Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro

Lives of Girls and Women (1971)

by Alice Munro

Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (Jozefus)
    Jozefus: De vergelijking is vaker gemaakt. Beide boeken bestaan uit losse verhalen over een protagonist(e) die opgroeit in een fictief provinciestadje. En in beide gevallen vertoont dat stadje een opvallende gelijkenis met de plaats waar de auteur zelf is opgegroeid.
    Tide Road by Valerie Compton (Anonymous user)
    A Mixture of Frailties by Robertson Davies (betterthanchocolate)
    betterthanchocolate: The young artist, educated. The provincial confines of small town Ontario, negotiated. And great prose.

English (25)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (28)
Beautiful and quiet are the perfect descriptions of this work. There isn't really a through line on the story, just a meandering exploration of what it feels like for this adolescent girl to be on the brink of adulthood. My upbringing was quite different from the life described here, and yet there was so much about it that felt just the same. At times this was painful to read, but only because it was painfully true. Highly recommended. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jan 29, 2019 |
Lives of Girls and Women is a really quiet, beautifully written, very quotable book. Some of my favorites highlighted as I went along are above. I love Munro’s subtlety in presenting Del’s coming of age in a small town. All of the other people in her life, especially the women, and richly drawn and complex.

Another 1001books success.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2 ( )
  sprainedbrain | Apr 2, 2018 |
There's something magical about how Alice Munro depicts transition and this sense of being on the cusp of something. This is a compelling exploration of what womanhood means to the main character, and I'd be lying if I didn't say that so much of the book hit home. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Dec 13, 2017 |

I've become a huge fan of Alice Munro's short fiction over the last few years, and so I approached this, marketed as her only novel, with anticipation but also trepidation; would she be able to bring her particular genius to the longer form?

In fact, it turns out to be more of a sequence of linked short stories in the life of the same character than a novel per se - a format Munro also uses in The Beggar Maid - so we are on safe territory. Not that Munro's writing is safe; her protagonist, Del Jordan, a gifted, geeky girl from a rural Ontario background, who knows she is looking for something more than is on offer in her home town but struggles against the oppression of conformity, is presumably autobiographical in large part. Having said that, almost all of the characters are drawn with sympathy and understanding, despite the gentle shades of alienation that suffuse Munro's writing. I think that her short fiction tends to deliver more bang per wordcount, but this is still a good read. ( )
  nwhyte | Nov 4, 2017 |
Del is a young girl growing up in small town Ontario. This follows her from a girl through high school. It’s set around WWII and a bit after.

There really wasn’t much to this book. I’ve been wanting to try Alice Munro for a while, but am not a fan of short stories, so that pretty much left me with this book. It was ok, but really nothing happened, so for anyone looking for some kind of plot, this won’t provide it. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 21, 2017 |
Geweldige dialogen, psychologische finesse, intensiteit, filosofische diepgang: het zijn de superieure ingrediënten van deze bijzondere collectie.
added by Jozefus | editDe Standaard, Kathy Mathys (Jul 11, 2014)

A very likable book -- a very real book -- virtues not to be underestimated or overlooked.
added by Nickelini | editKirkus Reviews (Jan 1, 1972)

for Jim
We spent days along the Wawanash River, helping Uncle Benny fish.

The only novel from Alice Munro-award-winning author of The Love of a Good Woman--is an insightful, honest book, "autobiographical in form but not in fact," that chronicles a young girl's growing up in rural Ontario in the 1940's.

Del Jordan lives out at the end of the Flats Road on her father's fox farm, where her most frequent companions are an eccentric bachelor family friend and her rough younger brother. When she begins spending more time in town, she is surrounded by women-her mother, an agnostic, opinionted woman who sells encyclopedias to local farmers; her mother's boarder, the lusty Fern Dogherty; and her best friend, Naomi, with whom she shares the frustrations and unbridled glee of adolescence.

Through these unwitting mentors and in her own encounters with sex, birth, and death, Del explores the dark and bright sides of womanhood. All along she remains a wise, witty observer and recorder of truths in small-town life. The result is a powerful, moving, and humorous demonstration of Alice Munro's unparalleled awareness of the lives of girls and women.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:19 -0400)

A portrayal of a young girl's youth in a Canadian town and her awakening to womanhood in the 1940s follows Del Jordan as she explores the dark and bright sides of womanhood and records the frustrations, joys, triumphs, and trials of small-town life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,196,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible