Eloise Wilkin Stories

by Eloise Burns Wilkin

320463,780 (4.4)None
A collection of stories originally published as Golden Books and illustrated by Eloise Wilkin, including "Baby, Dear," "At Sunset," and "Wonders of Nature." Includes a biographical sketch of Wilkin written by her daughter.

Contains 9 stories, and a foreward by Eloise Wilkin's daughter. Titles include: Busy Timmy by Kathryn & Byron Jackson; Guess Who Lives Here? by Louise Woodcock; My Little Golden Book About God by Jane Werner Watson; Wonders of Nature by Jane Werner Watson; Selections from A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson; We Help Mommy by Jean Cushman; Baby Listens by Esther Wilkin; Baby Dear by Esther Wilkin; Baby Looks by Esther Wilkin; "Little Boy Blue" from Baby's Mother Goose; "At Sunset" from Eloise Wilkin's Book of Poems by Deborah Wilkin Springett; A Remembrance of Eloise Wilkin by Jane Werner Watson.
1 vote | RaskFamilyLibrary | Mar 22, 2019 |
I loved Eloise Wilkin when I was younger, but I'm afraid these stories are a product of their times. No more milk delivery, too sexist, and just too sappy. I will say I really liked 'Wonders of Nature' by Jane Werner Watson, though - Wilkin's illustrations do it justice and it is good science. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Summary:
This book contained many short poems. The poems all had diverse subjects but all were interesting to read. They are all poems that i believe everyone has grown up on and guaranteed to have heard one before.

Personal Reaction:
I loved this book and enjoyed bringing back memories of listing to these poems in my school. It brought new perspective on them and i was actually able to see more into the poems than before. I really enjoyed it.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have each child pick out their favorite poem. They then can draw a picture or just simply explain why this is their favorite one and how they relate to it.
2. Find the poems on disc and integrate the cd with the book and let each child join into reading it along.
  CaitlinJones | Mar 12, 2013 |
My son has handled, read, and pored over every page in this collection so much that it is barely holding itself together! I wish I could find the individual books, but they are a bit hard to come by (Ebay, etc.). I remember the illustrations from my childhood, so I must have pored over them as well. Both the gentle illustrations and realistic stories are perfect for the beginning or pre-reader. ( )
1 vote saskreader | Jan 26, 2009 |
Baby dear / by Esther Wilkin --
Baby looks / by Esther Wilkin --
"Little boy blue" from Baby's Mother Goose --
"At sunset" from Eloise Wilkin's Book of poems --
A remembrance of Eloise Wilkin / by Jane Werner Watson.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,260,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible