The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection

by Alexander McCall Smith

Series: Pienten muutosten kauneussalonki (13), No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (13)

"Precious Ramotswe is back and, as usual, her plate is full! She's called in to tackle a mysterious disciplinary problem at her adopted daughter's school...Her infinitely trustworthy assistant, Grace Makutsi, is having trouble adjusting to wedded bliss, a problem to test even the formidable talents of Mma Ramotswe...And the estimable Clovis Andersen, author of The Principles of Private Investigation--the No. 1 Ladies' prized manual--has arrived, right there, in Botswana, on a case of his own. Bush tea anyone?"--… (more)

The title doesn't reflect the plot. There is no Limpopo Academy of Private Detection, it's just an idea of Clovis Anderson that is not likely to happen. Such a title reflects this book's blandness - no main plot and three stray storylines that are not very interesting. ( )
  siok | Feb 27, 2022 |
What you see is the glow of the Makutsi Ramotswe friendship. I have two minor reservations. 1) The title seems to refer to a future event rather than something in this book. 2) The resolution of both mysteries is off-stage although I am prepared to accept this. If Mma Ramotswe is satisfied than I guess I will be too. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
I always come away from books in this series with a smile on my face and a warm glow in my heart. They also make me long for Africa. They capture so much that is good about the continent. Undemanding to read and some may say simplistic and predictable but every few months I certainly need to indulge myself in the charm and good hearted ness that ooze from these pages. To quote " The human heart, you see, ....is pretty much the same wherever one goes.....all human hearts are the same, no matter how different we are on the outside". ( )
  Patsmith139 | Mar 15, 2021 |
This is a wonderful and tender story. Smith takes great care of his characters and introduces us to a mythical figure from the series. I love this world so much. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
In this novel, Pcrecious Ramotswe faces three cases. In one her friend Mme Potokwani has a new member of the board of the children's orphanage she manages who wishes to build a new central facility for the orphanage which would defeat the philosophy of the place. Why is he forcing his plans on her?

The second case in involves Fanwell who works in Speedy Motors and is arrested for car theft.

Case three concerns the building of the new house of Mme Makutsi and her husband and what appears may be a crooked builder.

The big surprise in this novel is the appearance of Clovis Andersen, the man who wrote the book, The Principles of Private Detection, which is the bible the Ladies Detective Agency follows so successfully. ( )
  lamour | Sep 16, 2019 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andoh, AdjoaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kern, ÉlisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McIntosh, IainCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Hilary Neville-Towle, with gratitude.
In Botswana, home to the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency for the problems of ladies, and others, it is customary - one might say very customary - to enquire of people whom you meet whether they have slept well.
The verandah of the President's Hotel is not a place in which a great deal happens. This is not in any way to disparage it: it is important that there should be places where not a great deal happens because such places remind us that life is not entirely and exclusively made up of exciting or significant events. Every life needs spells of calm, every life needs expanses of time when nothing much occurs, when one may sit for several hours in the same place and gaze upon static things, upon some waxen-leafed desert plant, perhaps, or a patch of dry grass. Or a group of cattle standing under a tree for the shade, the slow, flicking movement of their tails the only indication that they are animate beasts, not rocks; or a sky across which no clouds, or perhaps only the merest wisp of white, moves.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,347,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible