The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

The Martian Chronicles (1950)

by Ray Bradbury

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (jpers36, moietmoi)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (bertilak)
    bertilak: Bradbury has said that Winesburg, Ohio was one of the inspirations for The Martian Chronicles (grotesque characters in Ohio versus on Mars).
    Kaleidoscope by Ray Bradbury (rionka)
    rionka: a lot of pictures from the same world. or from the world we have in our heads.
    Girl in Landscape by Jonathan Lethem (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Visions of humans colonizing planets with declining civilizations
    Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (lewbs)
    lewbs: Borges admired The Martian Chronicles. The two books have much in common.
    The Rolling Stones by Robert A. Heinlein (fulner)
    fulner: A trip from Luna to Mars then off to the Asteroid Belt to mine. The Sapce Family Stone has fantastic story telling. Emotial respnose. REAL MATH! and a story that keeps you truning pages. Highly recommended.
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (mike_frank)
    mike_frank: Similar story telling, short stories tying together a grander story arch.
    Desolation Road by Ian McDonald (Sethgsamuel)
    Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (andomck)
    andomck: Both books are about colonization. One is from the perspective of colonizer, the other the colonized.
1950s (34)
Read (105)
Elevenses (277)

English (213)  Spanish (8)  Danish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Romanian (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (235)
I give this five stars in my first encounter in my teens. Now that I've read a dozen or more books from this idiosyncratic, American, wild science fiction and mystery and Hollywood nostalgia author, I dig other books better. But, boy ... Boy. ( )
  Wattsian | Jun 1, 2019 |
This book is perfect. Not even kidding.

Ray Bradbury's greatest writing strength lies in his short stories; no offense to Fahrenheit 451, but he is a master of the short form and that's where his best work lies. The Martian Chronicles is great because it combines the book and short story form ingeniously. It's essentially a series of short stories and vignettes that chronicle the history of mankind's contact with Mars, from the take-off of the first rocket to the arrival of the final one. Some stories are touching. Others terrifying. All are moving an gorgeous. Several are quite funny. It's just so good. I can't recommend this book enough.

Most everyone has read Bradbury's short story And There Will Come Soft Rains. It's arguably his most famous story and it appears in literature textbooks everywhere. Personally, I prefer All Summer in a Day, but it's still a great story. Turns out everyone is reading it out of context. The story packs a much bigger punch when read in the context of The Martian Chronicles. And yes, I still prefer All Summer in a Day, but The Martian Chronicles is stunning and breaks my heart in all the best ways, in the ways good books always do.

Ray Bradbury wrote most of these stories between 1948 and 1950, and over sixty years later, they still ring true. Sure, the science is total bogus. Mars does not have water or air, and while there may be martian bacteria discovered someday, they aren't humanoid, telepathic, and possessing golden eyes. But people are still people, and that's what really makes Bradbury's writing click. He gets to the heart of people, and makes something beautiful from what he's found. Humanity is universal. Part of Bradbury's point in writing science fiction is to explore exactly what makes us human in the most inhuman of environments. We're still human on Mars or Venus, and we're still human in 1950 and 2015.

This book is gorgeous. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
My father gave it to me. I loved every word. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Ah, I should have read it when I was a kid. This is a collection of stories wrapped around the arrival of man on Mars. This is a classic! ( )
  addunn3 | Apr 30, 2019 |
I entered into The Martian Chronicles warily, as I hadn't enjoyed Fahrenheit 451, and here I was again, reading Bradbury. To my utmost surprise, I loved this book.

The Martian Chronicles is novel-esque, because the linked short stories, some of them only a page long, joined together to weave a tale of the history of human exploration of and settlement on Mars.

It's a saddening story. Having damaged our earth beyond the hope of repair thanks to constant warfare and atomic disasters, mankind heads for the heavens on rockets launched from the interstellar exploration labs in Ohio. Astronauts and soldiers are the first to arrive, then construction engineers, who build earth-like towns all over the face of this planet. Disaster after disaster takes place. The human race is soon in decline, as the towns on Mars shrivel first to shanty towns and then to small assortments of derelict buildings, without infrastructure.

I believe that Bradbury, all the way back in the 1940s, when some of these stories were first printed in magazines, was an environmentalist and anti-nuclear energy proponent long before these positions became fashionable. The Martian Chronicles warn of the dangers of atomic energy, of using land unwisely, and of the ruinous tendencies of mankind to spoil the dwelling places we have, whether on Earth or on other planets.

Summary: a great book ahead of its time, a visionary novel. I find it especially interesting that less than a year ago, we had our first look at Earth from the surface of Mars - and who knows what's next for our relationship with the red planet in the sky. ( )
  ahef1963 | Apr 10, 2019 |

Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

"It is good to renew one's wonder," said the philosopher. "Space travel has again made children of us all."
For My Wife Marguerite
with all my love
One minute it was Ohio winter, with doors closed, windows locked, the panes blind with frost, icicles fringing every roof, children skiing on slopes, housewives lumbering like great black bears in their furs along the icy streets.
"No matter how we touch Mars, we'll never touch it. And then we'll get mad at it, and you know what we'll do? We'll rip it up, rip the skin off, and change it to fit ourselves."
They blended religion and art and science because, at base, science is no more than an investigation of a miracle we can never explain, and art is an interpretation of that miracle.
They began by controlling books of cartoons and then detective books and, of course, films, one way or another, one group or another, political bias, religious prejudice, union pressures; there was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves.
US title: The Martian Chronicles

UK title: The Silver Locusts

(according to Worldcat.org)
PLEASE DO NOT COMBINE with Martian Chronicles or Lions of Fashion!!
the Danish language edition of The Lions of Fashion has been combined with The Martian Chronicles .

Thank you!

Contents: Rocket Summer | Ylla | The Summer Night | The Earth Men | The Taxpayer | The Third Expedition | And the Moon Be Still As Bright | The Settlers | The Green Morning | The Locusts | Night Meeting | The Shore | Interim | The Musicians | Way in the Middle of the Air | The Naming of Names | Usher II | The Old Ones | The Martian | The Luggage Store | The Off Season | The Watchers | The Silent Towns | The Long Years | There Will Come Soft Rains | The Million Year Picnic

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553278223, Mass Market Paperback)

From "Rocket Summer" to "The Million-Year Picnic," Ray Bradbury's stories of the colonization of Mars form an eerie mesh of past and future. Written in the 1940s, the chronicles drip with nostalgic atmosphere--shady porches with tinkling pitchers of lemonade, grandfather clocks, chintz-covered sofas. But longing for this comfortable past proves dangerous in every way to Bradbury's characters--the golden-eyed Martians as well as the humans. Starting in the far-flung future of 1999, expedition after expedition leaves Earth to investigate Mars. The Martians guard their mysteries well, but they are decimated by the diseases that arrive with the rockets. Colonists appear, most with ideas no more lofty than starting a hot-dog stand, and with no respect for the culture they've displaced.

Bradbury's quiet exploration of a future that looks so much like the past is sprinkled with lighter material. In "The Silent Towns," the last man on Mars hears the phone ring and ends up on a comical blind date. But in most of these stories, Bradbury holds up a mirror to humanity that reflects a shameful treatment of "the other," yielding, time after time, a harvest of loneliness and isolation. Yet the collection ends with hope for renewal, as a colonist family turns away from the demise of the Earth towards a new future on Mars. Bradbury is a master fantasist and The Martian Chronicles are an unforgettable work of art. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

The tranquility of Mars is disrupted by the earthmen who have come to conquer space, colonize the planet, and escape a doomed earth.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,659,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible