The Plague (1947)

by Albert Camus

16,470220253 (3.95)2 / 558
Chaos prevails when the bubonic plague strikes the Algerian coastal city of Oran. A haunting tale of human resilience in the face of unrelieved horror, Camus' novel about a bubonic plague ravaging the people of a North African coastal town is a classic of twentieth-century literature.
1940s (23)
To Read (142)
My TBR (5)

English (179)  Italian (9)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (7)  Catalan (4)  French (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (2)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (219)
Wonderfull book, to read and re-read again.
The philosophical part where nearly perfectly blend with the novel. The style and narration are fluent.
And at the end of the book, you will ask yourself some questions about your life.
  Pxan02 | May 14, 2022 |
Camus really nailed the experience of an epidemic.
  Kate.Koeze | Apr 15, 2022 |
Why do I remember every bk that I've read by Camus & Sartre as being not that interesting? I was a teenager when I read many of them, those being "formative yrs" one might expect that I'd remember them w/ excitement. But, no. Maybe it's the translations. ( )
  tENTATIVELY | Apr 3, 2022 |
In high school, I was enamored with the writings of Albert Camus. Twenty-five years later, I reread "The Stranger" and "The Plague" and enjoyed them considerably less.

In "The Plague," a sickness descends on a French colony in North Africa. It begins with rats falling dead in the streets and eventually spreads to humans. We see doctors and bureaucrats dallying about at the beginning and then trying to figure out what was happening.

What irks me the most about "The Plague" is the colonial attitude. The Algerians mentioned in the book are simply shadows in the background. This was the world of Camus: the French dominated everything. I have read that Camus himself did not have colonialist sentiments, but his writing is absent of any Arab characters or notions, even though the Algerians were already fighting for freedom by the time the book was published - and soon they would be fighting one of the most brutal wars of decolonization.

Camus ignores all this. Some apologists might say the book is an example of his philosophy and therefore he does not need to confront such issues. Others might say the book was written at a time when Europeans cared little for the feelings of the people in their colonies and therefore Camus would have no understanding of them.

Nevertheless, the book is very colonial and outdated. ( )
  mvblair | Mar 22, 2022 |
A snooze

I've seen the real thing, it was better. ( )
  wideblacksky | Mar 19, 2022 |

Is contained in

Contains

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

'It is as reasonable to represent one kind of imprisonment by another, as it is to represent anything that really exists by that which exists not! -' ('Robinson Crusoe's preface' to the third volume of Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe).
The unusual events described in this chronicle occurred in 194- at Oran.
Les curieux événements qui font le sujet de cette chronique se sont produits en 194., à Oran.
Le matin du 16 avril, le docteur Bernard Rieux sortit de son cabinet et buta sur un rat mort, au milieu du palier
"Oran, however, seems to be a town without intimations; in other words, completely modern."
The distinction can be made between men and, for example, dogs; men’s deaths are checked and entered up.
"They fancied themselves free, and no one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."
"In normal times all of us know, whether consciously or not, that there is no love which can't be bettered; nevertheless we reconcile ourselves more or less easily to the fact that ours has never risen above the average."
"You'd almost think they expected to be given medals for it. But what does that mean—'plague'? Just life, no more than that."

Orano è colpita da un'epidemia inesorabile e tremenda. Isolata con un cordone sanitario dal resto del mondo, affamata, incapace di fermare la pestilenza, la città diventa il palcoscenico e il vetrino da esperimento per le passioni di un'umanità al limite tra disgregazione e solidarietà. La fede religiosa, l'edonismo di chi non crede alle astrazioni, ma neppure è capace di "essere felice da solo", il semplice sentimento del proprio dovere sono i protagonisti della vicenda; l'indifferenza, il panico, lo spirito burocratico e l'egoismo gretto gli alleati del morbo. Scritto da Camus secondo una dimensione corale e con una scrittura che sfiora e supera la confessione, "La peste" è un romanzo attuale e vivo, una metafora in cui il presente continua a riconoscersi.
(piopas)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185139, 0141045515, 0141049235

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,006,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible