The Swarm (2004)

by Frank Schätzing

Frank Schätzing's amazing novel is a publishing phenomenon with translation rights sold around the world, drawing rave reviews for both pulsating suspense and great scientific knowledge. The world begins to suffer an escalating and sensational series of natural disasters, and two marine biologists begin to develop a theory that the cause lies in the oceans, where an entity know as the Yrr has developed a massive network of single-cell organisms. It is wreaking havoc in order to prevent humankind from destroying the earth's ecological balance forever. The Americans, under the ruthless General Judith Lee, take a more pragmatic approach than the scientists, seeking to wipe out the being of the deep. The scene is set for a massive confrontation...… (more)
    The Deadly Deep by Jon Messmann (isabelx)
    isabelx: Ocean creatures start attacking mankind in both stories.
    The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Same idea, but written 50 years earlier.
    Beast by Peter Benchley (Bridgey)
    Bridgey: same sort of thing, mans greed turning sea creatures against us

English (47)  German (17)  Dutch (5)  Italian (3)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (77)
Me ha gustado sobre todo la primera mitad del libro. No pretendo desanimar (creo que ha merecido la pena), pero hacia el final me ha ido resultando cada vez menos interesante. ( )
  mirenbz | Jun 14, 2020 |
Frank Schätzing's The Swarm is a superb if not intimidating book, some people may be weary of its size at 881 pages but I can assure you it’s well worth the time. Rather than reading two potentially average books you can devote said time to this, an excellent book. I enjoyed this to the point that I’d say it’s one of the best, if not the best book I’ve read so far this year (my 68th book in April 2020).

Whilst initially it seems like a bit of a monster in the deep novel, it expands into an all-encompassing disaster novel bringing the world to the brink of collapse. Whilst it does feature a bit of a stereotypical portrayal of Americas as Christian fundamentalists who see themselves as blessed by God and the only solution to problems is to kill, it’s not to the point that is derails the narrative. One could even say in some ways it brings it up to date with the current themes prevalent in large swaths of American society (yes, I write this as a foreigner looking in from the outside).

Overall, it was an excellent thriller with speculative aspects that give food for thought on the current manner in which humanity conducts itself, the science fiction aspects are believably possible and despite its size, it’s quite a page turner. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Apr 21, 2020 |
To be honest, I can live with the minor factual errors in Frank Schätzing's book as well as with the grammatical ones that emerged in the translation. I'm even fine with his one-dimensional portrayal of Americans as a bunch of God-fearing, trigger-happy yahoos who think that the only solution to any problem is to kill it, because it's not as though there aren't any examples in recent memory to support such a depiction.

But I just can't accept writing that is as poorly done as it is in this book. It reads too much like a novelization of a TV miniseries rather than a true novel, as instead of developing a plot or nuanced characters Schätzing prefers to take his readers from set action sequence to set action sequence. Too many of them read like scenes from the sort of CGI-driven disaster movies that Hollywood has churned out over the past quarter-century, something that the author underscores by his characters' frequent references to them. The only silver lining is that it's all blessedly skimable, as the lack of depth allows the reader to skip through the pages like a rock bouncing off of a lake — or perhaps the best advice is to just skip reading it altogether. ( )
  MacDad | Mar 27, 2020 |
A four star book with a two star ending ( )
  evil_cyclist | Mar 16, 2020 |
A book that scared the living daylights out of me at times. Not just because it is a very scary story about what happens when sea creatures leave the sea behind and start coming/living on shore. But even more as a wake-up call (read it in in 2005!) that the world as we know it is changing and that we are making a significant contribution to that. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Dec 23, 2019 |

Spencer, Sally-AnnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vicini, SergioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
hishuk ish ts'awalk
Nuu-chah-nulth tribe, Vancouver Island
Love, deeper than the ocean.
For Sabina
Juan Narciso Ucañan went to his fate that Wednesday, and no one even noticed.
hishuk ish ts'awalk
de Nuu-Chah-Nulth-stam, Vancouver Island

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,445,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible