Winesburg, Ohio (1919)

by Sherwood Anderson

Series: Winesburg, Ohio (1)

In a deeply moving collection of interrelated stories, this 1919 American classic illuminates the loneliness and frustrations -- spiritual, emotional and artistic -- of life in a small town.
    The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (chrisharpe)
    My Ántonia by Willa Cather (chrisharpe)
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (bertilak)
    bertilak: Bradbury has said that Winesburg, Ohio was one of the inspirations for The Martian Chronicles (grotesque characters in Ohio versus on Mars).
    Main Street by Sinclair Lewis (kxlly)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: The style of writing and realism in the portrayal of the characters is very similar.
    Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters (kxlly)
    The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather (kxlly)
    Fidelity: Five Stories by Wendell Berry (MissWoodhouse1816)
    Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro (Jozefus)
    Jozefus: Anderson en Munro zijn vaker met elkaar vergeleken. Beide boeken bestaan uit losse verhalen over een protagonist(e) die opgroeit in een fictief provinciestadje. En in beide gevallen vertoont dat stadje een opvallende gelijkenis met de plaats waar de auteur zelf is opgegroeid.… (more)
    Marriages Are Made In India by Lakshmi Raj Sharma (Publerati)
    Publerati: Like Winesburg Ohio, this story collection hangs together in mood and theme in an appealing way.
    A View of the Harbour by Elizabeth Taylor (AnnaKatharina)
    The Man Without a Face by Isabelle Holland (TheLittlePhrase)

English (99)  Catalan (5)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  German (1)  All languages (110)
Why this book? Sounds like it is right up my alley.
  Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |
Winesburg, Ohio (Bantam Classic) by Sherwood Anderson (1995)
  arosoff | Jul 10, 2021 |
[From Great Modern Reading, ed. W. Somerset Maugham, Doubleday, 1943, p. 463:]

I do not much like the story by Sherwood Anderson* that I have put here, but I have not been able to find one that I liked better. The fact is that he did not write very good stories, for he had no very good stories to tell; he wrote sketches rather, and it was the cumulative effect of them that was striking and valuable. In Poor White he said: “The town was really the hero of the book... What happened to the town was, I thought, more important than what happened to the people of the town.” I think that explains why, when you have read Winesburg, Ohio you have no vivid recollection of any of the stories in it, but a very definite impression of the community. None of the people stands out clearly, but you have a sort of generalized sense of their confusion and bewilderment. Sherwood Anderson had a marked influence on the American short story, and for that reason I felt he should not be left out.

________________________________________________________
* “I’m a Fool”, first published in The Dial (February 1922), collected in Horses and Men (1923). Ed.
2 vote WSMaugham | Jun 20, 2021 |
Similar in form to The Human Comedy but I loved Sayoran (enough to read everything I could find by him) and didn't like this very much. That probably says more about me than Sherwood Anderson and I would take my opinion as a matter of taste. I am not a fan of Hardy, who is equally gloomy. ( )
  ChrisMcCaffrey | Apr 6, 2021 |
As a steadfast lover of Death in the Woods and Other Stories, I was sorely disappointed with this. No doubt Anderson's talent for bringing the reader to the moment of epiphany with a character is present. Furthermore, his ability to evoke emotion with seemingly simple descriptions of the physical is also manifest, and the book will most certainly arch the eyebrows of those who think that we were oh-so-much more pure and civilized in the ever-golden past. However, despite all those redeeming characteristics, the work as a whole simply does not gel. The individual stories, more often than not, only make sense within the context of each other, so they fail to satisfy as complete tales. Yet they also lack the necessary cohesion to form a novel. So while the portrait of a town is indeed painted, it is not made of interest.

Those who have only read this Sherwood Anderson title might consider giving Death in the Woods a try. I find it to be a vastly superior work. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Jan 22, 2021 |
In the autumn of 1915, while living in a bohemian boardinghouse on Chicago’s Near North Side, Sherwood Anderson began work on a collection of tales describing the tortured lives of the inhabitants of Winesburg, a fictional Ohio town, in the 1890s. Drawing on his own experience growing up in the agricultural hamlet of Clyde, Ohio, he breathed life into a band of neurotic castaways adrift on the flatlands of the Midwest, each of them in their own way struggling — and failing — to locate meaning, personal connection and love amid the town’s elm-shaded streets.

Barely a day has passed in more than 20 years during which my thoughts haven’t turned, however fleetingly, to Anderson, “the minor author of a minor masterpiece,” as he once described himself. Winesburg has become my life’s great literary obsession, though for reasons that remain obscure even to me.
added by rybie2 | editNEH website, Bruce Falconer (Oct 8, 2017)

Het boek kent enkele zich nogal herhalende thema’s en lijdt wat onder de afwezigheid van de psychologische inzichten die de er opvolgende decennia gemeengoed zouden worden. Toch heeft deze terechte heruitgave meer dan louter literair historische waarde. Het toont een Amerika op de historische grens van een agrarische naar een industriële samenleving, en het toont de onmacht, de hopeloos lijkende ontsnappingsstrategieën, de dieptrieste psychologische problematiek van het voetvolk dat nooit erkenning zou krijgen in het Amerikaanse succesverhaal. Sherwood Anderson zal dit nooit als oogmerk hebben gehad, omdat hij het lot van zijn personages als universeel zag en dat met veel mededogen noteerde.
added by Jozefus | editNRC Handelsblad, Jan Donkers (pay site) (May 26, 2011)

Anderson, Sherwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cowley, MalcolmIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howe, IrvingIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koontz, DeanAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, Ben F.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trevisani, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother, Emma Smith Anderson, whose keen observations on the life about her first awoke in me the hunger to see beneath the surface of lives, this book is dedicated.
(Introduction) Rereading Sherwood Anderson after many years, one feels again that his work is desperately uneven, but one is gratified to find that the best of it is as new and springlike as ever.
The writer, an old man with a white mustache, had some difficulty in getting into bed. The windows of the house in which he lived were high and he wanted to look at the trees when he awoke in the morning. A carpenter came to fix the bed so that it would be on a level with the window.

Short stories with common setting and several common characters, and a rough chronological order. Life in small town Ohio in the late nineteenth century.

Includes: "Hands"

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,616,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible