Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer

Acceptance

by Jeff VanderMeer

Series: The Southern Reach Trilogy (3)

1,2098210,010 (3.6)1 / 90
    As She Climbed Across the Table by Jonathan Lethem (sturlington)
    sturlington: I feel VanderMeer must have been reading early Jonathan Lethem when he wrote the Southern Reach trilogy, as well as watching old episodes of Lost.

Acceptance is the third novel in The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer.

Plot:
Area X is still as much of a mystery as it ever was. But there is hope in one final expedition to at least gain some insight. Or stop the Area from growing. Or maybe the answers lie in the past of the Area, in the time where the lighthouse was still being taken care of and the Southern Reach didn’t exist yet.

Acceptance is an excellent conclusion, or rather lack of conclusion for the trilogy that ends as weird as it started.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2018/06/19/acceptance-jeff-vandermeer/ ( )
  kalafudra | Mar 18, 2019 |
A fantastic end to an unsettling but rewarding trilogy. I'm not sure that I ever really understood what was going on, but this was grounded enough to make it worthwhile. It's a meditation on identity and man's relationship to nature and it's both comforting and highly disturbing. I love these gorgeous editions that I bought and I'm sure this series will haunt me for a while. ( )
2 vote asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
I had to force myself to finish the first book in the trilogy, but over the years I developed a craving to read the rest. Apparently, Area X has had its way with me too! I wouldn't recommend reading the 3 books so widely spaced apart, but given how ineffable (but readable!) the story is, it doesn't matter that much. I found the characters unforgettable, and that's all I needed to stay immersed. Vandermeer is a master! ( )
1 vote badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
Wait.. What? This book was supposed to finish the series but it left me with more questions:
Did the S&SB really start this all? And HOW? Was Jack and Severance the root of it all? What happened with Control when he went through? Does Grace and Ghostbird make it back? Is Lowerey working for area X? Is the earth still there? Come on!! ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
i hoped for more clear answers in the last volume ( )
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
[T]he real accomplishment of these books lies less in their well-designed plots than in VanderMeer’s incredibly evocative, naturalist eye....

At its best, VanderMeer’s language is precise, metaphorical but rigorous, and as fertile as good loam. More than mere atmosphere, the rich natural details are the trilogy’s most powerful technique — and, in some ways, its point....

With Area X, VanderMeer has created an immersive and wonderfully realized world; I wouldn’t be surprised if he revisits it. If so, I’ll happily sign up for the next expedition.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Scott Hutchins (Sep 12, 2014)

One peculiar satisfaction of being a reader is seeing an author you have followed for a long time finally break into the big time. VanderMeer has been a favourite among aficionados of New Weird fiction for more than a decade, exploring his fascinations with fungi, subterranean spaces and decay across half a dozen books. But with his Southern Reach trilogy – Annihilation, Authority and Acceptance, all released in 2014 – he has finally hit the bestseller lists. And with good reason. This trilogy is a modern mycological masterpiece.

Finding a way satisfactorily to pay off so much mysteriously tense apprehension is no small challenge for a writer – and VanderMeer manages to avoid banality and opacity both, and generates some real emotional charge while he's about it.
added by zhejw | editThe Guardian, Adam Roberts (Aug 27, 2014)

Jeff VanderMeerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blomeyer, MarionCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellner, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyquist, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ann
Just out of reach, just beyond you: the rush and froth of the surf, the sharp smell of the sea, the crisscrossing shape of the gulls, their sudden, jarring cries.

It is winter in Area X. A new team embarks across the border, on a mission to find a member of a previous expedition who may have been left behind. As they press deeper into the unknown—navigating new terrain and new challenges—the threat to the outside world becomes only more daunting. In this last installment of the Southern Reach Trilogy, the mysteries of Area X may have been solved, but their consequences and implications are no less profound—or terrifying.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:59 -0400)

It is winter in Area X. A new team embarks across the border on a mission to find a member of a previous expedition who may have been left behind. As they press deeper into the unknown, navigating new terrain and new challenges, the threat to the outside world becomes more daunting.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,383,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible