Makers

by Cory Doctorow

What happens to America when two geeks working from a garage invent easy 3D printing, a cure for obesity, and crowd-sourced theme parks? Lawsuits against Disney are only the beginning in this major novel of the booms, busts, and further booms in store for America in the age of open source and its hero/hacker culture.… (more)

English (66)  Polish (1)  French (1)  All languages (68)
awesome book.
loved his take on copyrights.
Thought its great what he is doing by gigivng the ebook away.
Awesome story. want to read more by him.
lesson learned (if you can get those from fiction):do what you love and the rest will follow?

p.s. first book I read on my nook
  royragsdale | Sep 22, 2021 |
This is my second Doctorow book after For the Win and I still don't know how to feel about his work. I enjoy how he weaves near-future ideas into his work and paints the reader a portrait of dystopia America that is already being created. My frustration with Doctorow come when he puts his sci-fi ideas first and focuses on character development second.

In Makers the novel starts with Suzanne Church, a reporter who gets lured away from Silicon valley to find out details about how manufacturing startups can change the business world. The story goes out of it's way to explain how 3D printers, venture capitalists, and a lot of startup components are structured. Church also gives a women's perspective into the tech world. Church comes off as the most put-together character until she is sidelined later in the story.

The story takes some weird turns that I didn't expect and for the most part kept me interested. This story wraps up with a serious commentary on how people who attempt to change the world are left broken and battered.

My issues with the story come from how plotlines are picked up and then discarded. The ride in partcular felt weak because the character's had little real interaction with it and it is left to smaller characters to fill that role. The shifting narrator's felt confusing at times and beyond a few very specific locations, the character's could just be floating heads.

I enjoy Doctorow and commend him for releasing his work for free. I look forward to trying out some more of his work, especially Little Brother.

Download Makers Here ( )
  livertalia | Aug 30, 2021 |
Would have been a 3, but for some gratuitous sex. ( )
  Ranbato | Dec 17, 2020 |
This book is overall a great read, fun and fascinating. Of its three parts, I liked the first part best -- the other two dragged a little in comparison. ( )
  elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |
The story was very good, but the sex scene in the middle was ... not something I want to read again, ever. ( )
  cindiann | May 3, 2018 |
For "the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things."
Suzanne Church almost never had to bother with the blue blazer these days. Back at the height of the dot-boom, she'd put on her business journalist drag--blazer, blue sailcloth shirt, khaki trousers, loafers--just about every day, putting in her obligatory appearances at splashy press-conferences for high-flying IPOs and mergers. These days, it was mostly work at home or one day a week at the San Jose Mercury News's office, in comfortable light sweaters with loose necks and loose cotton pants that she could wear straight to yoga after shutting her computer's lid.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,172,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible