Caliban's War by James S. A. Corey

Caliban's War

by James S. A. Corey

Other authors: Daniel Abraham (Author), Ty Franck (Author)

Series: The Expanse (2)

Four stars, that's not bad is it? It's a struggle to rate this book because the read was so disjointed - the parts I loved, well I loved, but there were parts that were superficial and contrived.

Overall, it's a good read; I love big sprawling space opera type books of which this is one of them. But it doesn't quite ring as true as the first volume of this trilogy "Leviathan Wakes", the characters seem almost frozen in cliché - one swears a lot, one is grumpy a lot, you have your bumbling mad scientist, etc. and you just kinda know it's going work out. And it does.

But the action parts are just fantastic and the descriptions of space and space ships and society do ring true, and is worth putting up with less quality characters for the good world building.

Let's hope the third book in this trilogy brings back the entire magic of the first volume. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
This book was as good as or better than the first book "Leviathan Wakes". Fast paced with several fun new characters joining the team as the stakes ratchet up another level and the mystery of Venus begins to overwhelm the governments of the solar system. I was hooked on this series after reading "Leviathan Wakes" and was reeled in by Caliban's war. ( )
  Gkarlives | Jan 25, 2017 |
Sometimes you need to read a so-so sequel to realize how good the first book in a series actually is. Caliban's War picks up about a year after Leviathan Wakes left off. It introduces some new characters, including Chrisjen and Bobbie, who are sorely needed female characters who go against the sci-fi female stereotype embodied in Naomi. This book has a few strategic space battles, perfectly choreographed for TV/film, and a lot of political intrigue. Villains and motivations are a little hazy, making getting through the middle sections a bit tough, and I deeply miss Detective Miller and life on Ceres. The book ends on a cliffhanger and the technique works: I want to read the next book. ( )
  Virginia-A | Dec 21, 2016 |
I think I enjoyed this book even more than I did Leviathan Wakes. Granted, the plots are remarkably similar but this book added two new thoroughly delightful characters. The first is Gunnery Sergeant Roberta "Bobbie" Draper, a 6' 6", 220 lb. (all muscle) Martian Marine with a huge score to settle. Also new, unless you've been watching The Expanse on SyFy Channel, is Chrisjen Avasarala, a high-ranking U.N. official whose grandmotherly appearance is offset by a vocabulary that would make sailors blush. (Avasarala is ably played by Emmy Award-winning Iranian actress Shohreh Aghdashloo.) Both of these strong female characters greatly enhance what was already a very entertaining character mix.

The story gets off to a rapid start with a child kidnapping in the first chapter and Bobbie's entire squad being wiped out by a horrific monster in the second. Once Captain Jim Holden and the crew of the Rocinante get involved you know for certain that things will be getting even hairier in a hurry.

I look forward to reading book three in the Expanse series, Abaddon's Gate.

My thanks to the folks at the Goodreads SciFi and Fantasy Book Club group for giving me the opportunity to read and discuss this and many other fine books.

FYI: On a 5-point scale I assign stars based on my assessment of what the book needs in the way of improvements:
*5 Stars – Nothing at all. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
*4 Stars – It could stand for a few tweaks here and there but it’s pretty good as it is.
*3 Stars – A solid C grade. Some serious rewriting would be needed in order for this book to be considered great or memorable.
*2 Stars – This book needs a lot of work. A good start would be to change the plot, the character development, the writing style and the ending.
*1 Star - The only thing that would improve this book is a good bonfire. ( )
  Unkletom | Dec 1, 2016 |
A sequel that's every bit as good as the first book. I like the new characters and I'm looking forward to the next book. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bester and Clarke, who got us here
"Mei?" Mis Carrie said. "Please put your painting work away now. Your mother is here."

We are not alone.

Caliban's War is a breakneck science fiction adventure following the critically acclaimed Leviathan Wakes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:52 -0400)

We are not alone. On Ganymede, breadbasket of the outer planets, a Martian marine watches as her platoon is slaughtered by a monstrous supersoldier. On Earth, a high-level politician struggles to prevent interplanetary war from reigniting. And on Venus, an alien protomolecule has overrun the planet, wreaking massive, mysterious changes and threatening to spread out into the solar system. In the vast wilderness of space, James Holden and the crew of the Rocinante have been keeping the peace for the Outer Planets Alliance. When they agree to help a scientist search war-torn Ganymede for a missing child, the future of humanity rests on whether a single ship can prevent an alien invasion that may have already begun . . .… (more)

190 wanted4 pay1 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,763,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible