The Plague (1947)

by Albert Camus

Series: Cycle de la révolte

15,621199252 (3.95)2 / 527
Chaos prevails when the bubonic plague strikes the Algerian coastal city of Oran. A haunting tale of human resilience in the face of unrelieved horror, Camus' novel about a bubonic plague ravaging the people of a North African coastal town is a classic of twentieth-century literature.

English (162)  Italian (9)  Dutch (7)  Spanish (6)  French (3)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  German (2)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (198)
In the small coastal city of Oran, Algeria, rats begin rising up from the filth, only to die as bloody heaps in the streets. Shortly after, an outbreak of the bubonic plague erupts and envelops the human population.

Albert Camus' The Plague is a brilliant and haunting rendering of human perseverance and futility in the face of a relentless terror born of nature.
  Gmomaj | Feb 28, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
might seem strange to come out swinging with "the plague is a fairytale" but i'm sticking with it. i wrote down so many quotes while i was reading and i won't replicate them all here but the real thing this book made me feel is that humanity is all we have, and there is so much GOOD in the world, and it is our responsibility to do all that we can for each other's safety and happiness and - life. life itself. that it's harder to be human than to be a saint but that we must try. that there can be happy endings amongst all the hardships, though the hardships will never cease. this book means a lot to me. i finished it in a state of shock, and understanding; like for a moment camus had offered me a window into his complete understanding of absurdism and allowed me to experience that, to feel it.

of course, it barely even needs saying that this book is particular resonant In These Unprecedented Times, but the more i read, the more it became clear that the plague is not only about the plague. this is a book for all seasons. for everything. harrowing and life-affirming all at once. maybe a bit of a heavy read right now - but like, i did this to myself, and i came out the other end feeling stronger. so take that as you will. ( )
  i. | Jan 8, 2021 |
Plague, death, quarantine - fitting to read in Corona-times. Looks at how people react in those extreme circumstances. ( )
1 vote Henrik_Warne | Dec 13, 2020 |
"It comes to this," Tarrou said almost casually; "what interests me is learning how to become a saint."

"But you don’t believe in God!"

"Exactly! Can one be a saint without God?—that’s the problem, in fact the only problem, I’m up against today."

The Plague is one of those essential books that I didn't read when I was younger and is part of a literary bucket-list. It's also one of those books that I puzzled over as I read it. I didn't find the book depressing at all - In fact, I found it quite hopeful and bucolic. I took away love, friendship, civic duty and hope. As I read the reviews of others, I realized that other people saw despair, hopelessness and crisis. I'm still confused by it.

Camus was an atheist and an absurdist. Since I am also both of these things, I have to believe that I read it correctly.
  authenticjoy | Nov 15, 2020 |

Camus, AlbertAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corsari, WillyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dal Fabbro, BeniaminoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, StuartTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jenner, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mannerkorpi, JuhaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mannerkorpi, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'It is as reasonable to represent one kind of imprisonment by another, as it is to represent anything that really exists by that which exists not! -' ('Robinson Crusoe's preface' to the third volume of Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe).
The unusual events described in this chronicle occurred in 194- at Oran.
Les curieux événements qui font le sujet de cette chronique se sont produits en 194., à Oran.
Le matin du 16 avril, le docteur Bernard Rieux sortit de son cabinet et buta sur un rat mort, au milieu du palier
"Oran, however, seems to be a town without intimations; in other words, completely modern."
The distinction can be made between men and, for example, dogs; men’s deaths are checked and entered up.
"They fancied themselves free, and no one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."
"In normal times all of us know, whether consciously or not, that there is no love which can't be bettered; nevertheless we reconcile ourselves more or less easily to the fact that ours has never risen above the average."
"You'd almost think they expected to be given medals for it. But what does that mean—'plague'? Just life, no more than that."

Orano è colpita da un'epidemia inesorabile e tremenda. Isolata con un cordone sanitario dal resto del mondo, affamata, incapace di fermare la pestilenza, la città diventa il palcoscenico e il vetrino da esperimento per le passioni di un'umanità al limite tra disgregazione e solidarietà. La fede religiosa, l'edonismo di chi non crede alle astrazioni, ma neppure è capace di "essere felice da solo", il semplice sentimento del proprio dovere sono i protagonisti della vicenda; l'indifferenza, il panico, lo spirito burocratico e l'egoismo gretto gli alleati del morbo. Scritto da Camus secondo una dimensione corale e con una scrittura che sfiora e supera la confessione, "La peste" è un romanzo attuale e vivo, una metafora in cui il presente continua a riconoscersi.
(piopas)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185139, 0141045515, 0141049235

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,744,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible