Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

Annihilation

by Jeff VanderMeer

Series: The Southern Reach Trilogy (1)

2,8862022,945 (3.69)1 / 268
Recently added byImmstra, private library, stonebirdge, John_Mulligan, rena75, Sarah_Klein, Cauterize, alljson
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (Tuirgin)
    Tuirgin: The Strugatsky Bros.' Roadside Picnic seems to be a touchstone of the Southern Reach Trilogy—and this continues with greater parallels in Authority. The styles of writing are entirely different, but the concept of Area X is a definite echo of the Zone. Roadside Picnic is a classic of European Science Fiction and well worth reading.… (more)
    Authority by Jeff VanderMeer (sturlington)
    Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Solaris by Stanisław Lem (ShelfMonkey)
    Swamplandia! by Karen Russell (andomck)
    andomck: Swamps are crazy, man
    The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Scientists exploring an alien environment
    Nova Swing by M. John Harrison (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: The infection/mutation of characters and their ambivalent encounters with transcendent power are in both cases oriented toward a mysterious region of putatively non-human influence.
    The Ruins by Scott Smith (BeckyJG)
    The Dream Archipelago by Christopher Priest (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both contain landscapes and people that play with with our sense of reality.
    The Drowned World by J.G. Ballard (ShelfMonkey)
    Wool by Hugh Howey (thenothing)
    thenothing: dystopia, conspiracy
    The Last Letter (Conversation Pieces, Vol 31) by Fiona Lehn (psybre)
    psybre: Also set in an odd near-future (where an environmental disaster has made an entire island dangerous and soon to become uninhabitable).
    Cold Skin by Albert Sánchez Piñol (FFortuna)
    The Other Side of the Mountain by Michel Bernanos (marietherese)
    The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway (hairball)
    hairball: Maybe it's the fuzzy cover of the one book, but they remind me of each other.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (LiteraryReadaholic)

English (195)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (199)
Yeah, I can see how some people would really like this but it wasn't working for me. I didn't appreciate the vagueness of the characters and found myself wondering why I cared about the Mysterious Area X (spoiler alert it turns out I didn't care about it). ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
I previously rarely read such kind of novels, but really enjoyed this one. ( )
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
Annihiliation is the first novel in The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer.

Plot:
A biologist, a psychologist, a surveyor and an athropologist cross over the border into Area X. Strange things are going on there and the four women are tasked to find out more about the goings-on inside the area. They are the 12th expedition already. The biologist’s husband was part of the 11th. So far, no expedition has returned as they have left, if they returned at all. Something weird is going on there, as the small group quickly learns.

Annihilation is an absolutely strange read that I’m still not entirely sure I actually understand but that was utterly engrossing – whether because or despite of that, I do not know. I just know that it gave me goosebumps more than once.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2018/03/12/annihilation-jeff-vandermeer/ ( )
  kalafudra | Dec 28, 2018 |
(This review can also be found on my blog.)

When I saw the first trailer for the Annihilation movie several months ago, I immediately added the book to my TBR-ASAP shelf on Goodreads without even reading through the description. I put in a hold at the library, waited patiently, and then devoured the book immediately after checking it out.

The effect of this cannot be understood without being there. The beauty of it cannot be understood, either, and when you see beauty in desolation it changes something inside you. Desolation tries to colonize you.

It’s been a while since a book has hooked me so strongly from the first page, but Annihilation did just that. The writing was just gorgeous, and I was instantly pulled into the world of Area X that VanderMeer had created. From the outset, I didn’t want to put it down, but I forced myself to work my way through slowly and to savor every page.

But there is a limit to thinking about even a small piece of something monumental. You still see the shadow of the whole rearing up behind you, and you become lost in your thoughts in part from the panic of realizing the size of that imagined leviathan.

I adored the narrator and loved the style in which the book was written: a journal penned carefully by the biologist, detailing her experiences on the expedition. The reader’s awareness of Area X, and the events taking place within it, relies completely on what the biologist is willing to share. I loved that she could be a bit of an unreliable narrator, and that she was able to outright admit to intentionally manipulating the reader with what she shared.

But soon enough I banished this nonsense; some questions will ruin you if you are denied the answer long enough.

If you’re the type of reader who wants all of their questions answered, this book isn’t for you. There is no omniscient narrator to share the secrets of Area X with us. There is only the biologist and what she knows, or what she thinks she knows.

I can say without a doubt that Annihilation is now one of my all-time favorite books, and will certainly be on my top 10 list at the end of 2018. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the Southern Reach trilogy has in store for me. ( )
  samesfoley | Dec 26, 2018 |
Very intriguing book. I was especially intrigued by the imagery and the plot. Extremely original. I am impressed. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Dec 17, 2018 |
...strange, clever, off-putting, maddening, claustrophobic, occasionally beautiful, occasionally disturbing and altogether fantastic...Annihilation is a book meant for gulping — for going in head-first and not coming up for air until you hit the back cover.
added by zhejw | editNPR, Jason Sheehan (Feb 7, 2014)

"Annihilation," in which the educated and analytical similarly meets up with the inhuman, is a clear triumph for Vandermeer, who after numerous works of genre fiction has suddenly transcended genre with a compelling, elegant and existential story of far broader appeal.
added by zhejw | editLos Angeles Times, Lydia Millet (Jan 20, 2014)

Jeff VanderMeerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aula, NikoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blomeyer, MarionCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellner, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyquist, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strick, CharlotteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ann
The tower, which was not supposed to be there, plunges into the earth in a place just before the black pine forest begins to give way to swamp and then the reeds and wind-gnarled trees of the marsh flats. Beyond the marsh flats and the natural canals lies the ocean and, a little farther down the coast, a derelict lighthouse. All of this part of the country had been abandoned for decades, for reasons that are not easy to relate. Our expedition was the first to enter Area X for more than two years, and much of our predecessors’ equipment had rusted, their tents and sheds little more than husks. Looking out over that untroubled landscape, I do not believe any of us could yet see the threat.
Desolation tries to colonize you.
"Annihilation!" she shrieked at me, flailing in confusion.  "Annihilation! Annihilation!" The word seemed more meaningless the more she repeated it, like the cry of a bird with a broken wing.

If J.J. Abrams, Margaret Atwood, and Alan Weisman collaborated on a novel . . . it might be this awesome

Area X has been cut off from the rest of the continent for decades. Nature has reclaimed the last vestiges of human civilization. The first expedition returned with reports of a pristine, Edenic landscape; all the members of the second expedition committed suicide; the third expedition died in a hail of gunfire as its members turned on one another; the members of the eleventh expedition returned as shadows of their former selves, and within months of their return, all had died of aggressive cancer.
     This is the twelfth expedition.
     Their group is made up of four women: an anthropologist; a surveyor; a psychologist, the de facto leader; and our narrator, a biologist. Their mission is to map the terrain and collect specimens; to record all their observations, scientific and otherwise, of their surroundings and of one another; and, above all, to avoid being contaminated by Area X itself.
     They arrive expecting the unexpected, and Area X delivers—they discover a massive topographic anomaly and life forms that surpass understanding—but it’s the surprises that came across the border with them, and the secrets the expedition members are keeping from one another, that change everything.
     Annihilation is the first volume in Jeff VanderMeer’s Southern Reach trilogy, which will be published throughout 2014: volume two (Authority) in June, and volume three (Acceptance) in September.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:32 -0400)

Area X has claimed the lives of members of eleven expeditions. The twelfth expedition consisting of four women hopes to map the terrain and collect specimens; to record all their observations, scientific and otherwise, of their surroundings and of one another; and, above all, to avoid being contaminated by Area X itself.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,818,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible