The Time Machine (1895)

by H. G. Wells

Series: El País Aventuras (21)

A scientist invents a time machine and uses it to travel to the year 802,701 A.D., where he discovers the childlike Eloi and the hideous underground Morlocks.
    The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (chrisharpe)
    The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Time Ships is a sequel to The Time Machine.
    The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov (codeeater)
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (chrisharpe)
    Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (ladybug74)
    The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (Tanya-dogearedcopy)
    Morlock Night by K. W. Jeter (Michael.Rimmer)
    Rocannon's World by Ursula K. Le Guin (quigui)
    quigui: I found the aliens on Rocannon's world reminiscent of the future species in the Time Machine. And although there is not actual time travel involved in Rocannon's World, there is a time lapse difference due to space travel at near light speed.
    Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Each novel speculates on the far future by means of a time-travelling scientist.
    The Dechronization of Sam Magruder: A Novel by George Gaylord Simpson (bertilak)
    Rivers of Time by L. Sprague de Camp (dukeallen)
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (JGolomb)
    The Swarm by Frank Schätzing (Anonymous user)
    The Anacronopete, or, The Time Ship: A Chrononautical Journey by Enrique Gaspar (Anonymous user)
    Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut (DeusXMachina)
    DeusXMachina: Human evolution
    Stranger in a Strange Land (Uncut Edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (ladybug74)
    The Diamond Lens by Fitz James O'Brien (Anonymous user)
    Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott (BrynDahlquis)
    The Wine of Violence by James Morrow (themulhern)
    themulhern: The two books have great similarities and remarkable differences.
1890s (4)
. (5)

English (290)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (302)
A classic book that is still very relevant in todays world. This is a book of a time traveller who travels to the very distant future, and sees what humans evolve into. The result is a comparison to todays society and the differences between the classes to the extreme level. This is a short read, but definitely a recommended book. Mr Wells does a great job in making this book brief on the cultures and technology of the late 1800s so that it can still be read today without difficulty in relating to the main characters story. ( )
  sjh4255 | May 4, 2021 |
This was somewhat disappointing. I have been wanting to read this book for decades and finally this week decided to pull it off the shelf and read it. I read Wells’ The Invisible Man and The War Of The Worlds way back when I was in grade school and remember being enthralled by TWOTW but finding TIM a little tedious. TTM was not tedious but not great as I was expecting it to be. I think the problem is two-fold. One, the writing style is from the 19th C and so not as captivating as contemporary writing. Second, I think I know the story too well from films that are based upon it that there was nothing new while I was reading - I knew what was going to happen before I turned the page. Which is unfortunate. I wonder if for these older classics they now need to be read while one is young before reading derivative material dims their impact. If I try to imagine what it must have been like to read this when first released at the turn of the last century, it must have been great. But reading now in my 5th decade in the 21st C, not so much. ( )
  Neil_Luvs_Books | Apr 17, 2021 |
I am so glad that I am going back and re-reading H.G. Wells. I enjoyed reading him in high school, but, no offense to my younger self, I only appreciated Wells on one level. Just like I was blown away by my re-read of "The Island of Dr. Moreau," this book was just as stunning, although not as deeply disturbing. If you have not read Moreau, stop reading this review and go read it. We'll talk when you get back.

In Moreau, Wells explores the nature of man, his place in the scheme of things, as well as man's supposed moral nature set against the amorality of science. Clearly an example of Einstein's famous fear that "our technology has surpassed our humanity." Equally disturbing is the idea that the concept and identity of God clearly is a function of your own personal point of reference and a position ready to be filled by whomever has the power to take it.

In The Time Machine, Wells tackles society, economic realities, and evolution and presents a plausible and terrifying scenario. On one level we have a great sci-fi adventure about the evil and monstrous Moorlocks and the sheep-like but sympathetic Eloi. That is what I read as a kid. However on my re-read I was fascinated when I learned who these races represent and I really can't argue with his theories. I don't want to give anything away, because I HATE spoilers, but I will say that this novel is a social commentary on a level with anything written by Dickens and although I always enjoyed Wells as a masterful and creative story-teller, I now recognize Wells as a great thinker as well. I bought the Delphi edition of his complete works because I want to read everything the man wrote and spend some time with his work.

Then, as a sort of ad-on set piece at the end, Wells' scientist sets his time machine's dial to the distant future to observe, first hand, the end of the world. So logical that a scientist would do this, it fits perfectly into the story and shows how great a storyteller Wells was. However, this scene goes way beyond mere story-telling. I read this section several times. We have read this type of scene before but I will argue that it has never been done anywhere nearly as well as this. Chilling, creepy, unnerving, dark beyond description----absolutely brilliant. This set of scenes put this book onto my all time favorite shelf.

ChrisMcCaffrey | Apr 6, 2021 |
I picked this book so I can cross out another title from my ultimate reading list: NPR's Top 100 Best Sci-Fi and Fantasy books.
This is one of the books that, albeit short, needs to be reread. The first part of the plot is too confusing for me and I fell asleep halfway through the story. I can say that the movie is somewhat better than the book. Some readers may enjoy this book, so I won't stop them from reading it.
  DzejnCrvena | Apr 2, 2021 |
The time machine is still a scifi classic. While you have to take a leap of faith with regards to the science and technology, the story itself is fascinating. Are our descendants really destined to become morlocks? ( )
  Karlstar | Mar 13, 2021 |
Without question The Time Machine... will take its place among the great stories of our language. Like all excellent works it has meanings within its meaning and no one who has read the story will forget the dramatic effect of the change of scene in the middle of the book, when the story alters its key, and the Time Traveller reveals the foundation of slime and horror on which the pretty life of his Arcadians is precariously and fearfully resting...

The Arcadians had become as pretty as flowers in their pursuit of personal happiness. They had dwindled and would be devoured because of that. Their happiness itself was haunted. Here Wells’s images of horror are curious. The slimy, the viscous, the foetal reappear; one sees the sticky, shapeless messes of pond life, preposterous in instinct and frighteningly without mind. One would like to hear a psychologist on these shapes which recall certain surrealist paintings; but perhaps the biologist fishing among the algas, and not the unconscious, is responsible for them.
added by SnootyBaronet | editNew Statesman, V.S. Pritchett

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us.
It is a law of nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble.
Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness.
Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change. Only those animals partake of intelligence that have to meet a huge variety of needs and dangers.
I grieved to think how brief the dream of the human intellect had been. It had committed suicide. It had set itself steadfastly towards comfort and ease, a balanced society with security and permanency as its watchword, it had attained its hopes—to come to this at last. Once, life and property must have reached almost absolute safety. The rich had been assured of his wealth and comfort, the toiler assured of his life and work. No doubt in that perfect world there had been no unemployed problem, no social question left unsolved. And a great quiet had followed.
He, I know—for the question had been discussed among us long before the Time Machine was made—thought but cheerlessly of the Advancement of Mankind, and saw in the growing pile of civilisation only a foolish heaping that must inevitably fall back upon and destroy its makers in the end. If that is so, it remains for us to live as though it were not so.

When a Victorian scientist propels himself into the year a.d. 802,701, he is initially delighted to find that suffering has been replaced by beauty, contentment, and peace. Entranced at first by the Eloi, an elfin species descended from man, he soon realizes that these beautiful people are simply remnants of a once-great culture—now weak and childishly afraid of the dark. They have every reason to be afraid: in deep tunnels beneath their paradise lurks another race descended from humanity—the sinister Morlocks. And when the scientist’s time machine vanishes, it becomes clear he must search these tunnels if he is ever to return to his own era.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439971, 0141028955, 0143566431, 0141199342

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100771, 1400109094

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,756,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible