Fictions (1944)

by Jorge Luis Borges

6,301951,176 (4.38)223
The seventeen pieces in Ficciones demonstrate the gargantuan powers of imagination, intelligence, and style of one of the greatest writers of this or any other century. Borges sends us on a journey into a compelling, bizarre, and profoundly resonant realm; we enter the fearful sphere of Pascal's abyss, the surreal and literal labyrinth of books, and the iconography of eternal return. More playful and approachable than the fictions themselves are Borges's Prologues, brief elucidations that offer the uninitiated a passageway into the whirlwind of Borges's genius and mirror the precision and potency of his intellect and inventiveness, his piercing irony, his skepticism, and his obsession with fantasy. To enter the worlds in Ficciones is to enter the mind of Jorge Luis Borges, wherein lies Heaven, Hell, and everything in between.… (more)
    Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (Carnophile)
    Carnophile: While Ficciones is a subset of Collected Fictions, it is nice to have two translations of the same material. Each translator captures nuances the other misses.
    The Aleph and Other Stories by Jorge Luis Borges (VanishedOne)
    Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino (Carnophile)
    Carnophile: Both books are liesurely contemplations of fantastical situations, not plot- or character-driven, but conceptual.
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (lewbs)
    lewbs: Borges admired The Martian Chronicles. The two books have much in common.
    Primeval and Other Times by Olga Tokarczuk (Oct326)
    Oct326: Due esempi di narrazioni fantastiche di grande ricchezza e suggestione, più cristalline e sfaccettate quelle di Borges, più morbida e avvolgente quella di Tokarczuk.
    The Periodic Table by Primo Levi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Tales of Hoffmann by E. T. A. Hoffmann (Cecrow)
    House Of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (fundevogel)
    Minor Angels by Antoine Volodine (Eustrabirbeonne)
1940s (7)

English (71)  Spanish (10)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Portuguese (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (95)
A great collection of unpredictable inverted short stories. Not to be read when tired - each story requires focus and thinking. A lot of the literary references were over my head and I wasn't willing to invest the time in doing research, but I still very much enjoyed the book. ( )
  MysteryTea | Jun 14, 2021 |
Um conjunto de contos e pequenas histórias cheios de paradoxos, fantasia, referências, infinitos e labirintos.

Muito original, um q.b. de complicado de entender mas sem dúvida interessantíssimo.

XavierPinho | Mar 10, 2021 |
Borges is someone who's been floating through the background of a lot of other stuff that I like (Eco, Wolfe), so it was only a matter of time before I picked this up. It feels a little sacrilegious giving this something less than 5 stars, but...there were times where I felt like Borges was losing me entirely and reading this just wasn't enjoyable or engaging. For the most part, though, this is a fascinating tour through a weird shadowland of Borges's devising, and I'm curious to read more. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
Three Versions of Judas: 5/10
The End: 7/10
The Sect of the Phoenix: 5/10
The South: 7/10

Unfortunately I think I only understood a fraction of what was going on here. In my first foray with Borges, I dip my toes in the water, when each one of these stories have unimaginable depths and meanings that I only began to start understanding. I will have to spend a lot more time with this one. ( )
  Andjhostet | Jan 11, 2021 |
Jorge Luis Borges was one of those very rare creators who changed the face of an art form—in his case, the short story. His work has been paid the ultimate honor of being appropriated and imitated by innumerable writers on every continent of the world.

The seventeen brief masterpieces of FICCIONES explode the boundaries of genre, offering up labyrinthine libraries, a fictional encyclopedia entry that spawns an entire world, a review of a nonexistent writer’s attempt to re-create Don Quixote word for word, a man with the disabling inability to forget anything he has ever experienced, and other metaphysical puzzles. But the true measure of Borges’s greatness lies in the fact that his fictions—elaborately paradoxical, postmodern, and intellectually delicious as they are—managed to return the short story to the realm of the fabulous and the uncanny from which, as parable and fairy tale, it originally came.
  Centre_A | Nov 27, 2020 |

Has the adaptation

Has as a study

To
Esther Zemborain de Torres
I owe the discovery of Uqbar to the conjunction of a mirror and an encyclopedia. (Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius)
The work of Jorge Luis Borges is a species of international literary metaphor. (Introduction)
The eight pieces of this book do not require extraneous elucidation. (Prologue, Part One)
Though less torpidly executed, the pieces in this section are similar to those which form the first part of the book. (Prologue, Part Two)

Un falso paese scoperto "nelle pagine di un'enciclopedia plagiaria", Uqbar, e un pianeta immaginario, Tlön, "labirinto ordito dagli uomini" ma capace di cambiare la faccia del mondo; il "Don Chisciotte" di Menard, identico a quello di Cervantes eppure infinitamente più ricco; il mago che plasma un figlio nella materia dei sogni e scopre di essere a sua volta solo un sogno; l'infinita biblioteca di Babele, i cui scaffali "registrano tutte le possibili combinazioni dei venticinque simboli ortografici... cioè tutto ciò ch'è dato di esprimere, in tutte le lingue" e che sopravviverà all'estinzione della specie umana; il giardino dei sentieri che si biforcano; l'insonne Funes, che ha più ricordi di quanti ne avranno mai tutti gli uomini insieme.
(piopas)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,279,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible