Fictions (1944)

by Jorge Luis Borges

The seventeen pieces in Ficciones demonstrate the gargantuan powers of imagination, intelligence, and style of one of the greatest writers of this or any other century. Borges sends us on a journey into a compelling, bizarre, and profoundly resonant realm; we enter the fearful sphere of Pascal's abyss, the surreal and literal labyrinth of books, and the iconography of eternal return. More playful and approachable than the fictions themselves are Borges's Prologues, brief elucidations that offer the uninitiated a passageway into the whirlwind of Borges's genius and mirror the precision and potency of his intellect and inventiveness, his piercing irony, his skepticism, and his obsession with fantasy. To enter the worlds in Ficciones is to enter the mind of Jorge Luis Borges, wherein lies Heaven, Hell, and everything in between.… (more)
Recently added byryanfb, Mace2Space, rubyman, jpeleteiro, KeithGold, private library, andherzog, AWULS, danhiggins3
Legacy LibrariesGraham Greene, Danilo Kiš
    The Aleph and Other Stories by Jorge Luis Borges (VanishedOne)
    Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (Carnophile)
    Carnophile: While Ficciones is a subset of Collected Fictions, it is nice to have two translations of the same material. Each translator captures nuances the other misses.
    Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino (Carnophile)
    Carnophile: Both books are liesurely contemplations of fantastical situations, not plot- or character-driven, but conceptual.
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (lewbs)
    lewbs: Borges admired The Martian Chronicles. The two books have much in common.
    Tales of Hoffmann by E. T. A. Hoffmann (Cecrow)
    The Periodic Table by Primo Levi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Primeval and Other Times by Olga Tokarczuk (Oct326)
    Oct326: Due esempi di narrazioni fantastiche di grande ricchezza e suggestione, più cristalline e sfaccettate quelle di Borges, più morbida e avvolgente quella di Tokarczuk.
    House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (fundevogel)
    Minor Angels by Antoine Volodine (Eustrabirbeonne)
1940s (9)

English (84)  Spanish (13)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (113)
The stories in this collection often had a peculiar twist that exploded suddenly into a vast plane of possibilities and nuances. While reading the twist you can feel the physical effect on your brain - it goes from a calm cozy contemplation to a violent combustion of grappling and grasping for explanations and boundaries. It's a stimulating ride at the end of which you tilt your head back and quietly whisper: "wtf". ( )
  rubyman | Feb 21, 2024 |
27 years later, I read stories that I barely remember. The library and circular ruins are familiar, but the rest are not. I remembered enjoying the book in college, but this time the work and labor of reading did not fulfill. ( )
  wvlibrarydude | Jan 14, 2024 |
This is a small book of 17 short stories. Each one has to be focussed on and I found they didn't work as bedtime reading when I was tired. I am not much of a short story reader as they are fleeting; in my head in the moment and then gone. I don't have the same investment in characters that I do with a novel. This was true of these stories too and it is hard to remember much about them, apart from the last one that I read today. This was The South, a story of how unpredictable life is and how pointless planning is. Some of the stories were unfathomable to me and may suit those who are better read. Death and the Compass has elements of a crime mystery story that I liked. Others read like a book review or an obituary. The Library of Babel is a clever fantasy. This seemed like a book to dip in and out of, enjoying the intellectural stories. ( )
  CarolKub | Jan 10, 2024 |
Me encanto!!! después de mucho tiempo me reconcilie con Borges, al fin me amigue. ( )
  Presagios | Nov 27, 2023 |
Excepcional autor, con cuentos cortos pero muy profundos. ( )
  InigoAngulo | Sep 2, 2023 |

Has the adaptation

Has as a study

To
Esther Zemborain de Torres
I owe the discovery of Uqbar to the conjunction of a mirror and an encyclopedia. (Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius)
The work of Jorge Luis Borges is a species of international literary metaphor. (Introduction)
The eight pieces of this book do not require extraneous elucidation. (Prologue, Part One)
Though less torpidly executed, the pieces in this section are similar to those which form the first part of the book. (Prologue, Part Two)

Un falso paese scoperto "nelle pagine di un'enciclopedia plagiaria", Uqbar, e un pianeta immaginario, Tlön, "labirinto ordito dagli uomini" ma capace di cambiare la faccia del mondo; il "Don Chisciotte" di Menard, identico a quello di Cervantes eppure infinitamente più ricco; il mago che plasma un figlio nella materia dei sogni e scopre di essere a sua volta solo un sogno; l'infinita biblioteca di Babele, i cui scaffali "registrano tutte le possibili combinazioni dei venticinque simboli ortografici... cioè tutto ciò ch'è dato di esprimere, in tutte le lingue" e che sopravviverà all'estinzione della specie umana; il giardino dei sentieri che si biforcano; l'insonne Funes, che ha più ricordi di quanti ne avranno mai tutti gli uomini insieme.
(piopas)

Current Discussions

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,877,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible