The World of Null-A by A. E. Van Vogt

The World of Null-A (1948)

by A. E. Van Vogt

Series: Null-A (1)

English (14)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (16)
scifi
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Some interesting ideas, but really poorly written. Hard to understand what was going on, especially during the parts that were supposed to be explanatory. Reminded me a lot of the one book (sorry I don't remember which) I tried by [a:Ayn Rand|432|Ayn Rand|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1168729178p2/432.jpg]. At least I got through it - and since I didn't (and won't) read [b:Slan|643792|Slan (Slan, #1)|A.E. van Vogt|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388290996s/643792.jpg|2742092], at least I got through one by this over-rated author.

Even to his trained brain, the reorientation necessary to acceptance of President Hardie of Earth as a plotter was a hurdle too big for easy surmounting."

Really? Challenge yourself - untangle and restate that. Even if you're not a writer, I'm sure you can be more lucid.

Otoh, some quotes are intriguing. But who is "E.T.B." (below)?

"... the consuming hunger for the uncritical mind for what it imagines to be certainty or finality impels it to feast upon shadows."

I wish that van Vogt had written in *that* voice, instead of his own...." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A bit of a disappointment to me...this book just does not seem to go anywhere. It strikes me as being a book that might actually make a better movie...(What a horrible thing to say on a book site, eh?). ( )
1 vote dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I was long a fan of General Semantics, so this is a great Science Fiction book for me. This was the kind of Sci-Fi book I grew up with, so the male centric, and poor characterization seems just fine to me.

I enjoy the concepts that are being thought about in this story. It is also easier to read than Alfred Korzybski's book explaining the ideas. "Science and Sanity"

Everyone should read this. Just remember Van Vogt was a pulp writer from the 1930s and 1940s.

Below are some academic articles I found about this book:
Sharp, William Henry. "A. E. Van Vogt and the World of Null-a." Et Cetera, 63.1 (2006): 4.

Nosnivel, Nitram. "Quotations from the World of Null-a." Et Cetera, 65.3 (2008): 286.

Drake, H. L. The Null-a Worlds of AE Van Vogt. C. Drumm Books, 1989.

Stephensen-Payne, Phil, and Ian Covell. AE Van Vogt, Master of Null-A: A Working Bibliography. Galactic Central, 1997.

Kiddell, John B. "Titan on an overgrown typewriter: a Jungian approach to AE Van Vogt's Null-A novels." (1989). ( )
  superant | Sep 4, 2014 |

Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peyton, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stoovelaar, FrankCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Common sense, do what it will, cannot avoid being surprised occasionally.

The classic novel of non-Aristotelian logic and the coming race of supermen

Grandmaster A. E. van Vogt was one of the giants of the 1940s, the Golden Age of classic SF. Of his masterpieces, The World of Null-A is his most famous and most influential. It was the first major trade SF hardcover ever, in 1949, and has been in print in various editions ever since. The entire careers of Philip K. Dick, Keith Laumer, Alfred Bester, Charles Harness, and Philip Jose Farmer were created or influenced by The World of Null-A, and so it is required reading for anyone who wishes to know the canon of SF classics.

It is the year 2650 and Earth has become a world of non-Aristotelianism, or Null-A. This is the story of Gilbert Gosseyn, who lives in that future world where the Games Machine, made up of twenty-five thousand electronic brains, sets the course of people's lives. Gosseyn isn't even sure of his own identity, but realizes he has some remarkable abilities and sets out to use them to discover who has made him a pawn in an interstellar plot.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:16 -0400)

A classic novel of non-Aristotelian logic and the coming race of supermen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,330,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible