Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future (2015)

by Ashlee VANCE, Elon MUSK (Associated Name)

Elon Musk, the renowned entrepreneur and innovator behind SpaceX, Tesla, and SolarCity, sold one of his internet companies, PayPal, for $1.5 billion. Ashlee Vance captures the full spectacle and arc of the genius's life and work, from his tumultuous upbringing in South Africa and flight to the United States to his dramatic technical innovations and entrepreneurial pursuits. Vance uses Musk's story to explore one of the pressing questions of our age: can the nation of inventors and creators who led the modern world for a century still compete in an age of fierce global competition? He argues that Musk is an amalgam of legendary inventors and industrialists including Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Howard Hughes, and Steve Jobs. More than any other entrepreneur today, Musk has dedicated his energies and his own vast fortune to inventing a future that is as rich and far-reaching as the visionaries of the golden age of science-fiction fantasy.… (more)

English (52)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (54)
Some people do good things,some do great things .And then,there are some who do the impossible.In a world full of averages,Elon musk does manage to inspire the mere earthlings to dream beyond the boundaries ,figuratively and quite literally at the same time.
The book is well worth a read for people interested in astounding technology or who might need a dose of little inspiration to fight the adversities. ( )
  RupaliP29 | Feb 11, 2022 |
After reading some biographies of a living person I have felt that I somewhat knew that person. Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future did not give me a sense that I knew Elon Musk. It did give a sense that I knew a lot about how Tesla and SpaceX developed and how Musk operated. Perhaps that was the books intention.

Some time ago I saw a video of Elon Musk and Sal Khan(of the Khan Academy) talking. Sal was interviewing Elon but it was more of a conversation. I was impressed to hear two of the smartest guys anywhere talking. I am still impressed with Musk and I still want a Tesla and Solar City panels on my roof. ( )
  MMc009 | Jan 30, 2022 |
Fascinating but could have been written with a little more flair. Didn't get it finished unfortunately. ( )
  Okies | Jan 25, 2022 |
All I had seen of Elon Musk was that he was very rich, wanted to go to Mars and was not taken seriously. He had short changed and I am glad I read the book. Thank you, C.G.P. Grey, for recommending the book on your podcast. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
Very interesting book about an extremely fascinating man. I learned a lot about technology, manufacturing and business in general. My hopes have been raised about future space exploration. And I really want a Tesla! ( )
  Nefersw | Jan 14, 2022 |

VANCE, Ashleeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
MUSK, ElonAssociated Namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sanders, FredNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Le Séac'h, MichelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mum and Dad. Thanks for Everything.
"Do you think I'm insane?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,017,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible