Another Homecoming

by Janette Oke, Davis T. Bunn (Author)

Series: Kyle Adams (1)

In the wake of her husband's presumed death, a young war bride makes a desperate choice to give her baby a better life. However, her choice will have unforeseen ramifications for more lives than she ever expected. The baby girl, named Kyle by her adoptive parents, grows up with no knowledge of her humble beginnings. When a heartbreaking loss pits Kyle against her high society mother, secrets from Kyle's past come to light. Suddenly, she finds herself searching for the family she never knew and a faith she's only beginning to understand. With all that has come before, will Kyle ever be able to find home?… (more)

This was one of the best Christian fiction books I've read in a while! Janette Oke and T. Davis Bunn work well together, and wrote an engaging and in-depth story.
Without giving too much away, (so you may enjoy it yourself!) Another Homecoming is the story of a young newlywed wartime mother-to-be, whose life is changed drastically by unforeseen events. It is also the story of a family with a cold mother, and a loving father, and a little girl named Kyle.
The book centers around 2 families, the one of Kyle Rothmore, a wealthy young lady, and Maggie and Harry, a middle class family who struggles to reconcile with the hardships life has brought their way.
What I liked best about this book was the openness to share the TRUE Gospel of Jesus Christ, which is what CHRISTIAN fiction SHOULD be about!!
Christian fiction authors, please read this book, and then follow the Godly example of T.Davis Bunn and Janette Oke, and add more to your books about salvation through
Jesus Christ, as they so eloquently have done. So many Christian fiction and Christian historical fiction authors have lukewarm or non-existent witnesses of how to have eternal
life through Jesus Christ, the Saviour and Lord of all who will be born again. God gave you the talent to write books, please HONOR Jesus in your books, openly.
I highly recommend this book. Please read Romans 10:9-13. ( )
  EnnyBrown | Sep 16, 2021 |
With her husband off fighting in the Second World War, the last thing a woman like Martha wants to receive is one of those dreaded...telegrams. But its arrival leaves Martha with a heart-wrenching decision to make—one that will profoundly impact a number of lives in the years to come in Another Homecoming by authors Janette Oke and T. Davis Bunn.

It's been over twenty years since the first time I read this book. My return to it was purely for comfort reading, and even with the way that I and my preferences for Christian Fiction have changed over the years, sheer comfort is what I got from reading this a second time.

It's a gentle drama, somber and grave in different ways but also infused with nostalgic Americana and, ultimately, hope.

I wouldn't call the novel perfect, as some aspects are a little overdone, oversweet, or redundant. Some of the characters could have used more dimension, especially the key villain. Also, the story may tell about the heroine without showing enough about her, as she largely seems to be a rather passive part of the story until the last fifth or quarter.

Even so, books don't have to be perfect to give me a meaningful experience, and there are reasons why this serious, warm, and life-affirming novel has remained in my memory. Though it's unlikely that I'll revisit the sequel, I'm so glad to have read this one again. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Jan 9, 2021 |
I did enjoy this book very much. I think this is the first Janette Oke book that I've read.

Oke describes with eloquence the hollowness of a life lived without a belief in Jesus. Her characters resonate with depth of spirit or with the futility of a life lived without that underpinning. Her descriptions of Martha, Harry and Joel, of Kyle, of Kyle's mother, of Kenneth - are very recognizable to me. Actually, this little book helped me to think through some important issues. ( )
  wareagle78 | Feb 3, 2014 |
Brother and Sister raised separately, but unite as adults. Brother has heart condition.
  pbhenry | Apr 28, 2012 |

Oke, JanetteAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bunn, Davis T.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,836,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible