Ashes of Honor

by Seanan McGuire

Series: October Daye (6)

"It's been almost a year since October "Toby" Daye averted a war, gave up a county, and suffered personal losses that have left her wishing for a good day's sleep. She's tried to focus on her responsibilities-training Quentin, upholding her position as Sylvester's knight, and paying the bills-but she can't help feeling like her world is crumbling around her, and her increasingly reckless behavior is beginning to worry even her staunchest supporters. To make matters worse, Toby's just been asked to find another missing child...only this time it's the changeling daughter of her fellow knight, Etienne, who didn't even know he was a father until the girl went missing. Her name is Chelsea. She's a teleporter, like her father. She's also the kind of changeling the old stories warn about, the ones with all the strength and none of the control. She's opening doors that were never meant to be opened, releasing dangers that were sealed away centuries before-and there's a good chance she could destroy Faerie if she isn't stopped. Now Toby must find Chelsea before time runs out, racing against an unknown deadline and through unknown worlds as she and her allies try to avert disaster. But danger is also stirring in the Court of Cats, and Tybalt may need Toby's help with the biggest challenge he's ever faced."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

I liked the Chelsea plot more than the cats' intrigue. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
It has been almost a year since the events of One Salt Sea and, understandably, Toby still hasn’t recovered one hundred per cent. I won’t say what from, because spoilers, but if you’ve read the book you’ll know.

But she is back on the job, private detectiving2 and all that. And as always she has a soft spot for children in need, so when Etienne comes to her with the story of a daughter he never knew about going missing she is straight on the case

It’s always tough reviewing books in a series because in many ways I’m just repeating myself. If you haven’t read any of the previous books then you aren’t going to read this review because well, what’s the point in finding out about the sixth book when you know nothing about book one. Most people start at the beginning.

And if you have read the rest of the series, well, you must be enjoying it, so of course you’re going to read this one, right?

So I’ll keep this one real short. Urban fantasy. Changelings. The dangers of the fae. Action. Death. Blood and violence.

And Toby is pretty damn cool. She isn’t perfect, but then, who is? And she knows she’s not perfect so that always helps. She knows she’ll always try to be the hero, she knows she won’t always save the day, but she’ll always try to. ( )
  Fence | Jan 5, 2021 |
Took me a while to get this book, so I read a bunch of others while waiting for it to ship. Starting the series back up again... I forgot how good this series was. Worth the wait! A lot happens in this one. A lot of hidden truths come out. Super fast read and enjoyable as always. Creative, interesting, fiery... very visual. Highly recommend this series. ( )
  LongDogMom | Jan 4, 2021 |
After the initial investment in both the world of Ms. McGuire's fae and and Toby, I feel completely justified in becoming a fanboy. Both the characters and the stories are strong, but like most urban fantasy, characters are where everything shines. Toby's losses and gains don't feel stretched. I'm honestly enjoying her new-found powers better than the original under-powered hero that just narrowly escapes certain death. This story continues the feel of larger stakes like the one immediately prior, but on a different scale altogether. My only complaint is that there ought to have been more concern among the fae court or just about everyone in the summerlands with the implications. That didn't detract from the tension and the involvement I felt as a reader, though. I felt like I was falling into the story and more than the rest of them, I got lost within it. That's high praise. ( )
1 vote bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Entertaining. :) ( )
  ElentarriLT | Mar 24, 2020 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Deborah, and all the red-cloaked girls who ever left the safest path.
The night sky over San Francisco was a patchwork mixture of starry black and cloudy gray, all of it washed out by the ambient light drifting up from the city below.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,141,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible