dismiss

Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for…

Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future (2015)

by Ashlee Vance

Elon Musk, the renowned entrepreneur and innovator behind SpaceX, Tesla, and SolarCity, sold one of his internet companies, PayPal, for $1.5 billion. Ashlee Vance captures the full spectacle and arc of the genius's life and work, from his tumultuous upbringing in South Africa and flight to the United States to his dramatic technical innovations and entrepreneurial pursuits. Vance uses Musk's story to explore one of the pressing questions of our age: can the nation of inventors and creators who led the modern world for a century still compete in an age of fierce global competition? He argues that Musk is an amalgam of legendary inventors and industrialists including Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Howard Hughes, and Steve Jobs. More than any other entrepreneur today, Musk has dedicated his energies and his own vast fortune to inventing a future that is as rich and far-reaching as the visionaries of the golden age of science-fiction fantasy.… (more)
Recently added byoinam, private library, philipanderson, armasdan, Tay318, Kravery, JagannathA

English (32)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (34)
Best Biography I have read till now. ( )
  prayashm | Mar 22, 2020 |
I just got myself a new role model. What a guy! As a mechanical engineer he is almost a demigod to me.
Prior to reading this book, I literally had no idea that he was such a brilliant person. The amount of dedication and conviction he has for his ventures is marvelous.
People who compare him to Steve Jobs can simply go to hell. One one hand, this guy wants to put people on Mars and bring about profound changes in our life; while the other guy just made a bunch of pretentious gadgets.

Gonna be following him really closely from now on.

P.S.: He was featured on the Simpsons; and I also came to know he has made cameos in a few Hollywood flicks (Iron Man 2, Machete Kills, Transcendence). ( )
  Govindap11 | Mar 21, 2020 |
The life of an incredible and fascinating man. ( )
  markwhiting | Mar 21, 2020 |
It's awesome book that clearly telling the story how Elon Musk become the person who on par with Steve Job. This book tell the Journey about how Elon Musk try to make his Dream to come true and the obstacle on his way. If you like reading the story about how people become succesfull I think you need to try this book. ( )
  wayanadhi | Feb 4, 2020 |
I read this book because it was referenced in the (excellent) series of articles on WaitButWhy on Elon Musk and his companies (Tesla and SpaceX, mostly).

Musk is interesting because you never know what's going to happen next with him. He's doing things in his spare time that other people could not do full-time, and his companies are always either successful multi-billion-dollar enterprises or close to financial ruin (sometimes switching between the two multiple times a year). You never know what he's going to be doing next, and you also never know if his companies will still exist in a year (although that has gotten better in recent years), but you can be sure it will be spectacular, both in success and failure.

After reading this book, I have both more and less respect for Elon Musk. More because he's doing a ton of stuff, most of it good, and he shows a vision that many others are lacking. And less because in doing so, he can be pretty brutal to work with. All in all, I'm glad Musk exists and is doing what he's doing (better electronic cars, solar power, and cheap and reusable access to space), but would not apply to work at one of his companies anytime soon. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |

Ashlee Vanceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sanders, FredNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mum and Dad. Thanks for Everything.
"Do you think I'm insane?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,752,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible