Vessel

by Sarah Beth Durst

When the goddess Bayla fails to take over Liyana's body, Liyana's people abandon her in the desert to find a more worthy vessel, but she soon meets Korbyn, who says the souls of seven deities have been stolen and he needs Liyana's help to find them.

A quick, fun read in a land of magic and tradition. Liyanna's story is compelling in how it shows a young girl's struggle to reconcile loyalty to her people with love for her family and the simple joys of living. ( )
  Pascale1812 | Apr 16, 2020 |
RGG: Strong well-written well-paced fantasy set in a unique desert setting.
  rgruberexcel | Sep 15, 2019 |
Interesting and nicely world-built, with an excellent heroine and a nice supporting cast, but it was quite simple, and I found myself really yearning for more complexity and depth. It could have used some of the space that was otherwise devoted to love-interesting, which could also have benefitted from a little more rationality (and less of the counter-thrust of "no, this mustn't be allowed"; she insists that she can't, but she never actively tries to talk herself out of it). I did enjoy the desert setting, though the separateness of clans seemed like it wasn't actually logistically supportable, and I wished for more vivid description (especially of the sky serpents, who wound up being important).

In all: good, but just not great. ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
High fantasy and romance in which Liyana must save her tribe by performing the duties required as the human vessel of a goddess.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Sep 24, 2016 |
Gods, Sacrifice, love and adventure all blend together in this wonderful fantasy. it follows an amazing heroine as she struggles to make a sacrifice to save her people.She meets and grows to know many gods, people and hear their stories. There is a lot of myth/story sharing which I loved.
Liyanna, she never weekend her beliefs, she does not cower in fear she charges into action even when all seems hopeless. She walks with the Trickster god- Raven, a fascinating man/god to spend time with. She is strong, smart and loyal. She had me cheering, sifting and laughing, just a fantastic character.
There is a bit of a love triangle but it is not what you have read before. This is an intelligent book with intelligent characters. Duty. logic and loyalty are at work here. I think it is a true unselfish love I wish we would see more of in books.
I loved it, I will search out books from this author in the future.

TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |

Sarah Beth Durstprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibarra, JaimeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For my daughter and my son, my Liyana and her Jidali
On the day she was to die, Liyana walked out of her family's tent to see the dawn.

Sarah Beth Durst is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,145,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible