of men. As the years pass, Lily and Snow Flower send messages on fans, compose stories on handkerchiefs, reaching out of isolation to share their hopes, dreams, and accomplishments. Together, they endure the agony of foot-binding, and reflect upon their arranged marriages, shared loneliness, and the joys and tragedies of motherhood. The two find solace, developing a bond that keeps their spirits alive. But when a misunderstanding arises, their deep friendship suddenly threatens to tear apart.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:54 -0400)

In nineteenth century China, in a remote Hunan county, a girl named Lily, at the tender age of seven, is paired with a laotong, or "old same," in an emotional match that will last a lifetime. The two women exchange messages written on silk fans and handkerchieves using nu shu, a unique language that women created in order to communicate in secret, sharing their experiences, but when a misunderstanding arises, their friendship threatens to tear apart.… (more)

Lisa See is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,176,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible