Stranger in a Strange Land (Uncut Edition) (1991)

by Robert A. Heinlein

The epic saga of an earthling, born and educated on Mars, who arrives on our planet with superhuman powers and a total ignorance of the mores of man.
    The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (leahsimone)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (meggyweg)
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (StarryNightElf)
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values by Robert M. Pirsig (emf1123)
    emf1123: If you're in your late teens, reading both of these books back to back (stranger in a strange land, zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance) is a good quality mindfuck. I doubt that either have the same influence as one ages, though.
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (StarryNightElf)
    The Necessary Beggar by Susan Palwick (MyriadBooks)
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (StarryNightElf)

English (142)  Bulgarian (1)  All languages (143)
I really 'groked' this book when I read it in my late teens. Today looking back on it I am not quite so enthralled, especially with Heinlein's socio-political views. It probably deserves a 3 but I do remember it fondly so have given it a 4. ( )
  Aetherson | Apr 26, 2021 |
Date approximate ( )
  fmc712 | Feb 18, 2021 |
I liked it until about halfway through, then forced myself to continue on to the end, which I didn't like at all. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
Bizarre. I enjoyed it. I dislike what I perceive to be Heinlein's sexism but then again this book was written in a different day and age. It is my husband's favorite book. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
Oh dear! A classic that is starting to show its age...I have heard about this book since I was a kid. (SF Classic.. blah, blah, 60's counter culture classic along with Lord of the Rings, blah, blah...) The book has sections with great writing BUT.... in the year 2012 it reads like a BAD SF pulp novel. The human male characters have a '50's feel in their dialogue, their actions, etc. Ditto with the women. Valentine Michael Smith, the man from Mars, is fleshed out, probably one of Heinlein's more interesting characters. But the machine gun dialogue, the 1950's Playboy-Women-as-Sex-Objects, and the odd mish-mash thinking about Religion turns this one time classic into a sleeping pill. ( )
  Steve_Walker | Sep 13, 2020 |

FOR
ROBERT CORNOG
FREDRIC BROWN
PHILLIP JOSE FARMER
Once upon a time when the world was young there was a Martian named Smith.
Please distinguish this "original, uncut" version of Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land (1991) from its edited first publication (1961). This would be ISBN #s 0-399-13586-3, 0-450-54267-X and 0-441-78838-6 and Science Fiction Book Club editions of 1991 (#17697 and a leather bound edition). There is a 60,000 word difference between the two. Thank you.

Raised by Martians on Mars, Valentine Michael Smith is a human who has never seen another member of his species. Sent to Earth, he is a stranger who must learn what it is to be a man. But his own beliefs and his powers far exceed the limits of humankind, and as he teaches them about grokking and water-sharing, he also inspires a transformation that will alter Earth’s inhabitants forever...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,989,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible