Seveneves by Neal Stephenson

Seveneves

by Neal Stephenson

Other authors: Ben Hawker (Researcher), Paul Tobin (Researcher)

Red Mars (Mars Trilogy) by Kim Stanley Robinson (psybre)
    psybre: Each book contains detailed methods and thinking that goes into solving space-colonization and space disaster issues. They also infuse the issues with politics.
    The Forge of God by Greg Bear (JGolomb)
    JGolomb: All life on Earth is ending, and humanity runs for the stars
    Anathem by Neal Stephenson (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (JGolomb)
    Macrolife: A Mobile Utopia by George Zebrowski (tetrachromat)
    Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven (Cecrow)
    Schismatrix Plus (Complete Shapers-Mechanists Universe) by Bruce Sterling (szarka)
    szarka: Seveneves and Sterling's Shapers-Mechanists stories are both concerned with what happens to humanity over long spans of time.
    Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson (JGolomb)
    JGolomb: Earth looks to space to save humankind. Seveneves is much better.
    The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are narratives with a big, optimistic vision of the future of humanity.
    The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (JGolomb)
    JGolomb: While not fantasy, Stephenson's work does an amazing job of building Middle-Earth-like mythology.

English (99)  German (3)  French (1)  All (103)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Oh, Neal Stephenson. I keep trying to read you, expecting something different, and I keep feeling unsatisfied at the end.

First, a bit of context. The Stephenson I've read in the past has presented a bit of a pattern to me. He manages some of the best world-building I have ever read. His understanding of society and the way it reacts to new circumstances or technology is inspired, bordering on prescient. He truly understands the way that people AS A GROUP will react, and can use that insight to generate a thoroughly inventive and entertaining world.

But, and here is the part that distances me, he cannot seem to translate the way he writes about people down to the level of a person. That is, his individual characters are broad-stroke caricatures, or else puppets whose strings are clearly pulled by the requirements of the narrative. I did not find myself truly invested in any of them -- while on a macro level, I was thoroughly invested in the fate of the human race as a whole.

The result was an odd dichotomy of experience. I found that I did not thoroughly enjoy any single part of the book, and yet it has stuck with me. The subjects it raised have come up in conversations, especially late-night philosophical discussions over a nice glass of wine. It is the epitome of a book that I am glad to have read, but would not ordinarily have chosen to actually read.

In terms of recommendation, it all depends on how you like your sci-fi. If you're interested in big, broad strokes of characters, detailed population world building, and some nitty-gritty science in your sci-fi, then you'll love it. If you are looking for a personal story, people you care about, and an outcome that makes the sci-fi real, then you may want to skim or move on. ( )
  shabacus | Apr 6, 2017 |
Very hard-science fiction, lots of orbital mechanics, though as the book progressed there were more science/engineering plot holes. I enjoyed the first two parts more than the third. I needed more exposition to understand what was clearly a thoroughly-developed and different-from-our-own world. ( )
  Sarah.Quiggle | Apr 3, 2017 |
Terrific book, as Stephenson provides us with a hard science thriller that has so much science, so much detail, so much common-sense, you would swear that it was real, and possible.

The book is really broken into two sections - the first and longer section deals with the aftermath of the moon exploding and providing some sort of mechanism to allow humanity to survive. The second section is the rebuilding effort much later.

I'll be honest, the first part of the book was my favorite part - as it is written in a way that so few speculative fiction books are written now - believable with hard science attached. The last part of the book while interesting wasn't quite as well developed, and other persons have done that type of world building better.

Nonetheless, it's an exciting read and well worth the time invested. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
A - J read.Skipped Part 3.
  beckydj | Mar 22, 2017 |
Good concept, flowed fairly well, however i got the impression that at times the desire to have scientific content detracted from the narrative.
It became very confusing and would need an engineering degree at the least to understand in parts. ( )
  OwenRochester | Mar 22, 2017 |

Stephenson, Nealprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hawker, BenResearchersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tobin, PaulResearchersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, AdamCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knowles, JonathanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pearce, ChristianIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jaime, Maria, Marco, and Jeff
The moon blew up without warning and for no apparent reason. The time was 05:03:12 UTC. Later it would be designated…simply Zero.
But Henry wasn't a parent, and he didn't understand that when you were, almost nothing was more satisfying than seeing your kid sleep.
She then called a meeting of the entire human race: Dinah, Ivy, Moira, Tekla, Julia, Aïda, Camila, and Luisa.
Smiling, Aïda thrust her hand out, thumb down.
“I pronounce a curse,” she said. Luisa let out an exasperated sigh. “This is not a curse that I create. It is not a curse on your children. No. I have never been as bad as you all think that I am. This is a curse that you have created, by doing this thing that you are about to do. And it is a curse upon my children. Because I know. I see how it is to be. I am the evil one. The cannibal. The one who would not go along. My children, no matter what decision I make, will forever be different from your children. Because make no mistake. What you have decided to do is to create new races. Seven new races. They will be separate and distinct forever, as much as you, Moira, are from Ivy. They will never merge into a single human race again, because that is not the way of humanity. Thousands of years from now, the descendants of you six will look at my descendants and say, ‘Ah, look, there is a child of Aïda, the cannibal, the evil one, the cursed one.’ They will cross the street to avoid my children; they will spit on the ground. This is the thing that you have done by making this decision. I will shape my child—my children, for I shall have many—to bear up under this curse. To survive it. And to prevail.” Aïda swept her gaze around the room, staring with her deep black eyes into the face of each of the other women in turn, then looked into the window and locked eyes with Dinah.
“I pronounce it,” she said, then slowly rotated her hand until her thumb was pointed up.

An exciting and thought-provoking science fiction epic—a grand story of annihilation and survival spanning five thousand years.

What would happen if the world were ending?

A catastrophic event renders the earth a ticking time bomb. In a feverish race against the inevitable, nations around the globe band together to devise an ambitious plan to ensure the survival of humanity far beyond our atmosphere, in outer space.

But the complexities and unpredictability of human nature coupled with unforeseen challenges and dangers threaten the intrepid pioneers, until only a handful of survivors remain . . .

Five thousand years later, their progeny—seven distinct races now three billion strong—embark on yet another audacious journey into the unknown . . . to an alien world utterly transformed by cataclysm and time: Earth.
Moon in seven parts
Destroys all life on the Earth
But man will survive

From Seven, many
(T4NK)

490 wanted5 pay10 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,761,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible