Wilder Girls (2019)

by Rory Power

A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER! "Celebrates the resilience of girls and the earthshaking power of their friendships. An eerie, unforgettable triumph." --Claire Legrand, New York Times bestselling author of Furyborn "Wilder Girls is so sharp and packs so much emotion in such wise ways. I'm convinced we're about to witness the emergence of a major new literary star." --Jeff VanderMeer, New York Times bestselling author of Annihilation A feminist Lord of the Flies about three best friends living in quarantine at their island boarding school, and the lengths they go to uncover the truth of their confinement when one disappears. This fresh, new debut is a mind-bending novel unlike anything you've read before. It's been eighteen months since the Raxter School for Girls was put under quarantine. Since the Tox hit and pulled Hetty's life out from under her. It started slow. First the teachers died one by one. Then it began to infect the students, turning their bodies strange and foreign. Now, cut off from the rest of the world and left to fend for themselves on their island home, the girls don't dare wander outside the school's fence, where the Tox has made the woods wild and dangerous. They wait for the cure they were promised as the Tox seeps into everything. But when Byatt goes missing, Hetty will do anything to find her, even if it means breaking quarantine and braving the horrors that lie beyond the fence. And when she does, Hetty learns that there's more to their story, to their life at Raxter, than she could have ever thought true. 4 STARRED REVIEWS! "Fresh and horrible and beautiful....readers will be consumed and altered by Wilder Girls."-NPR "This thrilling saga...is sure to be one of the season's most talked-about books, in any genre."--EW "The perfect kind of story for our current era." --Hypable "Take Annihilation, add a dash of Contagion, set it at an all-girls' academy, and you'll arrive at Rory Power's occasionally shocking and always gripping Wilder Girls."--Refinery29… (more)

TRIGGER WARNINGS (as stated on Rory Power’s website):
Graphic violence and body horror. Gore.
On the page character death, parental death, and animal death, though the animals are not pets.
Behavior and descriptive language akin to self harm, and references to such.
Food scarcity and starvation. Emesis.
A scene depicting chemical gassing.
Reference to suicide and suicidal ideation.
Non-consensual medical treatment.

Raxter School for Girls went under quarantine after the TOX broke out a year and a half ago. Two surviving teachers and a few girls are all that is left at the island boarding school. The TOX affects everyone differently – an extra spine, a sealed eye with something moving underneath, a silver hand… The TOX has also turned the wilderness beyond the school’s gates wilder than before. Hetty and her best friends Byatt and Reese, must fight for survival with the others while they wait for a cure.
Firstly, I immediately fell in love with the cover of the book – HOLY COW IT’S BEAUTIFUL! I would have this as a poster hanging in my house. The art gives the book even more beauty once you know its secrets.
As I’ve seen many other describe it, I would say the genre is “dystopian feminist horror”. The horror wasn’t a scared, tense-filled horror, but more of an uncomfortable, skin crawling horror. It was gruesome in parts, but only because it would be describing what was happening with the girls.
“It’s like that, with all of us here. Sick, strange, and we don’t know why. Things bursting out of us, bits missing and pieces sloughing off, and then we harden and smooth over.”
The writing was a bit choppy in parts, but it worked because it was the character’s thought process. It was so well written I nearly read it all in one setting. I stayed with it and kept turning pages because I wanted to know what would happen to Hetty, Byatt, and Reese. I also wanted desperately to know how the TOX happened to begin with. ( )
  oldandnewbooksmell | Sep 24, 2021 |
Starting this book I thought I wouldn't like it because it wasn't really what I thought in terms of plot and the circumstances of the quarantine but after reading a bit more I was hooked. I grew to like Hetty's character and I felt invested in the future of these girls. It did not disappoint me and the ending was clarifying enough.
I didn't find too gory or scary and in this case it was fine. ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
Described as a modern feminist ‘Lord Of The Flies’ with themes like: isolation, hierarchy and establishing dominance in a group, all while having a horror twist/vibe to it. After seeing this cover, I had to have this book. I read ‘Lord Of The Flies’ ages ago and I was curious to see this concept with some twists and horror added to it.

Raxter School for Girls has spent the last 18 months in lockdown. It’s located on an island and that island has been completely quarantine, no one gets in or out. The reason behind it is the Tox. Almost all the teachers are dead and now it’s slowly eating at the girls. The Tox mutates their bodies into something strange and foreign. Three girls, Hetty, Byatt and Reese all have their own way of coping with this strange situation. When Byatt goes missing in a strange turn of circumstance Hetty and Reese must do all they can to find their friend, dead or alive.

Boy was this a good book. I enjoyed myself while reading this. Was it perfect? Nope was it entertaining? Hell yeah! The book starts off with the proper world building which was really well done. I understood the dynamics and the whole situation the book was set in pretty quickly which I have to give the author credit. I liked the concept this book had and it was pretty well executed. The characters were fine. Not really memorable but still good. I really liked the main character of Hetty and was impressed by her growth throughout the book. After hearing it being compared to ‘Lord Of The Flies’ I have to say I get it but I also don’t get it. The idea is pretty similar and the whole alone with a group of kids on an island is the same but I feel like this book didn’t take it as far as the classic did. Even though this is put in a horror genre.

Overall a really good and fun book that I basically read in only a couple of sittings. Is it a new classic? Not really but still a great read.
  luclicious | Sep 20, 2021 |
It was weird. It was gruesome. It wasn't a bad book, but it just wasn't for me. I am sure others will love it. For me it was just ok. ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
this was so brutal and gory and sad, I want to become a creature ( )
  jooniper | Sep 10, 2021 |

Rory Powerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aydogdu, AykutCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flath, ReginaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, EileenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilinsky, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All things counter, original, spare, strange - Gerard Manley Hopkins, "Pied Beauty"
To my mother, and to me, and to the versions of us who never thought we would arrive here together
Something. Way out in the white-dark. Between the trees, moving where the thickets swarm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,464,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible