The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A.…

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (1966)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Series: World As Myth (Prequel)

The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: A different moon, a different anti-authoritarian community, but the same experience of thinking about other ways to run human societies
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (JFDR)
    Illusions of Tranquility [short fiction] by Brendan DuBois (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: This short story puts a new twist on Heinlein's libertarian moon colony.
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (bertilak)
    Freehold by Michael Z. Williamson (enrique_molinero)
    Radio Freefall by Matthew Jarpe (psybre)
    psybre: Lunar mayhem, and not just due to rock and roll, either.
    The Merro Tree by Katie Waitman (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the seeds of revolution.
    Pallas by L. Neil Smith (enrique_molinero)
    Moon of Mutiny by Lester Del Rey (infiniteletters)
    The Unincorporated Man by Dani Kollin (MyriadBooks)

English (142)  Swedish (2)  Slovak (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (146)
A 5-star story with 1-star female characters. Typical of Heinlein and of the sci-fi of the era. Hell of a storyteller just wish his vision of women wasn't a fantasy out of an adolescent heterosexual male mind. He also gets a bit didactic with his Libertarian philosophy. ( )
1 vote Zoes_Human | Jan 19, 2019 |
This classic has been on my list for a bit, so I figured it was a good time to give it a go.

Very interesting read. The reader makes Manny sound like a cross between an old fashion Russian and a Latinx person. Which fits, since he's as much genetic mutt as most US citizens. Of course, that also factors into what the colony on the moon would be after so many generations as well.

I loved the growth of Mike through the first two parts of the book. I even enjoyed his definition of orgasm and how he experienced it.

The more I read the book, the more I SWEAR I've seen this story line before. Obviously, whoever wrote it that I read before followed Heinlein's plot but changed the characters. For some reason, I keep going back to a Orson Scott Card book, [The Worthing Saga] but I know that's not right.

The professor reminds me of someone in life that I don't much care for. Maybe that was why when we reach the end, his story line didn't catch me as much. Manny definitely reminds me a lot of myself. He doesn't really want to be in charge, just wants to do his job, yet people keep forcing him to the front to lead. He keeps dropping back, they keep shoving him forward.

Very good book. I'm tempted to buy it in all its forms now... ( )
  gilroy | Dec 27, 2018 |
The year is 1966. Yes, I know the book is set in 2076. Yet, it is about as mid-sixties as they come. Its themes are: the fascination with the moon, space travel and computers; commune-like family structures and the role of women; and rebellion, politics and authority. Its is written in a fake Russian accent; it ceaselessly objectifies and sexualizes women; and much of it is spent in boring bureaucratic meetings.

Heinlein's main interest is the revolution. How is it started, organized, how does it spread. Why do people join, who are its leaders. What happens when you succeed, how can you get your own people and the other nations to accept the new order. He spends a lot of time on organizing communication, propaganda, manipulating public opinion, keeping political control while maintaining the semblance of democracy.

The first half of the book goes fairly fast, with the setting up and carrying out of the revolution. We meet Mike, the sentient computer, whose personality evolves from attention-seeking child to rebellion leader. The pace slows down in the second half. While we still see a lot of action, much of it is bogged down with the tedious meetings, political maneauvering, and technical details.

Here comes major beef number one. If you are writing science fiction, get your science right! The farming on Luna, so central to the plot, is simply not explained. How could growing grain on the Moon be possibly cheaper and more viable than on Earth? Crops need sun, air, soil and water. Are they grown in greenhouses? If they are underground, why can't they do that on Earth? If not, how do you plow a surface without atmosphere that's two weeks extremely cold and two weeks extremely hot? And how do you make it cost-effective? There is nothing about these "minor" problems in the book. This is unforgiveable.

He also fails to extrapolate from existing technology. Mike always needs a phone line, even though radios existed. News come from newspapers, even though there is video broadcasting. And the way we use artificial intelligence is... by making the machine pretend to be human? Excuse me. Asimov wrote about way more advanced AI concepts, way earlier.

Now, to my major, major beef: the constant, tireless, never-ceasing sexism. The book starts with the arrival of Wyo, a very attracive woman. Every man she meets - and I truly mean every - greets her with appreciative looking up-and-down, whistling, tongue clicking, and suggestive remarks. Even the boys learn this behavior at an early age. And, apparently, Wyo loves it! This way of treating women continues all through the book.

Women "undulate", and men just can't control themselves, because there are twice as many men as women. To solve this problem, they have commune-like family structures such as line marriage, which is essentially sex of all females with all males in a commune, run by women. However the women's role is limited to the home and raising children. In a telling anecdote, when Wyo shows interest in farming, they eventually send her back home because she is too distracting for the men-folk at work. WTF???

To Heinlein's credit, he is also a proponent of absolute choice for women - the woman always decides. Touching a woman against her will is punishable by death in Luna. He also attempts involving women in the government, mainly Wyo; although this is often limited to family or women's issues. Which, thinking about it, is way more advanced than our current government.

Overall, this book has not aged well. Decently written, semi-enjoyable, it is mostly valuable as a time capsule of the sixties Zeitgeist.
1 vote Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I figured I should read some Heinlein at some point in my life and now I can cross that area off the lifetime read list, never to reappear.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is propaganda with some plot mixed in to make it readable. There is nothing interesting said about the human condition other than "this is what libertarianism is." Human relationships are spontaneous and inexplicable (e.g. what does Wyoh find attractive about Manuel?) There is very little emotional content in general; perhaps the radiation on the moon has burned out the part of the brain that deals with emotion? ;)

The most tiresome part was the rehashing of Turner's frontier thesis. We are told over and over that Lunar occupants are just better people, because they have dealt with high mortality and low resource availability. No psychopaths exist, no one lies or steals or cheats, which is actually what happens when resources are scarce. Booze is cheap but no one has alcohol addiction. Women are low in numbers but aren't controlled by law or by custom, and are apparently volunteering to be a sort of prostitute during the war at the end. These situations contradict logic and basic understanding of how people and societies operate, but Heinlein makes it look completely plausible by making one of the main characters a computer. If the computer is logical, and the computer agrees with Luna's existence and its quest for self-rule, then Luna's society and revolution must be logical.

I'll give a paragraph to Manuel, because he seems to be the everyman equivalent of the protagonist of a romance novel — he can't have anything truly distinctive about his character otherwise you wouldn't be able to fit yourself neatly into his place. The prosthetic arm is a way to identify him, not a part of his character. He seems to have lost the arm in an accident, no biggie. There is no frustration with the prosthetic, no pain or discomfort, no sense of inferiority or difference from other two-armed people. If he grieved over the loss of his arm, it was a long time ago and that experience didn't change him in any way. Or maybe it was part of the overall harsh frontier conditions that have magically made all these people full of solidarity with each other instead of scared and withdrawn.

I didn't find the technology marvel of natural language processing imagined on a 60s-era mainframe objectionable. Most AI in fiction gets incredibly hand-wavy when the author tries to speculate exactly how a machine becomes sentient; it's not as if a modern account of neural networks is going to be any more plausible. Plus I rather enjoyed some of the specifics of now-ancient technology - printing out the ballistics programs recalls that famous picture of the NASA programmer with her stacks of printed-out programs in binders next to her. ( )
  bexaplex | Oct 19, 2018 |
Space revolution by moon libertarians! ( )
  Jerry.Yoakum | Oct 18, 2018 |
None of these complaints are to say that Harsh Mistress is a straight-up bad book. As with any Heinlein book, it offers a lot of food for thought and fodder for argument.
added by lorax | editio9, Josh Wimmer (May 2, 2010)

Heinlein, Robert A.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patrito, MarcoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pinna, AntonangeloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warhola, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Pete and Jane Sencenbaugh
I see in Lunaya Pravda that Luna City Council has passed on first reading a bill to examine, license, inspect—and tax—public food vendors operating inside municipal pressure.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.
TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)
We never did it that way again ... Alvarez was not a scientific detective.

Für die ersten Raumfahrer war sie das Ziel ihrer größten Sehnsüchte, doch nun ist Luna ein Hort der Alpträume geworden. Die Menschen haben den Mond in eine riesige Strafkolonie verwandelt. Niemand, der hierher verbannt wurde, hat die Chance, auf die Erde zurückzukehren. Das System ist allen verhaßt, doch keiner lehnt sich gegen die grausamen Unterdrücker auf - bis Mike, der gigantische Computer, für die Loonies Partei ergreift. Und plötzlich scheint alles möglich zu sein - selbst die Revolution auf dem Mond.
Ein Klassiker! Einer der fünf besten SF-Romane aller Zeiten.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312863551, Paperback)

Tom Clancy has said of Robert A. Heinlein, "We proceed down the path marked by his ideas. He shows us where the future is." Nowhere is this more true than in Heinlein's gripping tale of revolution on the moon in 2076, where "Loonies" are kept poor and oppressed by an Earth-based Authority that turns huge profits at their expense. A small band of dissidents, including a one-armed computer jock, a radical young woman, a past-his-prime academic and a nearly omnipotent computer named Mike, ignite the fires of revolution despite the near certainty of failure and death.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:57 -0400)

A one-armed computer technician, a radical blonde bombshell, an aging academic, and a sentient all-knowing computer lead the lunar population in a revolution against Earth's colonial rule.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,548,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible