Rise of the Videogame Zinesters: How Freaks, Normals, Amateurs, Artists,…

by Anna Anthropy

Part critical essay, part manifesto, part DIY guide and altogether unprecedented, Anna Anthropy's Rise of the Videogame Zinesters shows why the multi-billion dollar videogame industry needs to change - and how a new generation of artists can change it. In this first intergalactic offensive against corporate systems of production, condescending media coverage and pervasive 'gamer' culture, Anthropy takes a look at the new artists who are beginning to build an alternative body of work. A unique guide for anyone who wants to join the coming revolution of videogames.… (more)

If you are thinking about making a game but are intimidated by all the tooling options, or scared that it won't be "good enough," this book is for you. It's a great message that making games is for everyone, along with solid advice on how to get started.

After years of talking about it, I finally made a game thanks to this book. Thanks! ( )
  lobstersreading2 | Jan 25, 2020 |
Most people cite this book as an inspiration to "go out and make games". However this quick read is a lot more than that. It's both inspiring and a guide on where to start, how to start and what things you can use to make a game.

The only drawbacks I can really find is that it sometimes gets disjointed in flow of information. Sometimes it seems the topic will change completely mid subject.

Overall it's a nice book to read if your interested in game development and design. ( )
  Maverynthia | Jul 29, 2017 |
Great! It's an energetic call to get out there and make games, and a pretty good argument that the indie game scene of 10s could learn a thing or two from the zine scene of the 90s. Also a pretty quick read. And one that'll make you want to immediately go make a game or two. Which, I suppose, is the point. ( )
  chasing | Jan 18, 2016 |
Short ode to the potentials of single-authored videogames made using readily available software, often for free or donation-funded distribution. I have to admit that it’s not a genre that I’ve ever been fannish about or see myself getting fannish about, but I recognize the emotions and commitments, and if videogames are a major method of communication then absolutely we need not just the blockbusters but everything else. ( )
  rivkat | Aug 2, 2013 |

Seven Stories Press

2 editions of this book were published by Seven Stories Press.

Editions: 1609803728, 1609803736

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,131,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible