HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Wilder Girls (2019)

by Rory Power

Friends Hetty, Byatt, and Reece go to extremes trying to uncover the dark truth about the mysterious disease that has had them quarantined at their boarding school on a Maine island.

Get ready for a slow burn virus outbreak read.

I'd been hearing about this book from many of the bookish people I follow, and put off reading it because of it's YA nature. I'm not here for teen drama y'all. But I figured I would give it a try since I found the audiobook on Libby. Rory Power does an excellent job at capturing the emotional state of girls ranging in age of 13 - 18 living through something unfathomable. There was none of the tropey things I usually loathe about YA reads.

The story focuses on one friend group, following them as they push through each day, wondering if a cure will come, who will be assigned what duties, and will this next wave be the one that kills them. It sucks you in, the slow build of the description, and the nature of the disease. At first I was wanting more information but looking back it was a great way to ramp up the build to the climax of the story. The virus is the mystery for the reader to discover as the story progresses. Mistakes are made, emotions run hot, and lies come out. I couldn't help but wonder what I would have done as the adult in the sea of adolescents girls, looking to me to make the best choices for their survival.

Overall the virus is unique and I loved the flair of how it presented in various ages/sexes & wildlife. I was a bit disappointed in the ending. While it's a solid ending, it left too many 'real world' questions for me. I did love the aspects that dealt with how each characters story is wrapped up. Just the overall ending to the outbreak was a tad lackluster. Kind of makes me want a second book, though. So maybe it did it's job.

REP: Lesbian
TW: suicide, murder, graphic gore ( )
  SabethaDanes | Jan 30, 2023 |
This was a really good YA dystopian novel with a beautiful book cover. The story was decent, the writing was good, the characters were solid. Overall a very enjoyable read. It's on par with The Girl with all the Gifts or Maze Runner series or even the Uglies series. Although, to be honest, I personally enjoyed all of those listed just a tad bit more.

Highly recommend for YA dystopian novel lovers. ( )
  paroof | Dec 20, 2022 |
5 ✰ | ( )
  gabbxoo | Dec 18, 2022 |
3,3 star

This read like a book where the author came up with an admittedly intriguing setting, and wanted to tell a story about survival and loyalty and the crumbling of society within that setting. However, for me, the story itself read a lot more like a series of loosely connected snapshots (with a handful of them missing), rather than a cohesive plot.

The characters were okay, if not at all relatable. The author tried to make them a lot more special than was warranted (and I'm not talking about the Tox, I'm talking about the personalities) and there were parts where I couldn't get over the overly melodramatic writing. Throughout the book, I felt very detached and I didn't really feel anything for anyone, good or bad.

I've heard some people being pretty disappointed with the ending, but I felt it was pretty much on par with the rest of the book. Disjointed, incomplete, dissatisfying for anyone looking for any level of resolution or conclusion. But I didn't think the ending ruined the book, as such.

The writing was otherwise pretty good though, so I'll be keeping an eye out on what Power comes out with next. ( )
  tuusannuuska | Dec 1, 2022 |
3.75?????

really don't know how i feel about the ending ( )
  changgukah | Aug 22, 2022 |

Rory Powerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aydogdu, AykutCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flath, ReginaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, EileenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilinsky, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All things counter, original, spare, strange - Gerard Manley Hopkins, "Pied Beauty"
To my mother, and to me, and to the versions of us who never thought we would arrive here together
Something. Way out in the white-dark. Between the trees, moving where the thickets swarm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,904,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible