The Forge of God by Greg Bear

The Forge of God (1987)

by Greg Bear

Series: Forge of God (1)

English (37)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (40)
Solid post-apocalypse/alien invasion story, takes quite awhile to get going, but once it gains some tractions it's off to the races. Lots of characters, but centers mostly on one family. Open ended, to set up the inevitable sequel ( )
  unclebob53703 | Apr 19, 2018 |
I gave this book 4 stars. The sci-fi elements of this book were pretty cool, but the characters are not very well developed and the story tends to drag and spends far too little time on the aliens' spaceships/new geological features and the creatures that emerge from them. The robots in particular were a bit confusing, since the book focused only on the discovery of the two biological aliens, not showing the first contact between the robots and the Aussies. I also found it unlikely that humans would be so matter of fact about the confirmed arrival of aliens on Earth and so uninquisitive about all the science-geeky stuff that real humans would be doing all they could to find out- chemical/biochem information about how the aliens work, and all the geophysics, non-human psychology and other fields of inquiry that should have been buzzing from the moment aliens arrived. The humans in Bear's book seemed so tired and apathetic as a species that it was not too hard to accept their demise as inevitable. Still, the plot was complex enough to be pretty unique and entertaining, and I liked the pseudoscience of the method the aliens chose with which to destroy Earth. I'm still not sure what their motive was, but their technology is cool anyway. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
I'll give this an OK rating. I had more than a slight amount of frustration with the storytelling and style and I don't feel like I can give this a fair review. We have a science fiction novel from 1987, set begining in 1996, so you know some things will feel dated, but that is understandable and doesn't bother me at all here. It is basically an end of the world novel. We learn this very early on in the book. I can't put my finger on it, but something about the storytelling in the first part of the book kept me from getting pulled in to the story like I want to be as a reader. There are a lot of mysteries in the book, and some get answered - and some things don't. Was the author purposely misleading the reader? I don't know, but I do think there was some intentional misdirection here which didn't necessarily help the story, although it did keep the tension up to some extent. Some of the author's choices here bothered me - the US President starts going off the rails much too soon. The visitor, called the "Guest" tells them he is dying so please ask him the important questions, and do they? barely. So, ask the important questions! But, as often happens we get a story cut to somewhere else.

The characters here were the big weak point - with one or two possible exceptions - and the large number of them didn't help.

The pace of the novel also seems rather slow in many places. I'll be spoilery here - I don't think it will hurt - the blurbs on the back cover tell you it is an alien invasion end of the world novel - but the best part of the book by far is the latter portion which details the destruction of the planet. It is emotionally wrenching to "watch" it happen, and one can't help but think - "This could really happen." Yosemite is a place I dearly love and when it is destroyed (along with everything, mind you) the author writes: "The death-sound of Yosemite was beyond comprehension having crossed the border into pain, a wide-spectrum roaring howl." The various descriptions of events threw goosebumps all over my body and gave me the shivers. So the end game here made the book worth the read and the epilogue-like finale sets us up for a nice followup novel.

I read about 40-50 pgs of the sequel and didn't care for it so that will be it. ( )
  RBeffa | Sep 2, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this, though it should not have taken me nearly two months to read. It's a highly competent example of Niven-style hard SF. ( )
  UrbanVariable | Sep 1, 2017 |
As always, Bear delivers a well-paced story with with a brisk style that crackles with suspense. For a good two-thirds of the book, tension gradually turns to dread as you realize the worst is indeed in the cards for most of the characters in the story. The means of destruction for the Earth is intriguing and terrifying at once. The appearance of the metal spider salvation adds to the uneasy atmosphere of the book's final chapters, the reader completely unsure of their true nature until the end. The greatest success of this novel is it's never-ending series of mysteries for the various parties to unravel, leaving the reader always guessing whether things just got better or worse. Arthur and his family are the standout characters, one really feeling for poor Martin with his nightmares of a dying Earth at such a young age. Reading the actions of the President in this book made me add a new qualification for whomever I vote for the White House; is this the person I want meeting aliens on my behalf? I have to admit, I'm not the biggest of of apocalyptic tales, but the build-up to it, when the story still held out hope there would be a way out for poor, old Earth, was entertaining to read. The coda to the story is actually an amazing set-up for a much more interesting story that I would love to read. ( )
  Humberto.Ferre | Sep 28, 2016 |
Bear brengt voldoende ideeen samen voor een tiental romans: Europa, de zesde maan van Jupiter, verdwijnt zomaar; in Australie duikt een replica op van Ayers Rock, waar robots uitkomen die het begin van Het Millenium aankondigen, in tegenspraak met een onaards wezen dat verkondigt dat de Aarde gedoemd is tot vernietiging door een naderende wereldbouwer. Deze en andere plotgegevens worden samen verwerkt in een SF-roman die de 'hardcore' (hi-tech SF) combineert met verderreikende elementen zoals vragen omtrent het godsbestaan, boete en humanitaire strekkingen. Bear schrijft zowel 'high fantasy' als 'harde' SF, waaronder deze laatste roman kan gerekend worden, maar er zijn teveel personages, teveel verwikkelingen. Een moeilijk boek, dat weet te boeien door de ideeenrijkdom en de bizarre plotwendingen, waarbij Bear de cliches van het genre keurig vermijdt, en dat de meer ervaren SF lezer zeker zal aanspreken.

(NBD|Biblion recensie, E.C. Bertin.)
added by karnoefel | editNBD / Biblion

The disappearance of one of Jupiter's moons, the appearance of "little green men" in Australia and the American Southwest, and the sudden presence of unidentifiable objects on a collision course inside the Earth's core add up to the inescapable conclusion that the Earth has been invaded by an enemy it cannot fight. Powerfully and gracefully written, the latest novel by the author of Eon and Blood Music stands far above most examples of "doomsday" science fiction. Recommended.

Greg Bearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gutierrez, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

For Alan Brennert, who gave me hell on TV.
Arthur Gordon stood in the darkness by the bank of the Rogue River, having walked a dozen yards away from his house and family and guests, momentarily weary of company.
For a moment, and no more, he felt himself slide into a spiritual ditch, a little quiet gutter of despair. To simply give up, give in, open his arms to the darkness, shed all responsibility to country, to wife and son, to himself. To end the game--that was all it was, no? Take his piece from the board, watch the board swept clean, a new game set up. Rest. Oddly, coming out of that gutter, he took encouragement and strength from the thought that if indeed they were going to be swept from the board, he could then rest, and there would be an end. Funny how the mind works.

On September 28th, a geologist working in Death valley finds a mysterious new cinder cone in very well-mapped area.

On October 1st, the government of Australia announces the discovery of an enormous granite mountain. Like the cinder cone, it wasn't there six months ago....

Something is happening to Planet Earth, and the truth is too terrifying to consider....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:16 -0400)

Earth is threatened by the invasion of an interstellar research probe gone mad, in a study of the complex interactions--and their ramifications--between human passions and the inflexible equations of science.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,526,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible