The October Country by Ray Bradbury

The October Country (1955)

by Ray Bradbury

English (36)  Danish (2)  All languages (38)
Into it. It's like short stories but actually Twilight Zone episodes. Well written, and within sentences puts me exactly in the time and place of the story. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
This was a very good choice to read this month!
I had picked it up to read "Small Assassin" & "The Emissary", both of which were enjoyable reads, but I got so much more! "The Next in Line" may quite possibly be my new favorite short story! It is so good, full of nervous energy, vivid descriptions, mummies, and spooky goings on, all set in Mexico, around Dia de los Muertos! Yikes!
There are a few stinkers in here, but for the most part, I was quite entertained - vampires, the grim reaper, and an aunt who doesn't want to give up her body! And what was in that jar? I shudder to think of it... ( )
1 vote Stahl-Ricco | Oct 7, 2018 |
The October Country showcases a side of Bradbury that is rarely seen. Well known for his science fiction writing, it's long been forgotten that Bradbury largely got his start as a horror writer. The October Country is the only collection of his that showcases this early work, and this rather poignant side of his psyche.

The Family stories are here, both "Uncle Einar" and "Homecoming," which can now be recognized as chapters in From the Dust Returned. "The Dwarf" is another story of his that I believe is collected elsewhere. Some of the stories in here are as striking as Stephen King's work, notably "The Lake," "The Skeleton," and "The Jar." While some of the stories may come off as a bit dated - "Next in Line," and "Touched By Fire" come to mind most quickly for that - for a 19 story collection, a surprising amount of the stories remain rather solid.

If one is a fan of Bradbury, then one should know what to expect. The prose can be a bit purple, the language a tad bit dated, but the ideas are for the most part incredibly solid. I wouldn't say that this is the best Bradbury collection, but it is a rather interesting one for fans of the author. I would say that for fans of the horror genre, this book is an interesting look into the writing of that time period, as well as a fun romp through someone writing in a genre that they normally don't tend towards. ( )
1 vote Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
most stories vg a nice surprise ( )
  mahallett | May 27, 2018 |
To say that I loved this book is an understatement. Here is a book I will covet and revisit each Autumn. I will need to cleanse my brain of all toxic books and reward myself. I am looking forward to revisiting this spooky collection every end of summer like a tradition.

Bradbury dropped so many gems here it is incredible. Even something so simple is written so eloquent and profound, like he writes with the feather of an angel while the devil looks over his shoulder. He dug deep into the morbid terrains with these stories, his horror downright shocked me, as I still see this adorable old man penning Dandelion Wine. This is nothing of the sort!

See below for example of deeply vivid imagery that resonated with my psych:
“In the hall, on her way downstairs, Mother dropped a champagne bottle. Edwin heard and was cold, for the thought that jumped through his head was, That’s how mother’d sound. If she fell, if she broke, you’d find a million fragments in the morning. Bright crystal and clear wine on the parquet flooring, that’s all you’d see at dawn."

and another : for good measure!

“He raged for hours. And the skeleton, ever the frail and solemn philosopher, hung quietly inside, saying not a word, suspended like a delicate insect within a chrysalis, waiting and waiting.”

How about one paragraph that can draw you into another dimension completely? See below!

“Four children were born, three boys and a girl, who, for their energy, seemed to have wings. They popped up like toadstools in a few years, and on hot summer days asked their father to sit under the apple tree and fan them with his cooling wings and tell them wild starlit tales of island clouds and ocean skies and textures of mist and wind and how a star tastes melting in your mouth, and how to drink cold mountain air, and how it feels to be a pebble dropped from Mt. Everest, turning to a green bloom, flowering your wings just before you strike bottom!”

The imagery that short paragraph stirs up inside my mind is… well it has left me speechless! Ray Bradbury was a magician, a wizard of words. He held secret dimensions in his brain, galaxies far beyond our reach.
I miss him, and I always will. No one holds a light to his words. He will always be, by far, my favorite author! No one comes close to ever replacing him.
Farewell for now. ( )

O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pepper, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woolley, JanetCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For who else but August Derleth
OCTOBER COUNTRY ... that country where it is always turning late in the year.

Contents:

· There Was an Old Woman · ss Weird Tales Jul ’44

· The Cistern · ss Mademoiselle May ’47

· Homecoming · ss Mademoiselle Oct ’46

· The Wonderful Death of Dudley Stone · ss Charm Jul ’54

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380973871, Hardcover)

Ray Bradbury's first short story collection is back in print, its chilling encounters with funhouse mirrors, parasitic accident-watchers, and strange poker chips intact. Both sides of Bradbury's vaunted childhood nostalgia are also on display, in the celebratory "Uncle Einar," and haunting "The Lake," the latter a fine elegy to childhood loss. This edition features a new introduction by Bradbury, an invaluable essay on writing, wherein the author tells of his "Theater of Morning Voices," and, by inference, encourages you to listen to the same murmurings in yourself. And has any writer anywhere ever made such good use of exclamation marks!?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

Haunting, harrowing, and downright horrifying, this classic collection from the modern master of the fantastic features: THE SMALL ASSASSIN: a fine, healthy baby boy was the new mother's dream come true -- or her nightmare ... THE EMISSARY: the faithful dog was the sick boy's only connectioin with the world outside -- and beyond ... THE WONDERFUL DEATH OF DUDLEY STONE: a most remarkable case of murder -- the deceased was delighted! And more!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,299,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible