We Are All Weird

by Seth Godin

Seth Godin calls for the end of mass and for the beginning of offering people more choices, more interests and giving them more authority to operate in ways that reflect their own unique values. A celebration of choice, of treating different people differently and of embracing the notion that everyone deserves the dignity and respect that comes from being heard.… (more)

I like Seth Godin. This book is a very very very fast read, and there is nothing really surprising in it. I still feel like his book Linchpin is really the thing to read. However, I can't argue with much in this book, and it is fun. ( )
  bloftin2 | May 4, 2023 |
Seth Godin has been an entrepreneur, publisher, writer, public speaker and consultant on Internet marketing and business. We are All Tribes first appeared as as “powered by Amazon” short book published by Godin’s Domino Project and more conventionally published by Penguin in 2015. Godin also had used his opinions in a Ted Talk.
It is a short, fairly simple story for sellers, marketers and ad-persons. It argues that consumers with money and abnormal (in the statistical meaning of non-mean) taste have great power when they can assemble into tribes that smart sellers, marketers and ad persons can please by offering creative, diverse, and authentic products and experiences. He claims that old marketing delivered by mass channels of communication was aimed at the mass of consumers found under the middle of a mean distribution graph (Bell curve). He uses “weird” to redefine abnormal to something close to demanding, sophisticated, hip, kinky, or woke although he does not use those terms. He flatters and cons consumers into believing they have power. He says the mean distibution curve has become wider, and presents sellers and marketers with a larger but more diverse public of modern, clever, unique weird individuals aggregated into tribes (niches?). He claims that the market respects consumers. He claims that marketing to abnormal interests gives consumers more choices, and a better chance of finding the item they need at an affordable price.
It was among many techno-utopian books that valorized woke marketing. It fails to consider obsolescent and unrepairable products, surveillance tracking, targetted advertising, price discrimination and other predatory practices that are becoming better understood. ( )
  BraveKelso | Jan 12, 2023 |
Not my cup of tea. 'nuff said. ( )
  Drunken-Otter | Aug 20, 2021 |
I started this book several months ago and I find it strange that it never took hold for me. I usually devour Seth's books. This one -- just isn't doing it for me. I'll keep it on my list and maybe someday I will pick it up and 'GET' the point. ( )
  Jolene.M | Jul 30, 2020 |
  bibliosk8er | Aug 16, 2018 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,181,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible