Anathem by Neal Stephenson

Anathem (2008)

by Neal Stephenson

6,275224917 (4.2)1 / 343
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: The plot and writing are really similar: a dense and complex mystery/thriller set in a monastery. The Name of the Rose is historical fiction, not sci fi, but if you enjoyed the complicated and weighty plot, Name of the Rose would also be good… (more)
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (BriarE)
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (Wova4)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (vnovak, szarka)
    The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse (bertilak)
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (freddlerabbit)
    freddlerabbit: See the Name of the Rose recommendation above - I find Foucault's even more analogous here because Name of the Rose is a bit more plot-driven than the other two, where Foucault's and Anathem both have as much as 40% pure theory-disguised-as-dialogue.… (more)
    Excession by Iain M. Banks (elenchus)
    elenchus: Banks also introduces the "out of context" problem central to Anathem, but in a wildly different plot, and universe. Banks is less ontology and more space opera, but I found both books very entertaining, and both Stephenson and Banks sensitive to political questions raised by their respective plots.… (more)
    Embassytown by China Miéville (bertilak, g33kgrrl)
    bertilak: Miéville has written a philosophical science fiction novel that rocks and is not bloated: Stephenson please take note.
    The Clock of the Long Now by Stewart Brand (bertilak)
    The City & The City by China Miéville (chmod007)
    chmod007: Both novels depict coexisting-but-dissociated societies — drastically foreign to the world we live in — but help us reflect on it.
    The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (quartzite)
    quartzite: Both books deal with key groups of people preparing to meet alien cultures with a bit of theology and philosophy thrown in.
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder (SiSarah)
    Evolution's Shore by Ian McDonald (themulhern)
    themulhern: Another book in which the aliens appear with unknown motivations. Here, though, the context is a very contemporary Earth, and so the speculation is much more about the here and now. It spawned a series of which I have not read the rest.
    The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Relativity, space time and geometrodynamics by John Archibald Wheeler (bertilak)
    Finity by John Barnes (szarka)
    Gentlemen of the Road: A Tale of Adventure by Michael Chabon (MarkYoung)
    Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business by Neil Postman (themulhern)
    themulhern: Stephenson himself remarked that Anathem was a book about how people don't read books anymore. Moreover, there is a delightfully satirical sequence in which the characters are discusses serious things over food at a rest stop, and the narrator is repeatedly distracted by images on the speelies that are incoherent yet commanding. Later, the protagonist realizes that one of these images was relevant, and there is another bit of satire.… (more)
    Parallel Worlds : A Journey Through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos by Michio Kaku (bertilak)

English (225)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (229)
Most Stephenson books are 4 stars for me largely because of the style. This like all of them are well written, but feels slow and heavy on the details. He writes hard science fiction where I prefer more sci-fi. ( )
  EltonG | Apr 4, 2018 |
Anathem isn't an easy book, and it's not a quick read. Anathem, however, is very rewarding. A book I will definitely read a second time in a few years and then hopefully a third time, several years later. Neal Stephenson is obviously bursting with knowledge, and I had to look up the meaning of unknown words more than once. Cheers for expanding my vocabulary.

The plot of Anathem takes place on a different planet than ours and Stephenson invented quite a few words to go with it. As a non native speaker I got to play the beloved 'made up word or English word I do not yet know' game. Thankfully the Kindle comes with a dictionary and Anathem comes with an extensive glossary.

After about seventy pages, I felt more comfortable with the language, and the book started to flow. The world building is fantastic, the social commentary funny, and I thoroughly enjoyed the read.

I recommend this to people who love alternative worlds, physics, philosophy and science. And by love, I mean really love. ( )
  Vinjii | Mar 21, 2018 |
Superb SF from Stephenson as usual. Unlike his previous books, it does have an ending. I've seen that some folks have complained about his use of neologisms. Frankly, these people are wimps; go back to reading about Star Wars. ( )
  picklefactory | Jan 16, 2018 |
This book begins rather slowly. But moving from philosophy to a short adventure yarn, NS has laid out a pretty interesting tale. His proofs of interlocking universes is still a bit confusing to my mind. Interstellar travel is proving too hard a sell for his audience , I guess. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Dec 12, 2017 |
Neal Stephenson has accomplished the impossible – he’s jaw-dropping wonderful and brain-slushing boring in the same book. Anathem is difficult to characterize, but probably best described as a science-fiction mystery. Stephenson does an outstanding job of hiding what’s going on without being deliberately obscure; the world he’s created is wonderful; his characterizations are pretty good; his pacing is, as usual, awful. You have to stick with it and I’d advise against trying to read it in bed because there are sections that will put you to sleep. I recommend it, with the caveat that you shouldn’t blame me if it induces narcolepsy. ( )
1 vote setnahkt | Dec 3, 2017 |
Seen through the eyes of a young ascetic named Erasmas, the universe of “Anathem” and its properties are revealed methodically over hundreds of pages, and at first, there is much joy to be found in watching this plausible other reality assemble itself and in observing how it parallels our own.

Too much of the book is dominated by lengthy dialectical debates, whose conclusions are hardly earth-shattering (if you are reading this review, I suspect you already know how to divide a rectangular cake into eight equal servings) and which do little to promote a reader’s engagement with the characters of ­“Anathem,” any more than one cares about the interior lives of Pausanias or Eryximachus while reading “The Symposium.” What’s worse, the book’s fixation on dialogue leads Erasmas (and Stephenson) to simply tell us what is happening or has happened in pivotal scenes, instead of allowing us to see the events for ourselves through descriptive action.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Dave Itzkoff (Oct 17, 2008)

The only catch to reading a novel as imposingly magnificent as this is that for the next few months, everything else seems small and obvious by comparison.

Stephenson's world-building skills, honed by the exacting work he did on his recent Baroque Cycle trilogy, are at their best here. Anathem is that rarest of things: A stately novel of ideas packed with cool tech, terrific fight scenes, aliens, and even a little ESP.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Annalee Newitz (Sep 4, 2008)

Neal Stephensonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stingl, NikolausÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stutz, DavidComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyman, OliverMinor Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
"Do your neighbors burn one another alive?" was how Fraa Orolo began his conversation with Artisan Flec.
"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

For ten years Fraa Erasmas, a young avout, has lived in a cloistered sanctuary for mathematicians, scientists, and philosophers, protected from the corrupting influences of the outside world. But before the week is out, both the existence he abandoned and the one he embraced will stand poised on the brink of cataclysmic change—and Erasmas will become a major player in a drama that will determine the future of his world, as he follows his destiny to the most inhospitable corners of the planet . . . and beyond.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:01 -0400)

Raz, a mathematician, is among a cohort of secluded scientists and philosophers who are called upon to save the world from impending catastrophe.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Neal Stephenson's book Anathem was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,143,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible