The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov

The Foundation Trilogy (1951)

by Isaac Asimov

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven (BGP)
    The Complete Robot by Isaac Asimov (fichtennadel)
    The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton (haven1)
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are narratives with a big, optimistic vision of the future of humanity.

English (51)  Italian (1)  All (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (55)
I have not read The Foundation Triology since I was 10 years old. It made a huge impression on me at that time and I thought it was time to reread the classic series - one of the most honored and cherished science fiction series ever to be written.

Well, it hasn't aged well, Asimov's characters are wooden and one-dimensional and not developed at all. The dialogue is, shall we say, 50's pulp fictionish. The plot throughout the books wanders around like a drunken sailor looking for a good time.

Still, Asimov does one thing so right it completely redeems the entire series and makes the books well worth reading. His vision of a galactic empire encompassing MILLIONS of worlds is enthralling and spins my geekness on it's ear. His idea of pyschohistory - the ability to predict future events based on large groups of people is equally interesting.

Worth reading due to the contributions to science fiction and the ideas presented. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
An excellent part of the Foundation story; Arkady is a fun character and the story-telling is top notch. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 2, 2017 |
I love the entire foundation series, very well written and a lot of fun. Definitely a must-read for any sci-fi fan. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 2, 2017 |
Quite simply this is the finest work of science fiction that I have ever read. Asimov had a way of really bringing the characters to life and making you empathize with them.

For me the story was so captivating that I hardly put the book down. And the best part of all is that it was so well written that I did not have a clue how it would end until the last two sentences of the book. Predictable it was not.

I have read this trilogy twice already and it is on my list for another re-read. ( )
  jbwlibre | Aug 11, 2016 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gunn, JamesForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krugman, PaulIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leonian, PhillipCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Punchatz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOUNDATION: Headnote: Hari Seldon -- . . . born in the 11,988th year of the Galactic Era; died 12,069.
FOUNDATION: Text: His name was Gaal Dornick and he was just a country boy who had never seen Trantor before.
FOUNDATION AND EMPIRE: The Galactic Empire Was Falling.
SECOND FOUNDATION: The First Galactic Empire had endured for tens of thousands of years.
This omnibus edition includes: Foundation; Foundation and Empire; and Second Foundation. Please do not combine it with any individual work, or with any other combination of titles. Thank you.

Author: Isaac Asimov Hardcover: 609 pages Publisher: Science Fiction Book Club Publication Date: 2004 ISBN: 0739444050 Package Length: 8.3 inches Package Width: 5.9 inches Package Height: 1.5 inches Package Weight: 1.55 pounds Average Customer Rating: ***** based on 7 reviews Most Helpful Customer Reviews

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:21 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,221,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible