Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer

Acceptance

by Jeff VanderMeer

Series: The Southern Reach Trilogy (3)

1,0837211,110 (3.6)1 / 85
    As She Climbed Across the Table by Jonathan Lethem (sturlington)
    sturlington: I feel VanderMeer must have been reading early Jonathan Lethem when he wrote the Southern Reach trilogy, as well as watching old episodes of Lost.

The first book is definitely the strongest, but I did like this trilogy and enjoyed this final volume. It does not end up with clear answers and explanations, and the ones you get are a bit vague and felt a bit random. There are multiple narratives in this book and you get more background/history as well as pushing forwards. I liked learning about the lighthouse keeper and that some of the strands came together, but was just left still feeling a bit confused by it all. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Aug 10, 2018 |
I've been putting off reading the final volume in this series for a while, and I was hoping that seeing the movie adaptation of the first book would jumpstart my desire to finish this trilogy. Alas, I found the movie to be a dull mess. It took someone putting a hold on my library copy to finally make me power through Acceptance. Or suffer through, rather.

As with the second book, I found my biggest obstacle to finishing was be the immediate and unstoppable need to fall asleep whenever I read the book while sitting or lying down. I usually have problems napping in the afternoon, but Acceptance worked wonders there.

Having sidelined the biologist and her 2.0 version in much of the second novel, I was hoping the author would bring her back in force for the conclusion. But, no, two thirds of the book are two different flashback sequences filling in the past of the psychologist when she was a child and when she was running the Southern Reach before the 12th expedition. Boring as dirt, the both of them.

And the present day sequences are filled with nothing but pointless meandering. The looming dread of the first volume is gone. The mythology has no payoff, tied up with a whimper after the explosive bang that ended the second volume. I invoked the TV series Lost when I reviewed volume one. Unfortunately, this book ends as poorly as that series.

Huge disappointment. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
This is the final book in the Southern Reach trilogy. I enjoyed it, but I sometimes got restless while reading it, more so than with the previous books. I also wasn’t entirely satisfied with all the answers. We do finally end up with some answers, but the important ones are pretty vague.

This is the only book in the series with multiple points of view. Those POVs take place at different times in the over-all story, so we finally get a much more coherent picture of the chain of events, from beginning to end. It’s a little bit out of order, due to jumping around between the different POVs/time periods, but I found it easy enough to follow it and sequence things correctly in my head.

The why’s and how’s behind some of the major events, on the other hand, were a lot less clear. The author gave some hints, but they weren’t very satisfying to me. The ending is also quite ambiguous, and I’m not usually a fan of ambiguous endings. So over all I enjoyed the series, and I don’t regret the time I spent on it, but I was hoping for something more from the final book than what I got. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Jul 7, 2018 |
I am still trying to process the three books. Or maybe my clone is (pun from the books). ( )
  frschof | Jul 3, 2018 |
Rating – 5 out of 5
Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer, the last in the Southern Reach Trilogy, gives answers to some of the questions that we have been wondering. It follows what happens inside the Southern Reach after the surprise ending of Authority, as well as following other timelines that led up to the beginning of the mysterious phenomenon. As we get deeper into the details of what lies behind the shimmer, we learn that answers are not as clear as we would like. In fact, the only thing left, might be questions.

Read the review - https://bythecoverreview.com/2018/07/01/acceptance-by-jeff-vandermeer/ ( )
  bythecoverreview | Jul 1, 2018 |
[T]he real accomplishment of these books lies less in their well-designed plots than in VanderMeer’s incredibly evocative, naturalist eye....

At its best, VanderMeer’s language is precise, metaphorical but rigorous, and as fertile as good loam. More than mere atmosphere, the rich natural details are the trilogy’s most powerful technique — and, in some ways, its point....

With Area X, VanderMeer has created an immersive and wonderfully realized world; I wouldn’t be surprised if he revisits it. If so, I’ll happily sign up for the next expedition.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Scott Hutchins (Sep 12, 2014)

One peculiar satisfaction of being a reader is seeing an author you have followed for a long time finally break into the big time. VanderMeer has been a favourite among aficionados of New Weird fiction for more than a decade, exploring his fascinations with fungi, subterranean spaces and decay across half a dozen books. But with his Southern Reach trilogy – Annihilation, Authority and Acceptance, all released in 2014 – he has finally hit the bestseller lists. And with good reason. This trilogy is a modern mycological masterpiece.

Finding a way satisfactorily to pay off so much mysteriously tense apprehension is no small challenge for a writer – and VanderMeer manages to avoid banality and opacity both, and generates some real emotional charge while he's about it.
added by zhejw | editThe Guardian, Adam Roberts (Aug 27, 2014)

Jeff VanderMeerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blomeyer, MarionCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellner, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyquist, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ann
Just out of reach, just beyond you: the rush and froth of the surf, the sharp smell of the sea, the crisscrossing shape of the gulls, their sudden, jarring cries.

It is winter in Area X. A new team embarks across the border, on a mission to find a member of a previous expedition who may have been left behind. As they press deeper into the unknown—navigating new terrain and new challenges—the threat to the outside world becomes only more daunting. In this last installment of the Southern Reach Trilogy, the mysteries of Area X may have been solved, but their consequences and implications are no less profound—or terrifying.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:59 -0400)

It is winter in Area X. A new team embarks across the border on a mission to find a member of a previous expedition who may have been left behind. As they press deeper into the unknown, navigating new terrain and new challenges, the threat to the outside world becomes more daunting.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,826,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible