Vellum

by Hal Duncan

Series: The Book of All Hours (1)

It's 2017 and the End Days are coming, beings that were once human gathering to fight in one last great war for control of the Vellum - the vast realm of eternity on which our world is just a scratch. But to a draft-dodging Irish angel and a trailer-trash tomboy called Phreedom, it's about to become brutally clear that there's no plan at play here, just a vicious battle between the hawks of Heaven and Hell, with humanity stuck in the middle. Here there are no heroes, no darlings of destiny struggling to save the day, and there are no villains, no dark lords of evil out to destroy the world. Here, the most ancient gods and the most modern humans are equally fate's fools, victims of their own hubris, struggling to save their own skins, their own souls, but sometimes sacrificing everything in the name of humanity.… (more)

English (42)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (44)
Started off well, but ended in quite a mess. ( )
  jenkinbun | Jan 1, 2021 |
What an odd book... it took me almost the whole thing to break my mind from trying to read it as fragmented pieces of linear arcs (cross-referencing and influencing one another). Rather, it reads as a flow of implications; the story changing--literally, at the structural level--as characters and events influence the interpretations of what has gone before.

Ridiculously confusing, and I really do feel the ideas escaped from the author at times, but then, given the intention of the formal / plot invention, is that actually a flaw?

Still, I'll take a break before the sequel (which merely means I'll have to *re-learn* this same lesson!) ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |
I was just not in the mood for this one - twisted reality and a gaggle of boys and one girl/goddess on a motorcycle. It just kept going around in circles and I got bored. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
i wanted to love this book, i did, but in the end i just couldn't. the immortal stuff just didn't work, though it had the placement advantage of the non-linear timelines. the endless war stories weren't my cup of tea - it's a relentlessly male kind of a book. and the ventures into mythology seemed a bit forced, sadly. the Supernatural series made a more coherent narrative out of Metatron and the angels' war in heaven a few years later, and the Inanna assault on the underworld never really gels, largely because both his mythic and his character stand-in for Inanna are written as too weak and passive to execute a plan. planning in fact may be the problem overall; could his association with a writer's group described as an "anarchist collective" suggest a reason? "operation: focus narrative", reads the author's internal note on the text at p. 314, but he never quite does, and as a result i had terrible trouble staying awake in the middle of the book; i kept nodding off, from one line to the next, and finally realized i was busy in my sleep rewriting lines and finishing paragraphs to my own satisfaction, and no reader ever reads a book in order to write one. so now i have to decide whether to read Ink, the second book, which i have on hand, because i was expecting to want to. sigh. ( )
  macha | May 21, 2017 |
profanity, obscenity, blasphemy, all these were what this book centered around. Humans become angels, the top angel became god, was overthrown. Angels, demons, whatever, are unkin. And a war wages between them all. The Vellum is under all, the true reality" that can be rewritten.

This book was very non-linear, almost like the author was on an acid trip or smoking pot when he wrote this. Duncan gloried in profanity and homosexuality, and a refusal to "choose" sides in a divine war. And it was just so full of emptiness, hopelessness and despair. Who would want that kind of world view? Ugh." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Hal Duncanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dolisi, FlorenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saikkonen, NinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Folio SF (434)
Prologue: Eine brennende Landkarte.
Text: Das Ewige Stundenbuch, so nannten es die Benediktiner im Mittelalter.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,419,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible