The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov

The End of Eternity (1955)

by Isaac Asimov

Eternity, Inc. had begun in the 27th century as a trade organization, shipping goods from one century to another. But its real mission was much greater; it controlled human history.
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (codeeater)
    Great Work of Time {novella} by John Crowley (whiten06)
    whiten06: Two great time-travel novels with similar premises

English (57)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Russian (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (70)
Asimov might be my favorite author. Very few books give me such a thrill when it comes to any kind of fiction. His trademarks are here - romance, a fast plot, small cast of characters, huge scope, big feel, twists turns and a conclusion that ended up giving me goosebumps.

As is the case with most time travel stories, there's a ton of paradoxes but Asimov manages to guide most of the way without losing me. There's certainly some antiquated language but the book was written 65 years ago and it's so incredible to see such modern themes so long ago. There's a ton of themes here - class, nuclear power, war, history, psychology, regret...all the good stuff that I loved so much about the Robots/Foundation is present here. Short and sweet. ( )
  hskey | Jan 19, 2020 |
Isaac Asimov undoubtedly had a truly very vivid imagination as far as the future of our world and future of the human race was concerned, and he also had this truly valuable gift to completely change and completely transform that vivid imagination into truly brilliant, if not overly spectacular writing without which he would never have enriched the world the way he had enriched it. It truly is amazing and it truly is admirable what this man could do with the power he had within his beautiful mind, and it's even more amazing and even more admirable the way he could write his fictional characters and bring each and every single one of them to life in such a truly mesmerizing way that any avid reader of his novels could truly connect to and connect with each and every single one of them on a very personal level. I believe that's what made him and what still makes him one of the best science-fiction writers of our time, because rare science-fiction writers could see the future of our world and future of the human race the way he could see it. In this truly remarkable addition to his collection and never-ending legacy of all the science-fiction masterpieces he had written, he pretty much showed the world the way he could see the future of time-travel to someday unfold, and he did it in a very brilliant way, the kind of way that shall definitely amaze you as much as it amazed me. So feel free to get yourself one of his masterpieces - doesn't have to be this one - for they are all great, and they shall all leave you pretty much and very much dumbfounded. ( )
  Champ88 | Dec 25, 2019 |
Yet another time travel story. It does sometimes feel like everything's been done before in this sub-genre, and I was disappointed to be reading the same paradoxes again, but perhaps Asimov is one who started it. This reminds me a bit of Blake Crouch's "Recursion," but with a little less action, tighter editing, equally flat but less PC characters, and, in the end, higher stakes. I enjoyed it. The story would have been stronger, though, had the hugely profound, galaxy-spanning moral introduced in the last ten pages been thematically present, or at least foreshadowed, throughout the story. As it is, almost out of nowhere we get Asimov preaching to us. He isn't a bad preacher, but it still feels artificial. ( )
  breic | Nov 28, 2019 |
Assolutamente da leggere, se siete appassionati di viaggi nel tempo.
Un grande Asimov alle prese con i primi romanzi e un bel finale a sorpresa!
Buona lettura ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
Andrew Harlan bothered me with the way he jumped to conclusions and then proceeded to interpret everything based upon those unjustified conclusions. However, I loved the premise and Asimov gives the reader some unexpected twists in the final quarter of the book. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jan 31, 2019 |
The End of Eternity is a love story. Our questions about Andrew’s love are right. In the end as the mists melt — indeed by reflecting on Noÿs — we recognize what he has been and done. His mistakes are worse, and his character better, than we thought. We are left with a man who learns.

Asimov's spare prose is here at its height. It stands in his language, his focus. Hills of detail are at a stroke given to the imagination. Minds and hearts — and this is a novel of the mind and heart — are painted partly by silence, by the author's silence, by what is set before us and what goes unsaid. The reader, the re-reader, who looks, who notes, is rewarded. Theodore Sturgeon used to say "Science fiction is knowledge fiction." That is true not only of physical knowledge.

Asimov, Isaacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foss, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Horace L. Gold
Andrew Harlan stepped into the kettle.
If there was a flaw in Eternity, it involved women.  He had known the flaw for what it was from almost his first entrance in to Eternity, but he felt it personally only that day he had first met Noys.  From that moment it had been an easy path to this one, in which he stood false to his oath as an Eternal and to everything in which he had believed.

For what?

For Noys.

And he was not ashamed.  It was that which really rocked him.  He was not ashamed.  He felt no guilt for the crescendo of crimes he had committed, to which the latest addition of the unethical use of confidential Life-Plotting could only rank as a pecadillo.

He would do worse than his worst if he had to.

For the first time the specific and express thought came to him.  And though he pushed it away in horror, he knew that, having once come, it would return.

The thought was simply this:  That he would ruin Eternity, if he had to.

The worst of it was that he knew he had the power to do it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,390,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible