Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

Annihilation

by Jeff VanderMeer

Series: Southern Reach Trilogy (1)

Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (Tuirgin)
    Tuirgin: The Strugatsky Bros.' Roadside Picnic seems to be a touchstone of the Southern Reach Trilogy—and this continues with greater parallels in Authority. The styles of writing are entirely different, but the concept of Area X is a definite echo of the Zone. Roadside Picnic is a classic of European Science Fiction and well worth reading.… (more)
    Authority by Jeff VanderMeer (sturlington)
    Solaris by Stanisław Lem (ShelfMonkey)
    Wool by Hugh Howey (thenothing)
    thenothing: dystopia, conspiracy
    Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer (LiteraryReadaholic)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (LiteraryReadaholic)
    The Dream Archipelago by Christopher Priest (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both contain landscapes and people that play with with our sense of reality.
    The Ruins by Scott Smith (BeckyJG)
    The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway (hairball)
    hairball: Maybe it's the fuzzy cover of the one book, but they remind me of each other.
    The Last Letter (Conversation Pieces, Vol 31) by Fiona Lehn (psybre)
    psybre: Also set in an odd near-future (where an environmental disaster has made an entire island dangerous and soon to become uninhabitable).
    The Other Side of the Mountain by Michel Bernanos (marietherese)

English (126)  All (1)  Italian (1)  All (128)
Mixed thoughts...a very odd, short book, but still intriguing. I suppose the proof will be in the sequel(s), because at first reading, I did not like the style nor the world he created. Apart from the weird tableau, his insistence on the anonymity of his characters in this book is annoying (referring to them only as their professions, or "my husband"). Still, there is a creativity that is there and I certainly didn't read this expecting something familiar. The story however, while clearly an opener for something to follow - meaning unresolved mysteries leaving the reader hanging - did not end with me wanting more... I barely forced myself to finish this one.

I should reveal that this is the first fiction of VanderMeer's I've read. It could well have been the last, but I will read at least the next to see if it gets better and I do admit curiosity to see where he is going. If he was trying for scary...sorry, the annoyance factor eliminated that (but to be fair, no fiction book can ever scare me). Eerie? Well, yes, but "weird" is a better descriptor. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Haunting story of a mystery that remains a tantalizing mystery still at the end of the book. In many respects this book reminded me of A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay. The plots bear no similarity, but the sense that I can almost understand what the story is about is very similar. This explains the wide range of responses to this book. Some people love it, others hate it. If you want all the answers by the end of the book, then this is not for you, because by the end of the book you will probably have even more questions.

I also was intrigued by the book, because as a biologist myself, I can relate to the main character. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
Kinda torn on this one. The first 90% was extraordinary. Very very disappointing ending. ( )
1 vote kallai7 | Mar 23, 2017 |
(7/10) There was something about this book that I found really compelling, I just had to keep reading to find out what was going on. From that perspective it's a great read, the mystery is all consuming and the feeling throughout is ominous, you can just feel the "not rightness" of Area X coming straight off the page. The Biologist, whose journal narrates the story, is another mystery within Area X, she has no name and you only get the details she decides to give you, this really adds to the uncertainty of the facts you are presented with, I ended up questioning everything, it's a very clever way to add to the atmosphere of the story.

What I am frustrated about now I've finished is the lack of resolution, I still have no clue what Area X is and what happened there, is there a creature? Is The Biologist just mad? Is this all some big government conspiracy? Who are the Southern Reach? I've been left with more questions than answers and I hate when a book does that to me! I guess I'll just have to read the next one to find out ... ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | Mar 8, 2017 |
This is just a taste for a proper review to follow.   What freaked-up daydream I've just woken up from.   What lingers after having read it is the unbearable dread that it gives off. I've always thought that Vandermeer can set a book's atmosphere like no other writer. I just wish this volume and the two to come out this year should have been published as a single unity. That aside the first volume still works on several levels.   Another writer would not have been able to write a first volume as contained in itself as this one was. The ending was strange and a little bit off-putting. This would prove deeply unsatisfying in most novels, making me suspicious the writer couldn't actually decide what was going on, but it works here.   After "Finch" (which I didn't like), Vandermeer is the true master of the weird, the gory,. He's always able to pull twisted narrative threads out like a loose stitch." ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
...strange, clever, off-putting, maddening, claustrophobic, occasionally beautiful, occasionally disturbing and altogether fantastic...Annihilation is a book meant for gulping — for going in head-first and not coming up for air until you hit the back cover.
added by zhejw | editNPR, Jason Sheehan (Feb 7, 2014)

"Annihilation," in which the educated and analytical similarly meets up with the inhuman, is a clear triumph for Vandermeer, who after numerous works of genre fiction has suddenly transcended genre with a compelling, elegant and existential story of far broader appeal.
added by zhejw | editLos Angeles Times, Lydia Millet (Jan 20, 2014)

Jeff VanderMeerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aula, NikoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyquist, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strick, CharlotteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ann
The tower, which was not supposed to be there, plunges into the earth in a place just before the black pine forest begins to give way to swamp and then the reeds and wind-gnarled trees of the marsh flats. Beyond the marsh flats and the natural canals lies the ocean and, a little farther down the coast, a derelict lighthouse. All of this part of the country had been abandoned for decades, for reasons that are not easy to relate. Our expedition was the first to enter Area X for more than two years, and much of our predecessors’ equipment had rusted, their tents and sheds little more than husks. Looking out over that untroubled landscape, I do not believe any of us could yet see the threat.
Desolation tries to colonize you.
"Annihilation!" she shrieked at me, flailing in confusion.  "Annihilation! Annihilation!" The word seemed more meaningless the more she repeated it, like the cry of a bird with a broken wing.

If J.J. Abrams, Margaret Atwood, and Alan Weisman collaborated on a novel . . . it might be this awesome

Area X has been cut off from the rest of the continent for decades. Nature has reclaimed the last vestiges of human civilization. The first expedition returned with reports of a pristine, Edenic landscape; all the members of the second expedition committed suicide; the third expedition died in a hail of gunfire as its members turned on one another; the members of the eleventh expedition returned as shadows of their former selves, and within months of their return, all had died of aggressive cancer.
     This is the twelfth expedition.
     Their group is made up of four women: an anthropologist; a surveyor; a psychologist, the de facto leader; and our narrator, a biologist. Their mission is to map the terrain and collect specimens; to record all their observations, scientific and otherwise, of their surroundings and of one another; and, above all, to avoid being contaminated by Area X itself.
     They arrive expecting the unexpected, and Area X delivers—they discover a massive topographic anomaly and life forms that surpass understanding—but it’s the surprises that came across the border with them, and the secrets the expedition members are keeping from one another, that change everything.
     Annihilation is the first volume in Jeff VanderMeer’s Southern Reach trilogy, which will be published throughout 2014: volume two (Authority) in June, and volume three (Acceptance) in September.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:32 -0400)

Area X has claimed the lives of members of eleven expeditions. The twelfth expedition consisting of four women hopes to map the terrain and collect specimens; to record all their observations, scientific and otherwise, of their surroundings and of one another; and, above all, to avoid being contaminated by Area X itself.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,487,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible