House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

House of Leaves (2000)

by Mark Z. Danielewski

11,111291381 (4.12)2 / 482
Years ago, when House of Leaves was first being passed around, it was nothing more than a badly bundled heap of paper, parts of which would occasionally surface on the Internet. No one could have anticipated the small but devoted following this terrifying story would soon command. Starting with an odd assortment of marginalized youth -- musicians, tattoo artists, programmers, strippers, environmentalists, and adrenaline junkies -- the book eventually made its way into the hands of older generations, who not only found themselves in those strangely arranged pages but also discovered a way back into the lives of their estranged children. Now, for the first time, this astonishing novel is made available in book form, complete with the original colored words, vertical footnotes, and newly added second and third appendices. The story remains unchanged, focusing on a young family that moves into a small home on Ash Tree Lane where they discover something is terribly wrong: their house is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. Of course, neither Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist Will Navidson nor his companion Karen Green was prepared to face the consequences of that impossibility, until the day their two little children wandered off and their voices eerily began to return another story -- of creature darkness, of an ever-growing abyss behind a closet door, and of that unholy growl which soon enough would tear through their walls and consume all their dreams.… (more)
    The Haunting of Hill House (Penguin Classics) by Shirley Jackson (macart3)
    macart3: Those who read the "House of Leaves" will recognize how the house also consumes people in "The Haunting of Hill House" and the feeling that there is something unearthly inhabiting the house.
    The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall (Liyanna)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (PandorasRequiem)
    Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon (AndySandwich)
    AndySandwich: Gravity's Rainbow = paranoia House of Leaves = claustrophobia
    At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O'Brien (Fenoxielo)
    Fenoxielo: At Swim-Two-Birds is the grand-daddy of all meta-fiction and House of Leaves owes a great deal to it.
    S. by Doug Dorst (PaulBerauer)
    The Red Tree by Caitlín R. Kiernan (ligature)
    Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (fundevogel)
    Vellum: The Book of All Hours by Hal Duncan (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For a sincere ambition to figure out what the hell is going on.
    Hopscotch by Julio Cortázar (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Great experimental works where you get something different from the book depending on the order in which you read its pieces.
    Dave Made a Maze by Bill Watterson (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both works deal with a strange and deadly labyrinth that's bigger on the inside.
    How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu (sduff222)
    Chunnel Surfer II by Scott Maddix (aaronius)
    aaronius: Another experimental narrative that takes you different places than ordinary fiction.
    Icelander by Dustin Long (sduff222)
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (Cecrow)
    You Should Have Left by Daniel Kehlmann (amanda4242)
    The Way Inn by Will Wiles (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Another book with a protagonist who is deeply unsettled by the seemingly infinite building he is living in.
    Empire of the Ants by Bernard Werber (guyalice)
    guyalice: The mysterious basement and the unending staircase draw parallelisms.
    The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien (owen1218, ateolf)
    owen1218: It seems to have been influenced by this book.
    BLAME!, Vol. 1 by Tsutomu Nihei (Anonymous user)

Romans (45)

English (279)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (290)
Wonderful. ( )
  Adammmmm | Sep 10, 2019 |
Exceptional Read! ( )
  eaking68 | Sep 1, 2019 |
I only got about halfway through this book and couldn't finish it. The parts of the story that dealt with the house were fantastic and told a genuinely compelling horror story. The rest, however, was extremely dull, and the chaotic style of print was off-putting. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
Bizar en boeiend. ( )
  kopkoffie | Apr 21, 2019 |
My initial reading was courtesy of the local library. Yes, I had seen Blair Witch previously at the theatre and felt empty afterwards. One could also ditto the fact that I had read Infinite Jest by this point, the first time, if I may smug.

Everything worked for me during that initial reading. There were just enough fuck-ups surrounding me that the authorial tension was palpable. I found a great copy a few years later and I found myself drawn after my wife and I bought a house, the cause is obvious.

I bought a copy for my best friend last year and have been badgering my friends to select it for a group read.

Here is a truly haunting review which affords the novel justice: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/416206083
2016 -- plunging in again. My birthday afforded the chance to reflect on my younger self's first reading, a time emblazoned with dysfunction yet hope. There was a golden hope about things, a progress, a shock of the new. Now I find myself immobilized by the rampant daddy issues in the novel. The almost autistic distancing via footnotes and the whirl of the cursed condition leaves its hosts/victims lost in serial annotations. Somehow I find this fitting and terrifying. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
House of leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski runs to 710 pages: 13 pages of introduction, 535 of text, followed by three appendices and a 42-page, triple-column index.
added by KayCliff | editThe Indexer, Hazel K Bell (Aug 4, 2009)

... let me say right off that his book is funny, moving, sexy, beautifully told, an elaborate engagement with the shape and meaning of narrative. For all its modernist maneuvers, postmodernist airs and post-postmodernist critical parodies, ''House of Leaves'' is, when you get down to it, an adventure story: a man starts traveling inside a house that keeps getting larger from within, even as its outside dimensions remain the same. He is entering deep space through the closet door.

Danielewski, Mark Z.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Santen, Karina vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuenke, ChristaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vosmaer, MartineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is not for you.
I still get nightmares. In fact I get them so often I should be used to them by now. I'm not. No one ever really gets used to nightmares.

A blind old man, a young apprentice working in a tattoo shop, and a mad woman haunting an Ohio institute narrate this story of a family that encounters an endlessly shifting series of hallways in their new home, eventually coming face to face with the awful darkness lying at its heart.

The “1st Edition” was on-line; thus, the first printed book is the 2nd Edition.
One creepy closet,
Holds plenty of shoes, coats and
Navidson Records

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,914,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible