Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Last Guardian (2012)

by Eoin Colfer

Series: Artemis Fowl (8)

"Teenage genius Artemis Fowl and his arch rival Opal battle to the last in this eighth and final book in series"--

English (60)  German (1)  All languages (61)
After book 7 I was scared this would be also a dud. But it was a great ending/adventure.

Also I've re-read this but because it was the last one not as much as the first book. Therefore some things were still a suprise to me! ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
So. Opal Koboi is back and she's trying once again to rule/end the world (I'm not sure she knows the difference any more).

The basic idea of Koboi ordering her younger self killed in order to set up a paradox / magical explosion... just to steal that energy and use it to activate some ancient Fairy doomsday spell? That's pretty cool.

That ancient magic spell to bring back some ten thousand year dead fairies as zombies and end the world? Blowing up any bit of technology Koboi had a hand in--including most recent human technology--a bit weird. It's got all the set up of an armageddon in progress, but we never really feel the scope of it.

When we finally get to the big showdown, it's somewhat underwhelming. Fowl saves the day, although his plan is rather luckluster compared to what he's been shown capable of. And then he dies. Except... not really? An odd choice. Also, the modern world has basically been crippled. I kept expecting a reset button, but I guess one of the advantages of being the last book in the series is that Colfer doesn't have to figure out the logistics of where the world can go from here. It doesn't really feel over though.

I'll give some credit at least. I liked the Last Guardian more than the Atlantis Complex. Not really saying much there.
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
A great ending to a fantastic series. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
This is the perfect ending to a glorious series. I wouldn't want it any other way. It's explosive and thrilling from cover to cover. I loved the Fowl twins; can we have a book around them? Or just LEP in general - I need more Foaly and his lady in my life. I have a feeling Colfer isn't returning to the world of Artemis Fowl any time soon, judging by all the sequels he's writing to his other series - but if that's true, that's actually all right. The end of this book was awesome and really puts the entire series in a new light, if you choose to believe that Holly has been telling the story of Artemis from the beginning the entire time, which I do. ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
When I picked up the first Artemis Fowl novel I was immediatly hooked on the witty, brilliant, sarcastic, and often obnoxious protagonist. Many years later (I wouldn't admit to how many, even if I did remember), Artemis Fowl remains one of my favourite fictional characters, and these books will always have a place on my bookshelf. Over the course of the series he grows as a person (dare I say, he actually matures), but even though he switches sides and is not longer out to get the Faerie People he retains his sense of unquestioning tactical brilliance that inevitably saves the day.

In this, the final book of the series, Artemis chooses to make the ultimate sacrifice as he goes head to head with Opal Koboi one final time for the fate of the Earth, but in true Artemisian style he has a back up plan that is 99.9% sure to work. If only the people who he leaves in charge are smart enough to figure it out in time...

As much as I am sad that this will be the last installation in this epic series, I am glad that Colfer chose to end it on a high note. The characters have evolved, but they have not changed completely, and it is clear that they will continue to mature over time if left to their own devices. Many long children's series end up changing drastically over their publication history, and end on a level that is not at the same maturity level as the earlier books (Harry Potter is an example of a series maturing older, and the Crestomanci series is one which devolved to be read by a much more youthful audience), but comparing the first and last Artemis books reveals an artistic unity that aids the series as a whole. The entire series could have been published in the same year,when in fact they are spread out, and are highly enjoyable from start to finish

Maybe someday in the far future Colfer will pick up with a series about the younger Fowl children, as this novel sets them up as more defined and unique characters, who have just as much to offer the world as Artemis did. Or maybe they'll actually get around to finishing the script on the movie adaptation, as the world is still waiting for that! ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |

Eoin Colferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the Fowl fans who journeyed to the Lower Elements with me. Thank you.
The Berserkers lay arranged in a spiral under the rune stone, looping down, down into the earth - boots out, heads in, as the spell demanded.
"I want you to know, my dear friend, that without you, I would not be the person I am today. I was a broken boy, and you fixed me. Thank you."  -Artemis Fowl
"Tell me," Artemis said, his voice still weak. "How do I know you?" And so Holly began her story: "It all started in Ho Chi Minh City one summer. It was sweltering by anyone's standards. Needless to say, Artemis Fowl would not have been willing to put up with such discomfort if something extremely important had not been at stake. Important to the plan..."

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,339,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible