Schismatrix Plus by Bruce Sterling

Schismatrix Plus

by Bruce Sterling

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (szarka)
    szarka: Seveneves and Sterling's Shapers-Mechanists stories are both concerned with what happens to humanity over long spans of time.

A study of future humanity through space, this book follows the life of one man who I don't particularly care about one way or the other. While the ideas are good, the lack of sympathetic characters makes this a tough read. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |
This is a "grand tour" style novel, set in our Solar System after biopunks and cyborgs get kicked off Earth. It's ironic, funny, and packed full of ideas. ( )
  adamwolf | Jun 7, 2016 |
Different human factions struggle over control of the solar system. The volume contains the novel "Schismatrix", followed by the short stories "Swarm", "Spider Rose", "Cicada Queen", "Sunken Gardens" and "Twenty Evocations", all playing in the same universe. ( )
  seehuhn | Feb 6, 2016 |
I hate to give up on a book once I've started it, but I almost gave up on this one. It is written as if the author was on hallucinogenic drugs. I did manage to slog through and finish the book, but I can't recommend it. Although the story gets a little more coherent as you move through the book, the prose is too filled with imaginative rambles to keep my interest. It is filled with descriptions of what people in "post-human" societies do to "enhance" their bodies. The plot is thin and not well developed. The characters are only mildly engaging. I found it very hard to relate to them. I would have given this one star instead of two, except that I reserve one star for books that I have totally rejected and stopped reading before completion. ( )
  rondoctor | Sep 18, 2015 |
One of the giants and progenitors of post-human sci-fi. Collection of short stories and novellas that are foundational for the genre. One of the few authors who manages to depict minds that just fundamentally doesn't work like ours.
  Clevermonkey | May 29, 2014 |

Bruce Sterlingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ducak, DaniloCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441003702, Paperback)

Bruce Sterling has called his Shaper/Mechanist novel Schismatrix "my favorite among my books." It is a detailed history of a spacefaring humanity divided into two camps: The Shapers, who prefer genetic enhancements, and the Mechanists, who rely on prosthetics. Sterling also published five Shaper/Mechanist stories between 1982-84, which have been collected with the novel in this compendium volume. This book represents the definitive collection of what is arguably Sterling's most intense work, offering a hard, gritty look at humanity as it pushes and claws its way to the stars.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:42 -0400)

In the last decade Bruce Sterling has emerged a pioneer of crucial, cutting-edge science fiction, his work lauded by critics and contemporaries alike. Now for the first time in one volume comes every word Bruce Sterling has ever written on the world of the Schismatrix - where the Shaper revolutionaries struggle against the aristocratic Mechanists for ultimate control of mankind's destiny. Experience the classic full-length novel, Schismatrix, plus thousands of words of mindbending short fiction from a storytelling master in overdrive.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,692,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible