Doomsday Book (1992)

by Connie Willis

Series: Oxford Time Travel series (1)

7,3503431,037 (4.09)1 / 862
For Kivrin, preparing an on-site study of one of the deadliest eras in humanity's history was as simple as receiving inoculations against the diseases of the fourteenth century and inventing an alibi for a woman traveling alone. For her instructors in the twenty-first century, it meant painstaking calculations and careful monitoring of the rendezvous location where Kivrin would be received. But a crisis strangely linking past and future strands Kivrin in a bygone age as her fellows try desperately to rescue her. In a time of superstition and fear, Kivrin -- barely of age herself -- finds she has become an unlikely angel of hope during one of history's darkest hours.… (more)
Recently added byjoeldinda, natcontrary, dcsch, allanahk, ckt13, private library, jenni1st, DarrinLett, ZiggyF
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (amberwitch, Othemts, Patangel)
    amberwitch: A much lighter story set in the same universe.
    Othemts: To Say Nothing of the Dog is a more light-hearted time travel adventure which is sort of a sequel to Doomsday Book. Both are excellent, enjoyable novels.
    Blackout by Connie Willis (bell7)
    bell7: Some characters return in this story, set in 1944 England, and involving similar themes of how people react in a crisis.
    Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks (labfs39)
    Eifelheim by Michael Flynn (Ape)
    Ape: Far from identical stories, but both are sci-fi takes on the black death (Eifelheim: Aliens, Doomsday Book: Time Travel.) There are numerous similarities, and I think if you like one the other might be worth looking into.
    The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century by Ian Mortimer (Sakerfalcon)
    Sakerfalcon: A non-fiction book about everyday life in C14th England, written as though you the reader are there. Kivrin would have found this essential reading to prepare for her journey into the past.
    The Door into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (Rubbah)
    Rubbah: Both amazing books featuring dangerous flu like viruses and how people cope in emergency situations
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (Kichererbse)
    Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (Anonymous user)
    Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor (Aug3Zimm)
    Aug3Zimm: Time travel to the past as part of educational study
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (sturlington)
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (JGolomb)
    The Annals of Ireland by Friar John Clyn (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: The Annals of Ireland was referenced and quoted a few times in Doomsday Book
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (Othemts)
    The Plague by Albert Camus (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books that depict how communities deal with plagues.
    Company of Liars by Karen Maitland (Othemts)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (labrick)
    The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (JGolomb)
    Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: This is another book that really brings a period of history to life around you.
    World War Z by Max Brooks (cmbohn)

1990s (144)

English (338)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  All languages (342)
Not a hit for me. Boring characters in the modern timeline and pretty obvious danger in past timeline ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | Aug 13, 2022 |
What can I say about this book apart from the fact that it has something in it that most every reader will enjoy, and that this is the book that started my love of this particular Author. I had a copy of this lent to me whilst I was laid up with pneumonia, and a friend asked me if I had ever read anything written by the Author; little did they know then that by introducing me to them they would be creating a monster.

There are many characters in this novel, both futuristic and from the past, and the main protagonist is a gripping female student who time travels back to the 1300’s. The way in which this character copes with a time so at odds to her own, with so many restrictions when it comes to women is what makes her a person I immediately could connect with. Throw into the mix the issue of the Black Death and this makes her even more compelling. Throughout the novel the reader can follow her progress as she comes to terms with the times she now finds herself in and can root for her every step of the way. Her determination and courage shines through as the times degenerate into one of sickness and death. The Author is equally generous when introducing their other characters in this book, although there were a few that I thought were rather superfluous to the plot itself; there is the concerned and overworked professor who I felt was the very picture of the stereotypical academic, and also the ‘mother hen’ type character who fussed over everyone and anyone. I didn’t find any of the characters unlikeable, and this rather surprised me as there is usually one that I would like to meet a miserable demise.

When it comes to location descriptions and really setting the mood for the 1300’s it is apparent that the Author did a great deal of research into the time period, and the effects the Black Death had on families and attitudes of that time. Unfortunately the editing was not as tight as I would have expected in a novel as gripping and fast paced as this one, and this is the reason for the four thumbs rating. Overall though this is a well written and entertaining book, that keeps the reader turning the pages to the very end.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone that loves a great story and/or is interested in historical fiction, sci-fi and fantasy.

Originally reviewed on: http://catesbooknuthut.com/2014/09/03/review-doomsday-book-oxford-time-travel-1-...

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
  Melline | Aug 13, 2022 |
Damn. ( )
  mvolz | Jul 10, 2022 |
2022 Book #29. 1992. A young historian is sent into the past to learn about pre-plague Oxford. Unfortunately something goes wrong and she ends up in the plague. Interesting time travel story with enough British witticism to make it very enjoyable. ( )
  capewood | May 13, 2022 |
This is my all time favorite time travel story. Connie Willis was a master writer, far under recognized, in my opinion.

Set in contemporary Oxford, England, an academic program is testing targeted time travel for archeological purposes.

It's been a while since I've read the book but many images and feelings remain with me. The contrast between a modern day Oxford Christmas and a medieval country chapel are staggering.

Willis's ability to invest you in her characters is uncanny. I remember finishing the book and practically having to find a barometric chamber in which to decompress.

Doomsday Book is a tour de force in historical science fiction, full of life, tragedy and humor. Do not assume this book is too old to read, you will miss a masterpiece. ( )
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |

Törnqvist, EvastinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Son, TomTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vanderstelt, JerryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, Jamie S. WarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"And lest things which should be remembered perish with time and vanish from the memory of those who are to come after us, I, seeing so many evils and the whole world, as it were, placed within the grasp of the Evil One, being myself as if among the dead, I, waiting for death, have put into writing all the things that I have witnessed.
    And, lest the writing should perish with the writer and the work fail with the laborer, I leave parchment to continue this work, if perchance any man and any of the race of Adam escape this pestilence and carry on the work which I have begun . . . " Brother John Clyn, 1349
To Laura and Cordelia - my Kivrins
Mr. Dunworthy opened the door to the laboratory and his spectacles promptly steamed up.
I'm in a lot of trouble, Mr. Dunworthy. I don't know where I am, and I can't speak the language. Something's gone wrong with the interpreter. I can understand some of what the contemps say, but they can't understand me at all. And that's not the worst of it. I've caught some sort of disease. I don't know what it is.

Primary sources
Researched by time-travelling
Brave historians
(pickupsticks)
A time traveler’s screwed
because she never just asks,
“Hey, what year is it?”
(Carnophile)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,072,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible